Legal Ramifications For Abandoning Wife For Philippines

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I would check with a lawyer.

In most countries, disability pensions cannot be touched - divorce or not.  Military retirement pension (regular) can be taken.  The divorce would most likely have to be carried out in the US though.  But please!  Do not treat this as gospel - I"m not an american and I may be wrong!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I'm wanting to leave my wife without any legal processing. What are my risks? I'm a US citizen living in moldova. She is from Moldova herself.

Im pretty sure my disability pay would be up for grabs if divorce commences. All my hard work for the military would be cut in half. Do you have documental proof that this is not possible?

The postings on this topic have been very good.

We don't have legal expertise to provide advice. The most anyone can offer is suggestions on a course of action. The main issue is who has jurisdiction if there are legal proceedings against you. USA or Moldova? Where did the marriage take place? Is your wife a US citizen or legal resident?

• Like 2

06charger
Posted
Posted

The marriage took place in America and she is not an american. She is a Moldova national.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
The marriage took place in America

Then I think, the main other question will be, where are you thinking of getting Divorced? the answer to this may well have a big Bearing on things.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The marriage took place in America

Then I think, the main other question will be, where are you thinking of getting Divorced? the answer to this may well have a big Bearing on things.

Other questions are:

Is scammer so worth scamming back?

Is she in USA or Moldovia?

Is he bothering to divorce or just leave?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I would assume that, since you were married in the US, you move back to the US and she doesn't come with you, well, then you should be able to file for divorce on the grounds that she deserted you.  Or I may be wrong.  Ask a lawyer!

• Like 1

06charger
Posted
Posted

I'm opting sometimes just to leave but more then likely a divorce would be here in Moldova.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I'm opting sometimes just to leave but more then likely a divorce would be here in Moldova.

Then I would hazard a guess, that Moldovan Law will Prevail!

BTW I read on this somewhere, that if you run and are missing for 3 years, she can presume you dead! is this so?

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

I don't want to pry into your personal situation but something to consider is the length of your marriage, if it only been a short period of time, I would be surprised if she could claim anything but all countries do have different laws, as suggested here get some legal advice but get it sorted because if you don't you can bet your left nut that sometime, some where in the future it will come back to bite you on the arse, I know that from personal experience, good luck to you.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

As we have said none of us are lawyers and we can only surmise, on things as we know them, from our own Countries and personal experience.

I came across 2 links that you may find useful, the second one was a little eye opener to me.

I hope, you can get sorted and wish you well.

1.http://www.furtunalawyers.pro/divorce-moldova-general-overview/

2. http://www.allmoldova.com/en/moldova-news/1249055140.html

3. Someones elses story that might be good reading ;http://www.visamoldova.co.uk/myhistory.htm

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1