Relocating To Baguio

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Baguio is a good place to live if you like Typhoons.  If you move there you should buy a small boat and some paddles.  A boat will be your main transportation during and after the 20 Typhoons per year that come through there.

Like typhoons just pop up over Baguio and leave the rest of Luzon alone.

By the time a typhoon gets to Baguio in the mountains all you get are some strong wind gusts and heavy rains.

Since there aren't many areas which are flat there are only a few areas that flood in Baguio. 

Having lived through one typhoon season already the only concern I have during heavy rains from typhoons is traveling the mountain roads here. They become very hazardous in the heavy rain when there is low visibility and landslides. Other than that I would rather be up here in the highlands during a typhoon than in the lowlands.

• Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
By the time a typhoon gets to Baguio in the mountains all you get are some strong wind gusts and heavy rains. Since there aren't many areas which are flat there are only a few areas that flood in Baguio.

This is also what I've heard from Filipinos who have resided both in Baguio and in the lowlands.  They've experienced typhoons in both places, so can make that comparison.

Now I don't know about the frequency of earthquakes in Baguio, but I am told that when an earthquake does occur, because of the altitude, it is inherently more dangerous.

But, if you like mountains, cool weather and good vegetables, Baguio is a clear choice.  People are great too...we found the hotel staff (cleaners included) to be immensely helpful and well spoken!

And, because there are a fair amount of Ilocanos in the mix, you will find that the people are industrious (I know I've heard that Igorots do not share that reputation, but I can't say I've come across that yet).

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

By the time a typhoon gets to Baguio in the mountains all you get are some strong wind gusts and heavy rains. Since there aren't many areas which are flat there are only a few areas that flood in Baguio.

This is also what I've heard from Filipinos who have resided both in Baguio and in the lowlands.  They've experienced typhoons in both places, so can make that comparison.

Now I don't know about the frequency of earthquakes in Baguio, but I am told that when an earthquake does occur, because of the altitude, it is inherently more dangerous.

But, if you like mountains, cool weather and good vegetables, Baguio is a clear choice.  People are great too...we found the hotel staff (cleaners included) to be immensely helpful and well spoken!

And, because there are a fair amount of Ilocanos in the mix, you will find that the people are industrious (I know I've heard that Igorots do not share that reputation, but I can't say I've come across that yet).

I didn't think that earthquakes would be more dangerous at altitude.  The opposite, is it better to be at the bottom of the mountain as the rocks fall on you or at the top?  Sgt. Keyes always said if the chute doesn't open wait ill you're just above the ground and jump.  It can then be returned for a new one, no questions asked.      

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

I didn't think that earthquakes would be more dangerous at altitude.  The opposite, is it better to be at the bottom of the mountain as

the rocks fall on you or at the top?  Sgt. Keyes always said if the chute doesn't open wait till you're just above the ground and jump. 

It can then be returned for a new one, no questions asked.

Good morning Gerald,

As always, your logic is spot on!  Since Mt Pinatubo's massive eruption (bigger than Mt St Helen) in 1991, that region of

central Luzon should be quiet for the next 600 years or so.  Additionally, I can't stand the heat and the tropical humidity

anymore.  During long term brownouts while residing in Manila, Cavite and Batangas, those damn mosquitoes are always

a kill joy, while I'm sweating like a stuffed greasy pig.  No power, no fan and no patience for me.  I turn into a psycho with

a full can of Bygone!

Whereas in Baguio, cooler temps means a cooler disposition for me.  If I need to hit the beach, San Fernando City facing

South China Sea is about an hour plus drive down the mountain.  Angeles City and Subic are also great choices to reside.

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Last year, we were planning a trip to Baguio when a typhoon showed up on the radar, headed that direction.  I immediately said ok, trip cancelled.  I lived in Florida through several hurricanes, and logic told me your don't drive towards the path of a typhoon, you drive in the opposite direction!   :bash:

I had some very disappointed faces here.  They were really looking forward to the trip to see sisters, brothers and cousins.  I was a very mean guy to cancel the trip.  I called and talked to Abby's brother, who I trust, and he said don't worry, come on up.  As long as you get up the hill before it arrives, no problem here.  As Earthdome said, the roads up can be bad during a storm, but the city is actually protected from most of the bad stuff.

And he was right.  We made the trip.  I think the storm diverted a bit but it still got windy and there was a lot of rain, but to the locals it was just another day at the office.  Here is Subic Bay, we have mountain protection from the west to east typhoon paths, and Baguio has similar protection, being surrounded by mountains.

We are headed up again on Friday and I am looking forward to the trip, rain or shine!

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Baguio is a good place to live if you like Typhoons.  If you move there you should buy a small boat and some paddles.  A boat will be your main transportation during and after the 20 Typhoons per year that come through there.

Possibly you meant storms, not typhoons.  Baguio gets a LOT of record setting rain from the storms, but I think it is unusual to get typhoon strength winds.  The current infrastructure for flood control is pretty darn good.  It has to be.  Pick a good place to live and you should be fine.

You can see listings of all Pacific storms here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pacific_typhoon_seasons

And certainly many are not typhoons and many do not hit the Philippines and many do not hit Baguio.

Baguio is still on my list of places I might end up when I am older.  I like it there a lot and when I am an old(er) fart I might just end up there.

• Like 4

losd
Posted
Posted

I have lived in Baguio over a year now. I can't say I have stuck my nose into every nook and cranny.

Generally Baguio feels like a safe place to live. Not a great deal of crime from what I read in the local paper. The only place I have heard bad things about is the wet market area, but only after dark. 

Best source of information is to stop by the local expat hangout, The Red Lion Pub, at the corner of Leonard Wood Rd and Gen Luna Rd.

I have met expats there who have lived in Baguio over a decade who know the city much better than I do.

I found my apartment after speaking with expats at the pub. New building, grounded electrical, nice granite counters, great location in the Navy Base area (St. Joseph Village). Close enough to downtown so I can walk there in 30 minutes.

I like the area going east of downtown Baguio out Leonard Wood Rd towards Mines View better because it is not as densely populated, there are more pine trees and better views.

There are 2 new condos (8-10 stories) within a block of where I live. One has sold about half their units. The other is still under construction.

I have heard there are some gated communities here in Baguio but I haven't seen them yet.

Good luck in your search. Remember that the best way to find a place to live is by personal contacts and talking to people. I didn't have much luck using the local classified ads or the internet in my search for a place to live.

Thank you earthdome a hoard of snippets to check-out there. Cities are complex places, but sounds like you have done a fair bit of exploring, very useful to hear your experiences and thoughts. Being close enough to walk to the town centre is a definite "must", and a relatively nice view (be it buildings or nature) would be nice, other than that, reasonably peaceful (don't mind usual sounds of families, kids playing or traffic, in fact its nice to know people are around in this way often I find). I will investigate the new condos and areas you mentioned. I read about the pub a while ago, I must definitely pay it a visit as soon as I can, and I agree personal contacts are invaluable, and as for talking, couldn't agree more!

losd
Posted
Posted

I have lived in England, you get a love, indeed a need to get drenched as often as possible there, simply because the alternative is madness ;) But more seriously, I have kept a "weather-eye" on Baguio for some time now, and it certainly rains a lot, and then some, at times... and I don't belittle the difference between a typhoon and the usually blander European flavors of rain. But while not exactly relishing the prospect it is not something I am overly concerned about. Words stored to be eaten later perhaps :) Maybe I could get a kayak though...

• Like 2

losd
Posted
Posted

It may not be as bad as Americano implies, but it would be an apt description for some videos I have seen. I would pay particular attention to the elevation of my possible living quarters.

Hmmm, good point, maybe skip viewing ground floor accommodation in some areas...

• Like 1

losd
Posted
Posted

Like typhoons just pop up over Baguio and leave the rest of Luzon alone.

By the time a typhoon gets to Baguio in the mountains all you get are some strong wind gusts and heavy rains.

Since there aren't many areas which are flat there are only a few areas that flood in Baguio. 

Having lived through one typhoon season already the only concern I have during heavy rains from typhoons is traveling the mountain roads here. They become very hazardous in the heavy rain when there is low visibility and landslides. Other than that I would rather be up here in the highlands during a typhoon than in the lowlands.

Yes, I also keep an eye on the weather in other parts of the Philippines from the comfort of my cellphone, not so accurately perhaps, but rain and winds certainly don't seem to be restricted to Baguio from the little I know. So the typhoons are to some extent "spent" when they reach Baguio?

I remember reading somewhere that some of the roads can be hazardous at times, and then are best avoided by drivers like myself who are more used to "simpler" driving environments.

• Like 1