Relocating To Baguio

losd
Posted
Posted

By the time a typhoon gets to Baguio in the mountains all you get are some strong wind gusts and heavy rains. Since there aren't many areas which are flat there are only a few areas that flood in Baguio.

This is also what I've heard from Filipinos who have resided both in Baguio and in the lowlands.  They've experienced typhoons in both places, so can make that comparison.

Now I don't know about the frequency of earthquakes in Baguio, but I am told that when an earthquake does occur, because of the altitude, it is inherently more dangerous.

But, if you like mountains, cool weather and good vegetables, Baguio is a clear choice.  People are great too...we found the hotel staff (cleaners included) to be immensely helpful and well spoken!

And, because there are a fair amount of Ilocanos in the mix, you will find that the people are industrious (I know I've heard that Igorots do not share that reputation, but I can't say I've come across that yet).

Now earthquakes are more worrying! I know they have had at least one very bad one in living memory. I didn't know earthquakes were more dangerous at altitude, but thinking about it from a layman's point of view I can see why they might be, a lot more potential energy up high perhaps, so possibly a lot of energy released when things underground become unstable? Anyway, worth bearing in mind.

I know little about the personality of the ethnic groups in the Philippines, but a good mix of industrious and more "carefree" folk (for want of better adjectives) can perhaps be a good thing, I have a suspicion that different personality types need each other more than they sometimes imagine, more work needed on my part there. But keeping to the point a little, I will read more on these too groups, thanks for posting.

• Like 1

losd
Posted
Posted

By the time a typhoon gets to Baguio in the mountains all you get are some strong wind gusts and heavy rains. Since there aren't many areas which are flat there are only a few areas that flood in Baguio.

This is also what I've heard from Filipinos who have resided both in Baguio and in the lowlands.  They've experienced typhoons in both places, so can make that comparison.

Now I don't know about the frequency of earthquakes in Baguio, but I am told that when an earthquake does occur, because of the altitude, it is inherently more dangerous.

But, if you like mountains, cool weather and good vegetables, Baguio is a clear choice.  People are great too...we found the hotel staff (cleaners included) to be immensely helpful and well spoken!

And, because there are a fair amount of Ilocanos in the mix, you will find that the people are industrious (I know I've heard that Igorots do not share that reputation, but I can't say I've come across that yet).

I didn't think that earthquakes would be more dangerous at altitude.  The opposite, is it better to be at the bottom of the mountain as the rocks fall on you or at the top?  Sgt. Keyes always said if the chute doesn't open wait ill you're just above the ground and jump.  It can then be returned for a new one, no questions asked.      

On the question of earthquakes at altitude I am now hopelessly befuddled, but they definitely sound a very bad idea on any level!

• Like 3

Lou49
Posted
Posted

I have done a few " long stays " in Baguio. You can try Trillionaire Holiday Suites . It is directly across from Microtel which is half a block from the the Victory Liner bus station where u will arrive. Cost was 17,000p per month including cable, internet, electric, water, etc. Safe and central. From there u can hire a taxi which is very cheap and u can cruise the city searching for something u might like better.

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

For 8 months of the year the weather in Baguio is awesome. The typical weather pattern is you wake up to bright clear sky. Over the course of the day clouds build up from evaporation of ocean water to the west. You might get a light shower or rain in the afternoon or early evening. Then the sky clears so you can see the stars. Very moderate climate with daytime temperatures in the 70's and  nighttime in the 50's to 60's.

The other 4 months during typhoon season you get rain almost every day and less sun. You can get very heavy rain from typhoons but you don't get the damaging winds. Last year we had 15 inches in 3 days. The all time record is 45 inches of rain in 24 hours.

Regarding earthquakes. The Philippines is part of the Pacific ring of fire where two major tectonic plates collide. That is why it has so many earthquakes and volcanos. Pallawan is the only part of the Philippines which does not have many earthquakes because it is on a different tectonic plate.

Since I moved to Baguio I have only felt one earthquake. A 4.2 centered 10km from Baguio. Shook things for a few seconds but no damage.

The Philippines has the most natural disasters of any place in the world.

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I didn't think that earthquakes would be more dangerous at altitude. The opposite, is it better to be at the bottom of the mountain as the rocks fall on you or at the top? Sgt. Keyes always said if the chute doesn't open wait till you're just above the ground and jump. It can then be returned for a new one, no questions asked. Good morning Gerald, As always, your logic is spot on! Since Mt Pinatubo's massive eruption (bigger than Mt St Helen) in 1991, that region of central Luzon should be quiet for the next 600 years or so. Additionally, I can't stand the heat and the tropical humidity anymore. During long term brownouts while residing in Manila, Cavite and Batangas, those damn mosquitoes are always a kill joy, while I'm sweating like a stuffed greasy pig. No power, no fan and no patience for me. I turn into a psycho with a full can of Bygone! Whereas in Baguio, cooler temps means a cooler disposition for me. If I need to hit the beach, San Fernando City facing South China Sea is about an hour plus drive down the mountain. Angeles City and Subic are also great choices to reside. Respectfully -- Jake

I know the top of the quote isn't Jake's but it will probably show as part of Jake's.

I think my comment had more to do with the terrain and how a lot of houses are not built on flat land.  Your logic certainly sounds right!

• Like 2

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)

For 8 months of the year the weather in Baguio is awesome. The typical weather pattern is you wake up to bright clear sky. Over the course of the day clouds build up from evaporation of ocean water to the west. You might get a light shower or rain in the afternoon or early evening. Then the sky clears so you can see the stars. Very moderate climate with daytime temperatures in the 70's and  nighttime in the 50's to 60's.

The other 4 months during typhoon season you get rain almost every day and less sun. You can get very heavy rain from typhoons but you don't get the damaging winds. Last year we had 15 inches in 3 days. The all time record is 45 inches of rain in 24 hours.

Regarding earthquakes. The Philippines is part of the Pacific ring of fire where two major tectonic plates collide. That is why it has so many earthquakes and volcanos. Pallawan is the only part of the Philippines which does not have many earthquakes because it is on a different tectonic plate.

Since I moved to Baguio I have only felt one earthquake. A 4.2 centered 10km from Baguio. Shook things for a few seconds but no damage.

The Philippines has the most natural disasters of any place in the world.

My first trip to baguio in 1990 was so impressive to me that we bought a small lot there...there and then!!

2 months later Baguio experienced a 7.7 earthquake which caused a lot of damage..(pics below)

we still have that little lot up there but I have noticed such a huge difference in regards population levels and air quality that I no longer think its any longer the place for me..

Anyone want to buy a lot in Baguio!!

quake200.jpgquake100.jpg

quake14.jpg

quake27.jpg

quake34.jpg

Edited by fred
  • Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Who said Baguio City doesn't flood?  Pics made in 2012.

20120815_helen_baguio-rtr.jpg

interphoto_1345007810.jpg

philippine-flood-afp-6701.jpg

Edited by Americano
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Who said Baguio City doesn't flood?  Pics made in 2012.

20120815_helen_baguio-rtr.jpg

interphoto_1345007810.jpg

I don't recall anyone saying it doesn't flood.  Just don't live in the valleys and other flood prone areas.  I think you can find similar pictures of Manila during that August 2012 time period.

We had 4-5 foot floods here in Olongapo last year.  I live less than a mile from the worst hit areas but we were unaffected as we live on the hill.

I was amazed that the following day you could hardly tell that it had flooded.  The Philippines floods all over.  Everyone should have one of these!  This was the day after the main flood day.  I think this area only had a foot or two.

post-1784-0-53856000-1406210960_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Yes we all know that it floods in Manila but this topic is about Baguio so I was just pointing out that it floods there too. According to the Mayor of Baguio their flooding is caused by excessive garbage blocking water drainage just like in Manila. Maybe someday the Philippines will learn about the proper way to dispose of garbage.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The Philippines floods all over.

Come on Guys, it even Floods in Dumaguete, this  is Perdices Street the main Street, the Shopping Hub and another, main Thoroughfare

given Water Finds it's own level, i wonder how much of the PI, is below sea level

post-2148-0-74895200-1406272775_thumb.jp  post-2148-0-81404600-1406272799_thumb.jp

Hmmmmmmmmmmm guess we are  all, in the same boat :unsure: so to Speak. :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3