Relocating To Baguio

Americano
Posted
Posted

Jack,

You just made a point that Dumaguete City is not a good place to live too. Any place that is under water when heavy rain comes is not a good place to live. Well, maybe it is if you don't mind wading through muddy and polluted water and you have a boat for transportation.

losd
Posted
Posted

I have done a few " long stays " in Baguio. You can try Trillionaire Holiday Suites . It is directly across from Microtel which is half a block from the the Victory Liner bus station where u will arrive. Cost was 17,000p per month including cable, internet, electric, water, etc. Safe and central. From there u can hire a taxi which is very cheap and u can cruise the city searching for something u might like better.

Thanks Lou, a good pointer, I will investigate, sincere thanks for posting!

losd
Posted
Posted

Jack,

You just made a point that Dumaguete City is not a good place to live too. Any place that is under water when heavy rain comes is not a good place to live. Well, maybe it is if you don't mind wading through muddy and polluted water and you have a boat for transportation.

For 8 months of the year the weather in Baguio is awesome. The typical weather pattern is you wake up to bright clear sky. Over the course of the day clouds build up from evaporation of ocean water to the west. You might get a light shower or rain in the afternoon or early evening. Then the sky clears so you can see the stars. Very moderate climate with daytime temperatures in the 70's and  nighttime in the 50's to 60's.

The other 4 months during typhoon season you get rain almost every day and less sun. You can get very heavy rain from typhoons but you don't get the damaging winds. Last year we had 15 inches in 3 days. The all time record is 45 inches of rain in 24 hours.

Regarding earthquakes. The Philippines is part of the Pacific ring of fire where two major tectonic plates collide. That is why it has so many earthquakes and volcanos. Pallawan is the only part of the Philippines which does not have many earthquakes because it is on a different tectonic plate.

Since I moved to Baguio I have only felt one earthquake. A 4.2 centered 10km from Baguio. Shook things for a few seconds but no damage.

The Philippines has the most natural disasters of any place in the world.

My first trip to baguio in 1990 was so impressive to me that we bought a small lot there...there and then!!

2 months later Baguio experienced a 7.7 earthquake which caused a lot of damage..(pics below)

we still have that little lot up there but I have noticed such a huge difference in regards population levels and air quality that I no longer think its any longer the place for me..

Anyone want to buy a lot in Baguio!!

Who said Baguio City doesn't flood?  Pics made in 2012.

Who said Baguio City doesn't flood?  Pics made in 2012.

I don't recall anyone saying it doesn't flood.  Just don't live in the valleys and other flood prone areas.  I think you can find similar pictures of Manila during that August 2012 time period.

We had 4-5 foot floods here in Olongapo last year.  I live less than a mile from the worst hit areas but we were unaffected as we live on the hill.

I was amazed that the following day you could hardly tell that it had flooded.  The Philippines floods all over.  Everyone should have one of these!  This was the day after the main flood day.  I think this area only had a foot or two.

A lot concerning earthquakes and (mainly) flooding. I had seen the pictures of Baguio after the earthquake before, the damage looks terrible. I know the Philippines is a hot spot for natural disasters (who on the planet could not know this after last year of course). I am guessing that although Baguio can flood in some areas, being very high, there must also be areas that are very unlikely to flood? As for whether earthquakes are more dangerous up there than in the lowlands, I read the posts regarding this, but I don't have the knowledge to add anything, only a fervent layman's desire that i am never caught up in one at any altitude. But thank you to everyone who is taking the time to talk and post about Baguio, its all useful and interesting. Its good to find a place so lively :)

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
there must also be areas that are very unlikely to flood?

I'm in Baguio now and my bro-in-law's house is on a steep hill (almost at the top) surrounded by pine trees, so it is unlikely to flood or have a landslide.  The floods are going to happen in the valleys and stream / river areas.

He has been building a 3 story 6 unit building next door and I am in one of the finished units.  He went out of his way and spent more to try to make this place survive the next earthquake.  It has deep pilings down to the bedrock and quality concrete materials, so hopefully it would do well.

We have not had rain yet.  It was a nice drive up and this morning is nice.  I have a view of the mountains, valleys and pine trees from where I am sitting on the 3rd floor.

• Like 5

losd
Posted
Posted

there must also be areas that are very unlikely to flood?

I'm in Baguio now and my bro-in-law's house is on a steep hill (almost at the top) surrounded by pine trees, so it is unlikely to flood or have a landslide.  The floods are going to happen in the valleys and stream / river areas.

He has been building a 3 story 6 unit building next door and I am in one of the finished units.  He went out of his way and spent more to try to make this place survive the next earthquake.  It has deep pilings down to the bedrock and quality concrete materials, so hopefully it would do well.

We have not had rain yet.  It was a nice drive up and this morning is nice.  I have a view of the mountains, valleys and pine trees from where I am sitting on the 3rd floor.

It sounds lovely indeed, and secure enough for even the least intrepid traveller (such as myself possibly). Do you have a picture or two of the place/views etc. Sounds like you are having a good time there, but if you get a chance would love to see :)

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Abby and I both noticed that the Baguio downtown traffic seems to worse every time we visit.  We were there at Xmas and of course we expected it to be bad.  It seemed worse this trip.  It seems like the jeep smoke is worse too.  Supposedly they used to have strict no smoke belching rules but this time it seemed like there were a lot.

The new TPLEX will add traffic to Baguio so it would appear that it is going to get worse.  We both said that Baguio would not be on our list of places to live anymore because of the traffic.  SM also was jam packed and we had to wait to get in to parking lot, where parking is now p35.  We will just enjoy being visitors!

I didn't take any pictures this trip but here are some from previous trips.

View from back of relatives house

post-1784-0-21187100-1407069884_thumb.jp

View of Cathdral from SM, I think

post-1784-0-63937000-1407070055_thumb.jp

Session road, I think

post-1784-0-69748000-1407070199_thumb.jp

Wet market

post-1784-0-89581700-1407070286_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-92482200-1407070451_thumb.jp

View out the front of SM towards the taxi loading area

post-1784-0-08047900-1407070602_thumb.jp

Favorite resto!

post-1784-0-83050500-1407070694_thumb.jp

Cathedral

post-1784-0-87528500-1407070773_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-19860800-1407070861_thumb.jp

Camp John Hay

post-1784-0-33446500-1407070964_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-65649200-1407071054_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-03700600-1407071136_thumb.jp

Session road (I think) from upstairs at Chow King

post-1784-0-96780700-1407071237_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-90343500-1407071312_thumb.jp

Burnham Park.  We didn't go in the park this recent trip but they have been doing a lot of work on it to make it nicer.

post-1784-0-66010800-1407071446_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-02702400-1407071567_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-99315900-1407071656_thumb.jp

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The last 2 years a  great deal of work has been done to improve Burnham Park and the Botanical Garden. The work on those is almost complete.

Work has now started on major improvements to Mines View Park.

The traffic may be getting worse but Baguio is still small enough and walkable so you can walk. I do that often just for exercise. Besides, even with the traffic it is so much better than the larger cities. I rarely have a taxi ride that costs more than 80 pesos.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The last 2 years a  great deal of work has been done to improve Burnham Park and the Botanical Garden. The work on those is almost complete.

The traffic may be getting worse but Baguio is still small enough and walkable so you can walk. I do that often just for exercise. Besides, even with the traffic it is so much better than the larger cities. I rarely have a taxi ride that costs more than 80 pesos.

Earthdome, I still owe you a beer one of these trips.  I knew we were not going to have time this trip due to family plans.

Yes, that is the way to get around downtown.  My problem is that when we visit, I am the taxi for everyone!  I had 13 passengers (inc. several kids) in the Avanza a few times.  I don't really like to do that but I drive extra carefully when I do.  It won't be so bad next trip because bro in law bought a car while we were there.  He got a good deal from his tenant (who is moving to Davao) on a 2007 Hyundai Accent diesel.  Good shape, runs strong and great fuel economy, for only 250k.  However, he also said that he won't use it to go downtown.  They usually take the jeepney to town and then taxi back.

Most of the time we drive on the outskirts to miss most traffic.  We drive on the road that goes past John Hay and that is a very pleasant drive that I enjoy.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Earthdome, I still owe you a beer one of these trips.  I knew we were not going to have time this trip due to family plans.

Yes, that is the way to get around downtown.  My problem is that when we visit, I am the taxi for everyone!  I had 13 passengers (inc. several kids) in the Avanza a few times.  I don't really like to do that but I drive extra carefully when I do.  It won't be so bad next trip because bro in law bought a car while we were there.  He got a good deal from his tenant (who is moving to Davao) on a 2007 Hyundai Accent diesel.  Good shape, runs strong and great fuel economy, for only 250k.  However, he also said that he won't use it to go downtown.  They usually take the jeepney to town and then taxi back.

Most of the time we drive on the outskirts to miss most traffic.  We drive on the road that goes past John Hay and that is a very pleasant drive that I enjoy.

I do a similar thing. I will walk or take a jeepney to get downtown. Then take a taxi back if we have packages or are far away from the return jeepney stand.

I had considered purchasing an SUV. But that was mostly for traveling outside of Baguio, like going down the mountain to the beach.

Now that we have plans to return to the US for an extended time leaving sometime in the next 4-6 months it isn't worth buying a car.

• Like 2