Mestiza, Tisay Or Chinay?

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)
I am a bit confused about the title - chimay is a slang word for maid (at least among the Tagalogs).  Chinay might be the appropriate term for a Filipina of mixed Chinese ancestry, but even that I can't be certain of.  All I know is that Chinese-Filipinos have come to be called Chinoys.

I just copied and pasted from someone else's post and I think that may have been a typo. Thanks for the correction. Is it possible to edit the Chimay part to read Chinay? I can't find where.

Edited by El Negrito

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Online interaction is easily deceiving and can't substitute actual physical interaction (body language). I would go with what you are attracted to first.  Then do some "sampling" and determine if the hearts match the wrappings.  No need to rush, too many good ones out there to just jump on the first "positive" result.

I keep hearing things like this more and more. Valuable info here. Thanks!

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I saw that post too - I should have mentioned it sooner.  But then I also saw another post where that was supposed to be the name of a girl?

In any case, in Manila, chimay is a derogatory term for maid.  I think the correct term used to be "katulong", meaning helper.  It has since been enhanced to "kasambahay", meaning someone who lives under the same roof.

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have always heard the term "Chinoy" used for the chinese-filipinos here.

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)

I saw that post too - I should have mentioned it sooner.  But then I also saw another post where that was supposed to be the name of a girl?

In any case, in Manila, chimay is a derogatory term for maid.  I think the correct term used to be "katulong", meaning helper.  It has since been enhanced to "kasambahay", meaning someone who lives under the same roof.

Ah. In Mexico the slightly derogatory term would be chacha, not totally derogatory. Not sure of a respectful term, I'll try to remember. Thanks for the language lesson. :thumbsup:

And thanks to whoever fixed the title!  :icon_GreatJobKao:

Edited by El Negrito

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I have always heard the term "Chinoy" used for the chinese-filipinos here.

And that would be the newer term for Chinese-Filipinos.  Before the 90's, they were called "Intsik", pronounced as "Inchik".

• Like 2

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
And that would be the newer term for Chinese-Filipinos.  Before the 90's, they were called "Intsik", pronounced as "Inchik".

Sort of reminds me of a bad term in English used to refer to Chinese.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sort of reminds me of a bad term in English used to refer to Chinese.

Exactly. It's a racist and or unkind term.

Filipinos are not nearly as racist as some other Asian or Western countries. Filipinos are very aware of class, socal standing family clan and religious affiliation. Chinese Filipino's make up about 10% of the population and are generally sucsesful. Because of this and that they are sligtly different Most Filipinos resent them. There is more subtle stuff going on as well.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

As with others here that have married a Pinay, will tell you,  You have to see and be a part of their Culture to get the Full picture. 

Many cultural differences are apparent from island to island but reading about them and taking advice will not yield,what any of us

were looking for. meeting her on her own Territory, will bear the fruit ( One way or the other)

" You can take the lady out of CEBU or MINDANAO, but you just can't take the places out of the lady"

Put them on a Different Island and further Problems will arise.

JP :tiphat:

Words of wisdom abound here.  I believe for a more reasonable and mature man, one must look at the whole forest

and not at that single bush.....he, he.  Perhaps when all of us were young stallions, only the physical attributes are

what matters the most. 

Now that we are ready to settle down (again), the selection process becomes more serious.  I think external beauty

becomes less and less important, no matter what her blood line might be.  I mean, does she possess a heart to take

care of you in your senior years?  

Beautiful high maintenance ladies tend to be distracted by all the stares and temptations coming from younger studs.

Just my opinion -- Jake 

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Now that we are ready to settle down (again), the selection process becomes more serious.  I think external beauty becomes less and less important, no matter what her blood line might be.

Exactly so are there some areas where or types of Pinay that possess less desirable qualities to beware of?