Recommended Places To Stay For Young Guy?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Thanks for clarifying. 

Apartment prices I'm seeing online are quite expensive. Not what I'd expect to pay in SE Asia for an apartment.

Those apartments listed on the internet have inflated rents and are trying to appeal to foreigners who don't know what the local market prices are.

You find the best deals from walking a neighborhood and talking to people. Stop by a building that looks like someplace you may want to live and ask the security guard if there are any units available.

• Like 3

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

So what would be a reasonable price for a studio apartment in Manla or Cebu?

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

I live in Mactan Island close to Cebu, I've got a 2 bedroom house in a gated community, my rent is 8000pesos a month, water 300, PLDT internet 1400pesos, power around 700-800 pesos. I never would have found this with out being here and a filipina to help me. You can spend whatever some one here can get off you, I know it doesn't help you and you want to know the prices but really is best to get here, rent a cheaper hotel and have a good look around, everyone here knows someone with a place to rent, just ask and look.

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I live in Mactan Island close to Cebu, I've got a 2 bedroom house in a gated community, my rent is 8000pesos a month, water 300, PLDT internet 1400pesos, power around 700-800 pesos. I never would have found this with out being here and a filipina to help me. You can spend whatever some one here can get off you, I know it doesn't help you and you want to know the prices but really is best to get here, rent a cheaper hotel and have a good look around, everyone here knows someone with a place to rent, just ask and look.

That is the best advice that you can hope to get. 

• Like 2

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

Yeah I plan to come and visit first and check things out but it's good to know some rough figures too.

There must be a "fair price" (or a range of prices) for a studio apartment in a safe and central location in Manila / Cebu with all mod cons?

Wait. What?
Posted
Posted

Yeah I plan to come and visit first and check things out but it's good to know some rough figures too.

There must be a "fair price" (or a range of prices) for a studio apartment in a safe and central location in Manila / Cebu with all mod cons?

Are you familiar with this website? I've heard it's somewhat accurate. Hope it helps.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Philippines&city=Cebu

• Like 1

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

Yeah I've looked at it thanks.

I compared Bangkok to Manila and Cebu but the numbers it has for BKK are all wrong so hard to know if the figures for Phils are accurate,

• 1 month later...
akcebu
Posted
Posted

When I was in Makati, I lived in a studio unit around 30 sqm and the condominium was right across Greenbelt 3, I just had to cross the street to get there. I paid around $600 for rent plus another 50$ for utilities, I didn't have wifi but I bought a prepaid SIM card with LTE signal in Makati area fluctuating from 20mbs - 40mbs on a good day and less than 5 Mbps on a bad day

In Cebu, we rented a 3 bedroom house in the uptown area for around 400$, and paid around the same for utilities, although Internet is abysmally slower.

Having lived in both cities, I would prefer Cebu because everything is just 15 minutes away - if there's no traffic jam due to heavy rains! and there's the city and island vibe so I can escape to the mountains or the beach in less than 4 hours and be back with the tall buildings again

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It sounds more like you might prefer living in a hotel!

My first month in Cebu, I am staying in the Fely Ann residences at the Express Inn in Cebu (not to be confused with their other hotel in Mactan).   Don't let the term "residence" fool you - it's their long term stay part of the hotel.  It's nothing special but the basic rooms are available for P12,000 or P15,000 and the deluxe rooms are p18,000 a month.   

popeye72 
Posted
Posted (edited)

It sounds more like you might prefer living in a hotel!

My first month in Cebu, I am staying in the Fely Ann residences at the Express Inn in Cebu (not to be confused with their other hotel in Mactan). Don't let the term "residence" fool you - it's their long term stay part of the hotel. It's nothing special but the basic rooms are available for P12,000 or P15,000 and the deluxe rooms are p18,000 a month.

How did you book. I was looking online and it is advertised for more.

Edit. I found it. It seems more expensive through booking or other third parties.

This is good to know.

I'll be arriving in cebu in November and have a place booked for my first week but was hoping to find something more suitable for a 3 month stay. If all else fails this may be a good option.

Edited by topcat72m