Recommended Places To Stay For Young Guy?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It sounds more like you might prefer living in a hotel!

My first month in Cebu, I am staying in the Fely Ann residences at the Express Inn in Cebu (not to be confused with their other hotel in Mactan). Don't let the term "residence" fool you - it's their long term stay part of the hotel. It's nothing special but the basic rooms are available for P12,000 or P15,000 and the deluxe rooms are p18,000 a month.

How did you book. I was looking online and it is advertised for more.

Edit. I found it. It seems more expensive through booking or other third parties.

This is good to know.

I'll be arriving in cebu in November and have a place booked for my first week but was hoping to find something more suitable for a 3 month stay. If all else fails this may be a good option.

I'm debating on just staying there until I am done with Cebu myself.  An apartment may be more private but I only want a place to sleep - the rest of the time I intend to be out and about as much as possible!

• Like 2

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

It sounds more like you might prefer living in a hotel!

My first month in Cebu, I am staying in the Fely Ann residences at the Express Inn in Cebu (not to be confused with their other hotel in Mactan). Don't let the term "residence" fool you - it's their long term stay part of the hotel. It's nothing special but the basic rooms are available for P12,000 or P15,000 and the deluxe rooms are p18,000 a month.

How did you book. I was looking online and it is advertised for more.

Edit. I found it. It seems more expensive through booking or other third parties.

This is good to know.

I'll be arriving in cebu in November and have a place booked for my first week but was hoping to find something more suitable for a 3 month stay. If all else fails this may be a good option.

I'm debating on just staying there until I am done with Cebu myself.  An apartment may be more private but I only want a place to sleep - the rest of the time I intend to be out and about as much as possible!

I like the freedom I think I'd find better in an apartment. Also a little extra space. But I like to know my options. I also intend to be out as much as possible. I just think 3 months is a long time in a hotel. I think the walls would begin to close in.

• Like 2

BritishPinay
Posted
Posted

The thing with short term rent (3 months) is it's difficult to get a good deal, since brokers tend to not entertain your enquiry and normally landlords prefer long-term tenants. 

A couple of friends of mine have properties they are renting out. One is a furnished studio condo unit in Mactan. The other is a house share arrangement in Talamban. It's a 4-bedroom house with a small garden and garage and the deal is all inclusive (fully furnished, no contract, P14,000/month inclusive of electricity, gas, water, laundry, cleaning, internet). 

If you're interested I can put you i touch with 'em. 
  • Like 3

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

If you're interested I can put you i touch with 'em.

I have a few options at the moment but I appreciate the offer. Thanks.

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted

The problem I have with condos and apartments here is the loud and rude neighbors! They dont care what time it is they will talk and laugh loudly, let their kids scream and play in the hallways starting very in the morning. Slamming doors all hours of the day is also a problem. In western countries parents would shush their kids but not here. I have a Filipina neighbor and she has an Aussie bf which I assume he is back in Oz because I only see her coming and going. These are one bdrms and now she has two lady relatives and two toddlers living there and its like a nursery now. When you pick a place here, you must have a long check list or you will regret it after you sign that year contract!!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
The problem I have with condos and apartments here is the loud and rude neighbors! They dont care what time it is they will talk and laugh loudly, let their kids scream and play in the hallways starting very in the morning.

:hystery:  Unless you live so far out in the province that you can not see your neighbor,  you will get that everywhere. Its just one of those things we have to except or you will go insane. We have been visiting for 15 years before we moved so I was a little prepared, but when we moved here in Dec. 2012 our neighbor was playing "Gangum style" over and over and over. Absolutly nothing we could do about it...kind of got to like the song :cheersty:

russellmania
Posted
Posted

The problem I have with condos and apartments here is the loud and rude neighbors! They dont care what time it is they will talk and laugh loudly, let their kids scream and play in the hallways starting very in the morning.

:hystery:  Unless you live so far out in the province that you can not see your neighbor,  you will get that everywhere. Its just one of those things we have to except or you will go insane. We have been visiting for 15 years before we moved so I was a little prepared, but when we moved here in Dec. 2012 our neighbor was playing "Gangum style" over and over and over. Absolutly nothing we could do about it...kind of got to like the song :cheersty:

In the Province you will have another list of problems. With roosters crowing and dogs barking everywhere. Neighbors burning trash and what if a hospital emergency arises? It takes a long time to get to a hospital INSIDE the city limits let alone in the province. Also your crooked neighbors would know if your place is empty and they love to climb through windows! Deal with it or not, its up to the individual.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
I like the freedom I think I'd find better in an apartment. Also a little extra space. But I like to know my options. I also intend to be out as much as possible. I just think 3 months is a long time in a hotel. I think the walls would begin to close in.

Maybe not, many of the studio apts are about the same size of a hotel room (20-25sqm); some even smaller (15-18sqm).

Check out this site too: http://www.ayosdito.ph/li?fs=1&ca=10_s&th=1&q=&cg=2020&w=110&prv=0&st=u&mre=24&ros=&roe=&ss=&se=&frn=

Take note that some places listed as a 1BR are actually studios. And some will separate the sleeping area with a curtain or some type of a partition. I asked an agent on my last visit about that; after the perplexed look only a Pinay can make I literally seen the light bulb flash on and the answer I got was: "One bed in a room is 1 bed room". Not worth it to try and argue with Pinay "logic".

Next month when I arrive I plan to stay in a hotel for a week or so and then look around on my own; no more advance booking for a multi-month stay. I had good luck on my first visits with Strawberry Residences (want to find cheaper this time), but struck out on my last visit where I stayed at Tancor3.

Online Tancor3 looks nice, new with large studios / 2BR's and with many amenities. The reality was quite different such as: Old torn up furniture; paper thin uncomfortable mattresses; old and beaten up cooking and eating utensils (the forks and spoons were about a hair thicker then a piece of alu-foil); extra charges (500p per month for a microwave, 200p weekly for washing the bedding; hidden surcharge for electric that I think went right into the office staff's pocket; extra 20p del charge for bottled water on top of the base price for the water); pool and lounge area only open limited times (closed at lunch, closed at 7pm, closed on any holidays); poor water pressure; constant battle with sugar ant infestation; often a long wait for a taxi (the building is fairly far off the main street, Cabahug Ave, and although it was behind Crossroads Plaza you could not access it; had to drive around to get to it; in addition some drivers informed me they didn't like going there because a 5-10p kickback was expected by the guards); an intercom in the room that only received calls (to call down to the guard to get a taxi or to call the office you had use one in the hallway); and the sauna smelled like an old unwashed sweat sock left locked up in a gym locker for about a month.

But by far the worse was that it contained an English school wherein on the lower floors the students were boarded (mostly young Korean and Japanese). The building has an atrium that runs the full length and all the way up to the 5th floor (where I was at) and as a result it was extremely noisy. Meals were served to the students and you can only imagine the noise caused by metal chop sticks and spoons banging against metal trays, evenings filled with competing music (if that's what you want to call K-Pop) blaring at full volume, doors slamming at all hours and the never ending stink of rotten cabbage. The Wi-Fi sucked in general, but naturally during meal times and in the evening it was practically non-existent as their server / router could not handle the traffic.

At 35K per month (plus an outrageously high electric bill - p4,200 and p5,500 respectively for the 2 months I was there) I certainly expected more. Hence, lesson learned: look at places to stay in person (especially if planning a longer stay) and ask a lot of questions.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

I was looking at strawberry residences as a fall back in case I didn't find anything better / cheaper.

I was looking at the site you linked to and rent.ph also.

I like the apartments in Ramos tower. I will look at them when I get there. I have a couple more picked out all under p20k pm. But it may be difficult getting a 3 month letting. We will see.

I appreciate your interest. Thanks. I wouldn't mind strawberry residences but like you I'd like better and cheaper.

deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wasnt this posted elsewhere :p ... anyhow in case you missed. 

Eastwood City in Quezon City should get you a pretty nice place in one of the older condos, Lafayette or Orchard for around $400-500 per month on 6 month contracts ($ up front), although short term (week or so)  fully furnished rentals you can expect that to double.

It'd definitely tick all boxes and will be cheaper than anything similar in Makati (although within a 15 min cab ride). Supermarkets / bars / malls / restaurants etc are all within the "mini city" and you can hitch a jeep to Cubao which will get you a train or bus pretty much anywhere in the country. 

Only had a real brownout once within the past 4 years with Typhoon Glenda, zero flooding and as its a call center hub the electric and internet is highly prioritized and most buildings have generators. All the major malls / nightlife areas are within a $4 taxi ride.

Laundry, water delivery, cleaners etc .. are all available. 

There are some "bargains" to be had around Ortigas and Makati for around $300 in older buildings but seriously an extra $100 on your budget is night and day with regards to comfort and safety and some will not include maintenance fees, so make sure any prices you get are all inclusive and factor in $100 p/m for Aircon on lower floored buildings around the metro - on higher floors you can get away without it at night which is a big saving. 

Regarding wifi, you are better off with a Smart USB LTE stick around manila IMHO, it'll set you back around a $1.25 per day and is pretty reliable around the metro even when it drops to 3g speeds sometimes. 

Also bear in mind that you will only pick up something reasonable with cash or postdated checks, I managed to pick up a place in Makati for 13K excluding electric / water / internet on rolling contract with only a month deposit when I first landed but that was really the exception and while location was great, safe  and high floor the building was Manky and in the redlight area of burgos and only 29 sqm ! - Until we had a checkbook it was the only option. 

I've heard about "The Fort" on another forum and it was actually NOT recommended as although it was a nice area people said it was too far away from everything and apparently no one knew where it was (as in the locals) or were willing to travel there.

Complete bull, its easy to get a jeep to and from most places and I've never met a taxi that didnt know how to get there, its HUGE as pretty much as accessible as it gets, although not on the direct route to megamall, you can get a direct jeep to Guadeloupe MRT station. 

Always try to deal directly with the owner rather than an agent - likewise booking hotels is always cheaper in my experience over the phone than online. 

Edited by deevey