Recommended Places To Stay For Young Guy?

RBM
Posted
Posted

I like the freedom I think I'd find better in an apartment. Also a little extra space. But I like to know my options. I also intend to be out as much as possible. I just think 3 months is a long time in a hotel. I think the walls would begin to close in.

Maybe not, many of the studio apts are about the same size of a hotel room (20-25sqm); some even smaller (15-18sqm).

Check out this site too: http://www.ayosdito.ph/li?fs=1&ca=10_s&th=1&q=&cg=2020&w=110&prv=0&st=u&mre=24&ros=&roe=&ss=&se=&frn=

Take note that some places listed as a 1BR are actually studios. And some will separate the sleeping area with a curtain or some type of a partition. I asked an agent on my last visit about that; after the perplexed look only a Pinay can make I literally seen the light bulb flash on and the answer I got was: "One bed in a room is 1 bed room". Not worth it to try and argue with Pinay "logic".

Next month when I arrive I plan to stay in a hotel for a week or so and then look around on my own; no more advance booking for a multi-month stay. I had good luck on my first visits with Strawberry Residences (want to find cheaper this time), but struck out on my last visit where I stayed at Tancor3.

Online Tancor3 looks nice, new with large studios / 2BR's and with many amenities. The reality was quite different such as: Old torn up furniture; paper thin uncomfortable mattresses; old and beaten up cooking and eating utensils (the forks and spoons were about a hair thicker then a piece of alu-foil); extra charges (500p per month for a microwave, 200p weekly for washing the bedding; hidden surcharge for electric that I think went right into the office staff's pocket; extra 20p del charge for bottled water on top of the base price for the water); pool and lounge area only open limited times (closed at lunch, closed at 7pm, closed on any holidays); poor water pressure; constant battle with sugar ant infestation; often a long wait for a taxi (the building is fairly far off the main street, Cabahug Ave, and although it was behind Crossroads Plaza you could not access it; had to drive around to get to it; in addition some drivers informed me they didn't like going there because a 5-10p kickback was expected by the guards); an intercom in the room that only received calls (to call down to the guard to get a taxi or to call the office you had use one in the hallway); and the sauna smelled like an old unwashed sweat sock left locked up in a gym locker for about a month.

But by far the worse was that it contained an English school wherein on the lower floors the students were boarded (mostly young Korean and Japanese). The building has an atrium that runs the full length and all the way up to the 5th floor (where I was at) and as a result it was extremely noisy. Meals were served to the students and you can only imagine the noise caused by metal chop sticks and spoons banging against metal trays, evenings filled with competing music (if that's what you want to call K-Pop) blaring at full volume, doors slamming at all hours and the never ending stink of rotten cabbage. The Wi-Fi sucked in general, but naturally during meal times and in the evening it was practically non-existent as their server / router could not handle the traffic.

At 35K per month (plus an outrageously high electric bill - p4,200 and p5,500 respectively for the 2 months I was there) I certainly expected more. Hence, lesson learned: look at places to stay in person (especially if planning a longer stay) and ask a lot of questions.

I had a friend whom stayed there and exactly the same experience.

Perhaps I could suggest less time on line and boots on the ground. Walking up V Rama one time I went one street to the West, asked a couple of sari sari stores about apartments to rent and was astonished. Behind some rather inane high fences were dozens, and I mean dozens of small cheaper apartments for rent. One could walk past for months never knowing they were there.

I lived 3 years at Woodcrest, suggest you pop in and check the notice board. Ignore the fact they want large rents and a twelve month contract. Just speak to the owner face to face and often the rent drops considerably plus if your able to offer full payment up front a 3 month term is often possible.

Good luck in Cebu but this City is nor every one including me.

• Like 1

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

I lived 3 years at Woodcrest, suggest you pop in and check the notice board. Ignore the fact they want large rents and a twelve month contract. Just speak to the owner face to face and often the rent drops considerably plus if your able to offer full payment up front a 3 month term is often possible.

I was looking online at Woodcrest. They seem reasonable rate's there. I was told however they're a bit far outside the city.

I will definitely have a look at them. I was also looking at some in Ramos Tower for rent. Tho seems like a good location and a new building.

RBM
Posted
Posted

I was looking online at Woodcrest. They seem reasonable rate's there. I was told however they're a bit far outside the city.

I will definitely have a loo

k at them. I was also looking at some in Ramos Tower for rent. Tho seems like a good location and a new building.

As said less time on line more time boots on the ground.

It takes 15 minutes to walk from Woodcrest to the city. Faster than a car or jeep.

Do you have to live in Cebu?

I left due to the filth, pollution squalor traffic and air quality. Now loving life in a far smaller city with none of the former. Suggest stay in a hotel for a bit, or better try some smaller cities unless Cebu is a must for you. There are of course pluses how ever one must weigh up both sides for himself.

Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1