Filipinas From Outside The Philippines

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

What made me think of this topic is a girl my dad keeps talking about who lives where he lives in Panama. He keeps saying I would love her. (Frankly I keep telling him "not right now dad") Anyway today he sends a picture of her and I would swear she is Filipina (I will ask him to confirm later).

What do you guys think of meeting Filipinas already living in other countries. Would it make a difference if they were first generation or had been there a while? I would guess in the US, Canada, UK ect you would struggle with them being westernized. Do you think that applies to other countries such as central or south america or similar places? Maybe other places in southeast Asia?

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I would guess in the US, Canada, UK ect you would struggle with them being westernized.

It would also depend on their background, and how old they were when they left the Philippines.  My wife was nearly 23 when she immigrated to Canada, and she says the only thing that changed was that she had to learn how to cook and clean because there were no maids around.  Oh, and there's the matter of taking the local transit.

Now, when we visit the Philippines, although she appreciates the convenience of having maids, she does not think we will need them when we retire there.  We can pretty much handle the chores ourselves.

Since she was more westernized than most Filipinos to begin with, the move to the west did not make much of a difference. 

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Sorry, but I am being cynical today.

You mean, instead of going to al the hassle of finding your own Filipina bride and importing her, you would prefer to let someone else do the work and just help yourself once she has arrived, got citizenship and got bored?

• Like 4

palu
Posted
Posted

Just talking about Filipinas in the US, I would never go near one myself. I know of only 2 that I would not label a classic bitch and this is out of about 15 I know. This might just be my sampling, but good enough for me to know neither would I want one living in the US nor would I EVER bring another one in. I feel if you take a filipina out of the Philippines you really ruin what you liked about filipinas.

• Like 4

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Sorry, but I am being cynical today.

You mean, instead of going to al the hassle of finding your own Filipina bride and importing her, you would prefer to let someone else do the work and just help yourself once she has arrived, got citizenship and got bored?

I would prefer the work and knowing you are getting a good Filipina. I just wonder if the values carry over once they immigrate or go second or third generation.

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
I know of only 2 that I would not label a classic bitch and this is out of about 15 I know.

Oddly enough this has been my experience too. I worked with a lot in the hospital and only one was really not a witch.

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

No different to meeting any other person really ... 

I knew Filipinos here in AU before I ever went there for a vacation and found my mahal, both immigrants and first generation Aussie. They're still people, still have good points, bad points, hang ups ... one could say they are almost human!

My take on human's no matter where you're from it's your upbringing, experiences, education, attitude, luck/misfortune along the way the make you what you are!

If the person in particular we are talking about is female and I am in a relationship with them I found it doesn't matter where they live or nationality as more likely than not that are from another planet. I cannot for the sake of me understand them. No offence to the aliens, I mean ladies on this forum.

Hang on, maybe it's me that is from a different planet :)

Paul, I really believe it boils down to what you are saying here. People are people and the idea behind categorizing "filipinas" into positive or negative segments is just a bit narrow for me to see them-or anyone. If we hone in on women from the Philippines,  just like any other group of people, we run the risk of over analyzing and generalizing. 

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

What made me think of this topic is a girl my dad keeps talking about who lives where he lives in Panama. He keeps saying I would love her. (Frankly I keep telling him "not right now dad") Anyway today he sends a picture of her and I would swear she is Filipina (I will ask him to confirm later).

What do you guys think of meeting Filipinas already living in other countries. Would it make a difference if they were first generation or had been there a while? I would guess in the US, Canada, UK ect you would struggle with them being westernized. Do you think that applies to other countries such as central or south america or similar places? Maybe other places in southeast Asia?

Hey Big EL,

I was hoping that our newest member Miss Marjorie (British Pinay) would chime in but I'm going to risk it anyway.  I just hope that

I don't embarrass her in any way.  She obviously has a BS degree from England, most probably has a British accent and perhaps

also, a British stiff upper lip  -- like she takes no chit from nobody, including me......he, he 

post-686-0-01106600-1408304903.jpg http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/19857-robin-williams-dead-age-63/page-2#entry126868

Like I said before, I prefer any woman who is more affirmative in a relationship -- willing to speak her mind.  In my opinion, the

typical Pinay in her home country is somewhat shy, timid and sometimes immature for a serious relationship.  Westernized

Filipinas is more my speed -- they would keep me guessing whether I'm coming or going to my doghouse.....he, he.

Good boy ako -- Jake

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 3