Filipinas From Outside The Philippines

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Just talking about Filipinas in the US, I would never go near one myself. I know of only 2 that I would not label a classic bitch and this is out of about 15 I know. This might just be my sampling, but good enough for me to know neither would I want one living in the US nor would I EVER bring another one in. I feel if you take a filipina out of the Philippines you really ruin what you liked about filipinas.

Palu, you seem to be very specific in the number of Filipinas you have encountered (or in your words-"sampled"-like they are a buffet instead of people). You must keep very accurate records or are just making a point. Specifically 2 out of 17??. I've been to many cultural get-togethers here in KC and have encountered nothing but warm friendly men and women there when my wife and I attended-but that's my own experience I guess.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

we run the risk of over analyzing and generalizing

Hey Steve,

Triple LIKE sir!  We can very easily sit here like armchair generals and admirals at the Pentagon while trying to

manage a war through a large video screen.  I am a Filipino but that does not necessarily mean I know a lot of

chit about the Philippines.  I'm learning from you guys too.

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Sir Jake...It's just, well...let's just flip what Palu said around and state that a Filipina had sampled 17 foreigners and found only 2 to be of acceptable behavior. (I know, he's giving his opinion-I should respect that openness, I know). To me, I'm just a typical American guy, but have met some of the most wonderful Filipinos both here and in the Philippines-so some things strike a nerve with me and sorry for that. There's so many cookie cutter comments out there about this viewpoint and I'm-just-not gonna roll with it. I'm here on this site because it's a wealth of info regarding raw reality and truth from experienced smart Expats. I intend to help defend that dignity they so richly deserve.

Hey Steve,

See.....you're not in Kansas anymore.  You expanded your thoughts and your common courtesy outside the box and I like that.

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 3

palu
Posted
Posted

As I said several times, I am only talking about the filipinas in the US that I have known. If have had different experiences that's great Steve. I stick to my opinion on the ones I have met here.

• Like 2

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)
Sir Jake...It's just, well...let's just flip what Palu said around and state that a Filipina had sampled 17 foreigners and found only 2 to be of acceptable behavior. (I know, he's giving his opinion-I should respect that openness, I know). To me, I'm just a typical American guy, but have met some of the most wonderful Filipinos both here and in the Philippines-so some things strike a nerve with me and sorry for that.

As I said several times, I am only talking about the filipinas in the US that I have known. If have had different experiences that's great Steve. I stick to my opinion on the ones I have met here.

Well I can sort of see both sides. I don't think you have to apologize for defending people, both a noble and honorable thing to do, but I also don't think that Palu's were meant in a malicious way, they were simply his observations. I have had similar observations. Unfortunately I had similar experiences but most Filipinas I met were in the Michigan area where most women seem to have an attitude.

You asked what if Filipinas generalized about foreigners but they in fact do. From the many comments on these forums and elsewhere they all seem to think we are rich. Is that true? Not really but that is their opinion based on their observations and it is not out of any malicious intention they say this.

I think you both make good points and of course my point in asking these questions is to have a general idea and always keeping in mind that each person will be different and may not fit that not everyone will fit that general idea.

Thanks for the observations and insights gentlemen!  :thumbsup:

Edited by El Negrito
  • Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
I understand that it helps other would-be-expats to adjust their expectations, instead of viewing the Philippines through rose-coloured glasses, but I often find myself wanting to chime in and say that what's true for some is not true for all.

Well said MB!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I may respectfully agree to disagree on this one particular topic with most here :no: , but with such a wide range of topics here, I know we have lots of common ground in such a wide range of other topics and look forward to supporting those that I disagreed with here on this issue :cheersty: . All the best to you, gentlemen.

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)

I may respectfully agree to disagree on this one particular topic with most here :no: , but with such a wide range of topics here, I know we have lots of common ground in such a wide range of other topics and look forward to supporting those that I disagreed with here on this issue :cheersty: . All the best to you, gentlemen.

Personally I know I don't disagree with you. I experienced something different but your experience is very valuable to me and why I asked this question. I knew there had to be more to it than just my one view and I appreciate you helping me to see that.   :thumbsup:

Edited by El Negrito
  • Like 2