BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Seems to be a recurring theme here  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Its always nice to have the backing from the family but its down to want you want to do,

I am not asking my family to move with me, but i am hoping they can see the change in me to hopefully have a future doing something that interest me.

In my case i know one day sooner then later we will be making our move to the phils, where who knows it changes everyday, but thats the joy i have for my future, will it be in the countryside or at the beach or heaven help me in the city,

I do hope my daughters will one day come and see me, but its down to them to do that, with skype and other ways of being in touch well it will be like sitting next to you when making contact,

• Like 4

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Family can be gems. One of my brothers who has never been anywhere excepting Hawaii gave me alot of advice. I kept telling him, you're an idiot and finally that he should at least google something before he decides to warn me about it. The rest of the family has been great.

I have a friend who I told about my plans and he jumped in with both feet and barely remembered to hold his nose. Surprises have been hitting him left and right, not all of them good. The last phone conversation I had with him he told me I should never feel bad for putting the notion in his head because he's as happy as he has ever been, even with the surprises. He had been living alone in an apartment for the previous 20 years. Life had been passing him by. His children and others close to him, would have much rather he stay in a retirement apartment vegetating. It was not even a matter of distance, his children would not even drive 50 miles to see him and generally he was not welcome when he drove to visit them. He blew through alot of money when he first arrived in the Philippines and basically he lives off of his social security with a small nest egg. He does not spend like he used to but his fiancee is still standing with him, as others have said she would not. Other people can't live your life for you.

All my life I have been the idiot who did not know something could not be done. Either I have constantly done the impossible, or those telling me things are impossible are saying that because THEY can't do it and in their minds, it's the same thing. Don't allow other people to determine what you will do with your life and if you are going to live your life for someone else, make sure it's someone who lives under the same roof with you. Most people who want to run your life can't even keep a plant alive, make sure you like what they have before they can become your life coach. Those are my thoughts on the subject.

Triple Like, Robert K, I can relate to all you have said, hope you mate is enjoying his life here, I know I am.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

My friend called me again this morning and asked me to bring a few things to make his life better, an outdoor thermometer, a good potato masher and some over the counter medications that Mercury drug knows what they are but they are never in stock. Compared to how he was in the US, he sounds so spry I wonder if I will be able to keep up with him. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Focus on what is right in your life, the rest will follow behind as it should, or get left behind.

Fantastic Eulogy of Life.  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
rfhypnos
Posted
Posted

Iam 68 and working on a K-1 fiancé visa, my fiancé is 42.  My two oldest daughters are 42 and 38 from my deceased first wife

. They are both against me making this move and marrying such a young woman.  One even accused me of being a sex addict and the proof is in me marrying younger each time.  Second wife was 14 years younger and I divorced her after two years of abusing my kids.  Third wife was great until she started drinking heavily and going out in the woods with another guy.  So now I am on number 4 and have bladder cancer in remission just looking for happiness and a companion.  I hope at some point the daughters will accept her. She is a great lady and keeps me happy which is he single most important thing you can hope for in life, cancer or no cancer.  Oh, by the way my ex wife is supportive and we are friends now, and the step daughter also thinks I should be happy.   Good kid. 

• Like 4

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

rfhypnos sir, I hope that you can continue to keep the cancer at bay-first and foremost. Secondly, family's opinions usually speak louder volumes than that of friends, aquaintances, etc, Sometimes it can be rough hearing what they have to say. Just think if you were going to move to the Philippines to retire-how that would go over in addition to what you're hearing now. It's intersting, you know, my filipina wife, she is 42 as well, and when in the Philippines on visits, old friends often ask why I chose to be with such an ""old lady"" (been married over a year-K-1 for me as well). We are only 14 years difference. In some ways I kind of envy those who posted earlier here and shared experiences of such positive support from their families. But at my age (mid 50's) nobody is going to have a sit down long talk on this subject and they know it. They would have to shout over the music as I am playing "My Way" by Frank Sinatra anyway.

• Like 3