Husbands That Go Crazy With Their Money

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's not just filipinas. I had a SIL who was validated as a person by spending, much of it on shoes that she never wore and gave away. I think the rationale was that she must matter because only a person who mattered could drop $3,000 on the Home Shopping Club in 5 minutes without batting an eyelash, buying things she didn't really need or really even want. As you say Davewe, it's up to them. I felt it was required with my brother to warn him one time before they were married, everybody else is on their own. :)

As a post script, I'm not totally against a little retail therapy, as long as it's within reason.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 4

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Now let me be clear that as an older guy who is not impoverished, my basic feeling is that guys (and their wives) can do whatever they want with their money. It's theirs and not my business.   But I sure as hell wish the women would stop posting their extravagances on Facebook!

Maybe they will learn when someone sees what nice stuff they have and decides to rob them. Heck I've been told to be careful with the boxes I throw in the trash, especially on big ticket items like computers or big screen TV's, because it advertises what you have in your house for thieves to steal. Forget posting that stuff on Facebook.  :unsure:

• Like 2

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
As a post script, I'm not totally against a little retail therapy, as long as it's within reason.

I agree, if I was in the dog house or she was depressed then that was one sure thing to make my late wife happy, new shoes or new dress.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Imelda Marcos Shopping Guide (http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20093327,00.html).  

This article was written 1986 by People Magazine.  Although I can no longer find the reference, this is how she shops

in NYC or Paris.  Followed by her entourage, she would walk in and wave her hand across the shopping floor.  Within

that arc, all sales items are considered reserved, to be paid in cash immediately.   

Here is the southern California, I was very uncomfortable when Judy forced me to go to Sunday Mass.  I didn't have

anything to wear.  Well, at least not in the same level of bling-bling I noticed of many Filipino couples showing off their

BMW's and Mercedes.  It was too much 24K gold being worn by a plastic heart.  Another thing why I hated to go -- 

not because my car is an old Honda Accord with bald tires.  I had to avoid the Holy Water.  It would be a dead giveaway

if I burn my forehead again......he, he.

I am the poor, the bad and the ugly -- Jake

Edited by Jake
checking my generalization of Filipinos -- never used the word ALL
  • Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
But I sure as hell wish the women would stop posting their extravagances on Facebook!

They like to brag. It is called "Big Head" here. 

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Well, at least not in the same level of bling-bling I noticed of many Filipino couples showing off their BMW's and Mercedes.  It was too much 24K gold being worn by a plastic heart.

What's going on there that there are so many rich Filipinos?

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, at least not in the same level of bling-bling I noticed of many Filipino couples showing off their BMW's and Mercedes.  It was too much 24K gold being worn by a plastic heart.

What's going on there that there are so many rich Filipinos?

Many well to do Filipinos and their families are military or retired with a pretty good pension.  The wife usually works also

and have a big house with a baby grand piano.  I've been to many of their homes, picking up their Forex boxes to be sent

to PI.  

Even though most are middle or upper middle class, opulence is in their blood.......and love to advertise their bling-bling.  

Edited by Jake
checking generalization of Filipinos -- never used the word ALL
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

There are many wealthy and educated Filipinos, especially among the Chinese-Filipino community. They're the people who control the country. But few foreign pensioners ever meet them. They don't want their daughters marrying an old foreigner, it would be a family disgrace. So we read that "all" Filipinos are this and that. Sweeping generalities; in one ear, out the other.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are many wealthy and educated Filipinos, especially among the Chinese-Filipino community. They're the people who control the country. But few foreign pensioners ever meet them. They don't want their daughters marrying an old foreigner, it would be a family disgrace. So we read that "all" Filipinos are this and that. Sweeping generalities; in one ear, out the other.

Generalization check -- never used the word ALL........... 

Edited by Jake
attitude check
  • Like 1