Can I Live On This Amount

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have had a few weeks of work and its been going bad, the other day i had to bite my lip of i would have told them to stuff the job and i would have walked out,

Deep down i know i cant but could i tell there where to go and just pack up and move knowing i am never going back ,

So i did a calculation on what i may have in cash, 

INCOME  from rental, £350 to £450  a month

PRIVATE PENSION 1    £170              a  month

PRIVATE PENSION 2            £120          a month

I cannot claim my state pension for another 10 years so thats not included in my figures

Savings    £50,000

So monthly income would be around  £650 to £750,

There would be no rent to pay out of this figure, just the cost of living and enjoying ourselves,

Those of you who live out there maybe on less maybe on a lot more too, what do you think on what i have coming in,

I cannot see the income changing much at all until my state pension kicks in and that could be £500+ extra per month,

The only thing that could change for definite would be the saving pot the longer i stay here in England the more savings we shall have 

I am not into flash stuff at all, i love my photography and thats going to keep me busy, in other words i am a tight git, 

What are you views

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

There's a long thread on this topic as I am sure you know. Since I can't deal with pounds, I converted to USD and see that your monthly would be about $1200 and your savings is about $80000.

The answer from my point of view is how do you want to live? You say you're a bit tight, which is good. Not sure where you are gonna live - so that's a big issue. Another issue I would ask is what will you do with your savings? Invest it and take out 4%/year, which is standard retirement advise in the US? If so add $267/month to your monthly fund for a total of $1467.

Bottom line, since you don't have rent this is doable, if you are not living in Manila or maybe Cebu City. But I always reverse the question. Take the amount you will have and determine where you can live on that. You can certainly do it, though you may not have a lot for any luxuries or extensive travel.

Good luck!

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
Just an observation but I wonder (from my already wrecked disabled condition) why people wait until they are wrecked to retire?

Exactly why I'm in the process of setting myself up to leave the rat race at the tender age of 46.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

INCOME  from rental, £350 to £450 a month

PRIVATE PENSION 1    £170 a  month

PRIVATE PENSION 2     £120 a month

Are these 3 income streams 100% guaranteed? Likely not. Renters come and go with possible repairs needed. Company pension plans go bankrupt.

Is your wife working? 10 years is a long time to wait for the state pension. If all goes well, then you can do it but you should plan for the unexpected.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Steve does have a nest egg and I think the character  to keep out of it unless necessary and it could tide him over if his property does not rent for some time. If the nest egg is never to be touched under any circumstances whatsoever, then the nest egg may as well not exist.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The amount you need in retirement is usually less than during your working years. Expenses that can be readily eliminated include the cost of commuting to work; having lunch outside of home; end of the day drinks with your co-workers; and the expenses associated with raising children. Depending on the nature of your employment, you might be buying more expensive clothes that won't be necessary in retirement.

When making the budget calculations, focus on the lifestyle that is acceptable. The retirement income should be sufficient to pay for it plus some money set aside as a reserve fund for emergencies. 

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Why not sell the place and buy a couple rentals here in Philippines in wife's name?  

Triple like, so very Positive Dave.  smiley-gen148.gif

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Topics like this are so subjective, but very very important to someone thinking of making the big move at the later stage of their life (I know it was to me). IMO the answer really depends on the quality of life one expects upon retirement. Does a person want basically to make the move and have essentially the same perks as in his home country? Is he willing to make sacrafices? If so? What?

The answers will vary so much, all I can really say is what MY experience has been.

We saved and built up a pretty good nest egg. Sold our home in the states, took the profit and built a new home on property my wife inherited (so housing is a wash). Our total current income is 40%-45% of our working income. Having said that, with the exception of a few personalized items (carne asada burritos, cheap fresh milk that sort of thing) our quality of life has not changed a bit.  

That was my BIG BIG determining factor for the move, could I keep my standard of living with out having to continue working.

Just my 2 centavos

• Like 2