Can I Live On This Amount

Jake
Posted
Posted

make sure you bring the right climate seeds any seeds from Canada will fail . Tomatos are the hardest to grow which is the reason you can only find roma tomatos in the market.

I have a friend who tried all kinds of seeds from the states thinking they should work but they all failed badly  but once he bought local seeds he had better luck

Quite true, the right seeds make all the difference.  I grow beefsteaks and heirlooms in FL without much of  a problem. To help avoid them from being eaten by critters before I can harvest them as well as to generally make them easier to care for I grow them upside down in 5 gal buckets; the only thing you have take care about is watering as they tend to dry out faster (I use white or orange buckets).

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Grow_Tomatoes_Upside_Down

I plan to bring to some seeds and give it a go.

And I know, a bit off topic here too :)

make them easier to care for I grow them upside down in 5 gal buckets........

Hey Gator,  what have you been smoking?  Yes indeed, you can certain live on this amount.

post-686-0-14638200-1412701232_thumb.jpg

Gotcha....he, he

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
 ...... only problem with growing tomatoes upside down is forgetting to duck... :)

Maybe a little before your time Bob, but if my recollecting's right, my friend Clint Eastwood once said: "Hang em, hang em high!"

make them easier to care for I grow them upside down in 5 gal buckets........ Hey Gator, what have you been smoking? Yes indeed, you can certain live on this amount.

And live mighty high indeed my fwend. Jake, food for thought: if they grow upside down here in the Northern Hemisphere, then wouldn't they be right side up down there in the Southern Hemisphere?

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
If in a warm area (most of the Philippines), seeds from a warm location are best. If in a cooler mountainous area (such as Baguio), seeds from Canada or even New England will do better. It's a matter of matching climates.

Used to have a vege patch in my yard in Darwin, it's a very similar climate to much of The Philippines with the humidity to match.  With you on the hanging tomatoes Bob!

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=14015

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

How are the vegetables in the Luzon area? I don't expect them to be like U.S. vegetables by any means, but I was disappointed in the vegetables available in Cebu. Of course, I didn't search out a good source. I bought either market or SM vegetables. The market vegetables were usually very tough and small and the SM vegetables were a bit expensive, if I remember correctly. If I find a great source of cheap vegetables, my food budget can shrink a little.

It depends on where you are on Luzon. Manila gets all its vegetables trucked in from the highlands so they are not as fresh and cost more.

In Baguio City, which is known as the salad bowl of the Philippines, vegetables are very fresh and plentiful at the wet market since they are grown locally in the mountain climate. I even see some vegetables that claim to be organic labeled with the name of the farm that produced them.

The Philippines recently ratified an agricultural ASEAN treaty which allows free trade in farm products so vegetables imported from other ASEAN countries should become more widely available and less expensive.

Here in Baguio I prefer the vegetables from the wet market. Better selection and better quality than SM supermarket.

There is lots of unused potential in Baguio to produce far more vegetables. I see hectares of undeveloped land there and in other highlands yet the PI imports potatoes, yellow onions, and apples from China. Last month, in Bacolod, they offloaded 3 ships of rice from Vietnam.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I found the produce in the back of beyond to be pretty good, possibly it's too much trouble to transport to a big market?

• Like 1

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Back to the nest egg,  it is said the average person spends over $200, 000 in health care after retirement, so i feel thats what you need for a nest egg , so if your going to stay in PI what does that become , maybe $20,000 to 40,000.  Who knows anyone that has to get long term care what is that cost a month there for top quality care. Or what is the most you have heard of anyone spending on some type of sugery and then care. This must be aprt of your nest egg or your really a gambler.    Poker Mike

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

...... only problem with growing tomatoes upside down is forgetting to duck... :)

Maybe a little before your time Bob, but if my recollecting's right, my friend Clint Eastwood once said: "Hang em, hang em high!"

make them easier to care for I grow them upside down in 5 gal buckets........ Hey Gator, what have you been smoking? Yes indeed, you can certain live on this amount.

And live mighty high indeed my fwend. Jake, food for thought: if they grow upside down here in the Northern Hemisphere, then wouldn't they be right side up down there in the Southern Hemisphere?

MMMM if you grow them upside down, how do you stop the soil falling out?

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Maybe they are in Australia? You know down Under where  most things are upside down to us Kev!
  • Like 5

Gator
Posted
Posted

The hole isn't that big, it only needs to about 4-5cm (1.5 -2") in dia. The article I posted a link to suggests using wax, parchment or news paper; simply cut a piece about 20cm (8") in dia and then cut a small X in the middle to push the seedling through. I use a thin piece of sponge, like the type used for air filters on lawn mowers and then do the same - cut an X......

I also mix Styrofoam packing peanuts into the soil (bagged potting soil) at about a 25-35% ratio. This helps to not only cut down on the weight, but allows better aeration of the soil. In addition, I put the lid onto the bucket - I first drill about a half dozen 1cm (3/8") thru it to allow for watering. Putting the lid on helps keep the soil moist and eliminates nutrient robbing weeds.

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

And here I always just put the soil in the top part first and then the bottom...

:mocking:

• Like 1