Can I Live On This Amount

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks lads for the input so far,

I am not into investments so the nest egg is just what it is , its in the bank making very little interest but its still £50000, every month we put away £2500, so you can see ain a few months the nest egg does climb a lot

The rental is low because the house we are leaving here is going to be for my daughter, she is paying a set amount we agree with no interest, and after so long the house will be hers, yes i could sell it but this is what i would like to do, but things can change,

Ems says we could live quite well on lest then £400 a month but that does not include lots of leisure time, but with whats left over i know i could dip into the savings for that extra £100, lots of plans still to do, the only guarantee out ther is i am getting older and more stressed and to the company i am just a number,

Because i have to speak my mind what they have planned for me in the coming weeks its like being back at school, you have to laugh, i am hoping after all this i can have the last laugh at them , hay ho another day

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Steve,

From what you report it appears you are at your peak earning potential right now. If it were me I would stick it out for another year or two to increase that nest egg. In addition I would spend time researching ways to invest that nest egg safely to earn you 5-10% or so a year. So you can add the interest earned to your monthly retirement budget without touching the principal.

Retiring now looks attractive but it doesn't leave you much margin for error. You know that old saying... sh*t happens.

Perhaps set a goal. Retire and make the move when you have XXX,XXX in retirement savings. Or when your monthly retirement income is X,XXX.

You don't have to rush into any decision. Take your time. You can always make the choice to retire. But once you retire it may not be easy to get back a job earning that kind of money if something comes up and you need it.

• Like 3

Alby
Posted
Posted

The problem I see is, you might get bored if you retire at 46!

Going back to work later if sh*t happens can be very hard. It's a do and never look back thing.

With me I decided that working to make just money was going to backfire sooner or later. It was health vs money.

It's not like I am going to be able to use that money when I am 70+?

I dumped it all as soon as I hit a savings mark and age and jumped over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Renters come and go with possible repairs needed

Why not sell the place and buy a couple rentals here in Philippines in wife's name?  

where would you start , going down this road, would you buy new or convert any suggestion

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

<<<Jealous you have the option at 46 .  Now go get a financial adviser and invest the money in a low risk stock and at least get a respectable rate on your money.  That alone may make the difference 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

<<<Jealous you have the option at 46 .  Now go get a financial adviser and invest the money in a low risk stock and at least get a respectable rate on your money.  That alone may make the difference 

:thumbsup:  :cheersty:

I also bought a butt load of USD about 18 months ago, pretty happy with the result so far.  Good thing is even though the AUD has tanked against the Greenback it's fall against the the PHP has been nowhere near as significant.  

Edited by BrettGC

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
.  Why not sell the place and buy a couple rentals here in Philippines in wife's name?  

where would you start , going down this road, would you buy new or convert any suggestion

This is such a good question that I gave it a separate topic, here

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/20296-building-or-buying-a-philippine-rental-property-where-to-start/

stevewool
Posted
Posted

The problem I see is, you might get bored if you retire at 46!

If only i was 46, there would be lots of changers, add another 10 years and i have now got to be careful what i plan

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Quite a few have mentioned this now about getting a good return on your investment, anything from 5-10% and yes nothing is guaranteed i know, but i dare not risk my life savings 

I do have a set amount in stocks and shares and this was invested around 5 years ago just before the big crash, its above what was invested now but i do not count that in my everyday living,

I am the old school if its not in my bank or in my hand its not there sort of thing,

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I get a kick out of the nest egg everybody insists that we have...  All different sizes and different amounts invested in different markets,if at all, and making not enough money for the person who suggested the investment in the first place!

I myself think a nest egg is suppose to be the fall back safety amount you keep for when things fall apart for a couple months (you can read this as being a couple thousand - as in 3 or 4!  And an amount for a very special vacation wouldn't hurt.  But to have nest egg of hundreds of thousands of dollars is, to me, a waste of money that isn't doing a thing for you except filling that hole in your mattress.

:attention:  :rolleyes:  :mocking: