I'd Like Your Opinion Please

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Hi Paul, I personally like your plan in your situation. I found it interesting you write for constantcontent and textbrokers. I wrote freelance for various websites for a few months in 2010. I looked into both of those services, but they seemed extra-competitive. Instead, I advertised my writing services through the Warrior Forum. Have you heard of it? It's a website for Internet marketers, which are generally the largest segment of clients. It's very competitive, but surprisingly few of the writers have outstanding grammar skills. As a good writer, it's possible to build a good following and get paid a decent wage eventually.

I ultimately decided it was too much like real work and went back to doing what I do--Internet poker.

Anyway, I spent nearly three years near Cebu City, ending in 2010. I plan on returning to the Philippines, hopefully permanently, in one year. My "bare bones" budget looks almost identical to yours ($810). This will be my initial budget. Ultimately, I don't plan on using that budget, and instead my "normal" budget is $1090. This is exclusive of an emergency fund. This has a bit of extra spending built in, but honestly I will be happy without much of that extra spending. I do plan on building a somewhat pricey karaoke rig, which is great for hosting get-togethers and meeting people.

As someone else previously stated, it's very important to make a great friend or two that you can rely on. They can help you out in numerous situations. Before my first trip, I was fortunate enough to make good friends with a family via the Internet. I developed a trust in them, and that trust wasn't betrayed when I visited. The family kept me safe and didn't really have expectations of me. I treated them with respect and they treated me the same.

For my next trip, I have a few Facebook friends in cities near where I plan to live (Lipa City). I'm very confident in my friends and I know they will be there to help me out.

I believe you will find the Philippines to your liking. Personally, I would make plans to visit for six months and near the end of that time, if you love living there...make your decision then. There really won't be much difference (during your first six months) whether you consider it a "visit" or whether you "move" there, except that "moving there" may lock you in a bit more. There's really no downside to just visiting for six months and continuing your stay after that time.

I cannot know how your condition would affect your interactions with Filipinos, but they are highly accepting and forgiving (especially of foreigners). If you try living in (visiting) the Philippines and it doesn't work out, then you've gained some new experiences. You will be more thankful for what you do have, I guarantee it. If you enter the Philippines and never want to leave, then so much the better!

Just make sure you leave yourself an "escape plan." You certainly don't want to be stuck there without at least enough to get back to the United States.

Oh, and one more small thing: you are required to leave the country at least once every 18 months. You can grab a cheap airline ticket on promo to a nearby country (or even a boat ride if you're ambitious). It'll cost under $100, but something you'll need to budget for.

• Like 5

Paul Dean
Posted
Posted

Great advice everyone, I will definitely check out the book "Culture Shock Philippines" as well as the warrior forum. Thanks for all the help you guys!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Great advice everyone, I will definitely check out the book "Culture Shock Philippines" as well as the warrior forum. Thanks for all the help you guys!

Hello Paul,

Another hot topic with 5 pages, 42 comments!  No doubt that you have researched and planned for your next visit to PI.

Some of us don't even bother and found out the dark realities of another culture and people.  If living or working in PI

does not pan out, then I believe you can still see more of the positives rather than the bitter negatives of travelling in the

Far East.  

In the meantime, I can see you getting inspired to write many wonderful fantasy novels in this beautiful tropical settings:

post-686-0-76852100-1412053617_thumb.jpg

post-686-0-99307900-1412052966_thumb.jpg with this in the foreground.......he, he.

Welcome aboard Paul, respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

is that a picture of the chocolate hills Jake

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

is that a picture of the chocolate hills Jake

Yeah, I heard it was called twin peaks......he, he.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Oh, and one more small thing: you are required to leave the country at least once every 18 months.

:rolleyes: I don't want to Nit pick but  I  need  to on this one. It is now 3 years, That is for Tourists on 9a Visa and Extending. People on 13 a permanent and Retirement Visas do not

JFYI

Hi all, sorry for my absence but it has been one on those weeks  :hystery:  :dance:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 5

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Oh, and one more small thing: you are required to leave the country at least once every 18 months.

:rolleyes: I don't want to Nit pick but  I  need  to on this one. It is now 3 years.

Wow, that's great news! The two six month extensions are new as well since I've visited.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

:rolleyes: I don't want to Nit pick but  I  need  to on this one. It is now 3 years.

Wow, that's great news! The two six month extensions are new as well since I've visited.

The 6 month extensions are not available at all the offices yet... but "maybe soon, sir".... I can't wait until we get them in my area.     :tiphat:

• Like 1