Has Anyone Climbed Mount Canlaon?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Will be in Canlaon City over Christmas and it looks like a  good way to lose some of those calories!

• Like 1

Hopeless
Posted
Posted

Be careful on who you use to guide you . Its a long walk up you need to spend a night on the Volcano and its gets cold so check what they have brought for you to sleep in/on  ,  You need to be in pretty good shape for the trip  but awesome reward to make it

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Be careful on who you use to guide you . Its a long walk up you need to spend a night on the Volcano and its gets cold so check what they have brought for you to sleep in/on  ,  You need to be in pretty good shape for the trip  but awesome reward to make it

Thanks - that's the sort of advice I am looking for! Presumably hiking boots, not flip flops...some warm clothing indicated also - will have a sleeping bag with me anyway.... 

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Will be in Canlaon City over Christmas and it looks like a  good way to lose some of those calories!

Hi and yes climbed it 3 times.  Compared to mayon its a walk in the park but last time we really had a tough climb.

Will write more later,rushing a little now,  we have a group climbing in January if you care to join.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Hi and yes climbed it 3 times.  Compared to mayon its a walk in the park but last time we really had a tough climb.

Will write more later,rushing a little now,  we have a group climbing in January if you care to join.

Thanks!

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

The climb is not so difficult, one needs to have some form of fitness but as we are only as fast as the slowest member we take it pretty easy. 

As a general of thumb, 5 minute rest each hour. Of course lunch breaks as well. If any member requires additional stops this is considered normal.

The guide...organizer I use is a personal friend of mine. he weighs about 38KG, carries basically his own weight, these guys are fit, strong. remember once an  arduous climb we had, bad weather at shoulder and no sleep at all. Was so happy to get down, this guy had around an hour rest  and back up with another group....my upmost respect.

Anyway required is.

1.....permit which costs P500 long nose P300 local.

2.....Porter fee shared P500 per day....They earn it..... Guide P750 (He earns it)  all shared.

3....Sleeping bag and tents rental, think P50.

4...Ride to start is from memory P100 each.

5.....Warm hat and jacket, thick socks which can be brought at Okay Okay

They supply cookers and one can either bring food or these guys can organize it, better bring your own. We normally buy their food, they sure can eat so allow around P25 each member for their share.

The way its climbed now is departing from brg  Mapot,  around 3pm, 2 hours max to base camp. next day early start and around 6 hour climb to shoulder. Over night and and say 45 minutes to crater, next is the grueling down hill decent.  One can desent on an alternatite trail how ever this takes a little longer.

One cannot underestimate the weather here, we experienced once temps around 7---8C pouring rain and intense wind making erecting the tent almost impossible. Can honestly say I froze all night, was one of the mos tmiserable nights I have ever had. Everything was wet....I hate to imagine what wind chill factor was. 

Plastic bags are essential, one must stay dry at night.

Feel free to PM me. 

I have also climber it from Mambalcal  which is easier but longer.  If one  googles it there are many links available. 

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thanks - very helpful

• 4 weeks later...
Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, here we are in Canlaon City with a permit for the weekend of the 27th/28th taking the Mapot/Mananawin trail.

K, a cousin of hers and her husband and one of K's nieces plus self, two porters, one guide, booked through Laddie G Lamis of Canlaon City Tourist Office , tel 09286384322

Description of route here:
http://www.akrosdayunibers.com/travel-guides/mount-kanlaon-mapot-mananawin-trail-diy-travel-guide-contacts-transportation-and-hiking-fees

K shopping for boots and a rain jacket as I write.

Edited by Methersgate

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I haven't climbed it. I have even problem to climb to the orchard of my gf's family  :boohoo:  :mocking:

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Plan on hold due to gf in hospital