Has Anyone Climbed Mount Canlaon?

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Do people  it , in and out on the same day it sounds possible. Skip some of the breaks. My plan is to do a lot of trails when i am there, i can handle a 12 hour day of climbing ,  maybe 8 hours elevation then 4 going out.

i sure hope that is possible, i do the Grand Canyon in and out on the same day . Its almost 8 miles going down then a tough 9 miles climbing out.  Its tough but prefer that to camping out. It is not advised but if you are in good shape its doable.   Poker Mike

RBM
Posted
Posted

Do people  it , in and out on the same day it sounds possible. Skip some of the breaks. My plan is to do a lot of trails when i am there, i can handle a 12 hour day of climbing ,  maybe 8 hours elevation then 4 going out.

i sure hope that is possible, i do the Grand Canyon in and out on the same day . Its almost 8 miles going down then a tough 9 miles climbing out.  Its tough but prefer that to camping out. It is not advised but if you are in good shape its doable.   Poker Mike

Guess each climb is somewhat unique to its climate and degree of difficulty. Also one must consider the safety and rescue  aspects here which would differ considerable from the US. 

I would encourage the OP to listen carefully to his guides, these guy I have found knowledgeable and very safe. Just hope the weather clears but seems unlikely the next days.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Well we tried and failed.

We took the Mapot trail to Makawili and traversed the ridge to the shoulder where we camped with the intention of making the summit next day. The weather during the night was truly vile - the guides said they had never known such a strong wind. Rain and temperature of 5 degrees.

At 01.30 our rented tent disintegrated and the flysheet is now somewhere between here and Dumaguete! K and I piled into the guides' tent. At dawn the wind was still strong but the visibility had closed in to 50 yards and the guides said that attempting the summit was unsafe in the conditions. Not an opinion I would disagree with.

So down we went to Mananawin. We left an in-opened 4 litres of bottled water at the camp site as a peace offering to the mountain / present for the next party, the guides ensured that not a scrap of litter was left and we set off down.

The early stages of the descent were disagreeable as the path was just a pot holed mud slide, due to the rains. K sprained an ankle and was helped and sometimes carried by the guides, whom I cannot praise too highly.

Timings: left the F&C Guesthouse by truck for Mapot 05.30, camped on shoulder at 15.30, started descent at 06.30, back at F&C 15.00

I was pushing it to try at this time of year: the guides say April is the best month.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

This being the Philippines, two of the four guides were related to K on her mother's side (her mother is from Canlaon). K was in hospital the day before with a UTI but made the climb anyway and - good thought - marched the four guides into the ukay-ukay and bought them all better boots as well as a meal at the F&C when we were done. Needless to say the sprained ankle is All My Fault...;)

• Like 1

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Methersgate if you went in ideal conditions how long would it take to reach the summit? Then after camping out for the night how long was the decent? I still am curious about a one day hike.  Is there a lot of rock climbing or you following a trail.

I take 2 different dificult hikes about about a half a dozen times a year. The shortest being 17 miles, then 27 miles . It is recommened that you camp out for a night and not to complete hike in one day. I have never camped out because i always felt i had a lot left in the gas tank.

I also practice on one of local mountains considered difficult about a 19 percent grad,e for up to seven hours a day. I am confused on this hike why the guides suggest a 5 minute break per hour that seems like a lot. Unless it is a very steep grade. what id the distance of the hike? It must be over 20 miles.   

My wife is tougher than me she can climb forever, she will not be happy with the breaks she likes to keep going, can you hire private guides that would be willing in and out one day.

Is it beautiful you have said much about that, are there waterfalls?  Poker Mike

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

There is no rock, it is all trail.

I would say for a very fit person it could be done in a day if you did Mapot - Mananawin, but you must have a guide. The guides can certainly do it in a day

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Thank you, do you have an idea on the total distance in miles? Where do i find the quality guides? do you know how long it takes the guides to do it one day? thanks for your help   Poker Mike

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Guides and permits all arranged by Laddie G. Lamis at the Canlaon Tourist Office. Mobile: 0928 638 4322 - his English is good and his advice sound.

Our team (all of whom I recommend):

Guides: Ryan Joseph Villagomez and Julian Orbigoso

Porters:

John Dave Mission and Lino Unabia

Their English was limited but since two of them turned out to be cousins of K, whose mother comes from Canlaon City, this was hardly an issue for us.

Distance - not  more than 12-15 miles, I would say, but stiff climbing. You absolutely need a good pair of industrial gloves (p35 from hardware store in Canlaon) for grasping the vegetation both up and down.

Water - recommendation is 4 litres per head for 2 days excluding cooking - you cannot do with less. Rechargeable flashlight P100 from hardware store.

Permits: P500 long nose P 300 local. Guides P700/day porters P500 /day and they earn it. Rental of tent P500/tent sleeping bags P100/bag cookstove and porters do the cooking P300. Truck to/from Canlaon City P100 per head

There is no real outdoor store in Canlaon but you can buy butane (Laddie's recommendation for us was 4 cans) at P25/can from the outdoor store which is really a mountain bike store. Rain capes in stores plastic and offered at prices between P450 and 350. Recommend you bring your own wet weather kit.

I brought along a North Face down jacket for K; wished I had brought the down inner for my own Goretex jacket but had no space for it. 

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Thank you,  looking forward to this hike.   Poker Mike

RBM
Posted
Posted

I would agree its possible to do climb in day but who for goodness sake who  could enjoy this. Perhaps an iron man contestant. having climbed it 3 times I think it would be crazy.

The team I have worked with now recommend and I agree totally is.

1...Start climb as methergate did from Capot but at 3.30pm.

2...Camp at the base camp there, relax have a drink have fun.

3...Early start to the shoulder, camp and relax, not to much to drink.....

4...Early start, 30 minutes to summit, crater edge with great care. 

5...Assent as did Methergate via Mananawin back to town. 

The whole experience is to enjoy the climb, I fully support the comments of Metersgae especially the gloves. Further having had his experience weather wise its very miserable up there in rain. 

​I am organizing a trip for January, any hint of rain climb shall be postponed.