Has Anyone Climbed Mount Canlaon?

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Thanks gentleman , i think that i am going to play it safe and on the first try camp out. Then if i find it to find the dificulty not to extreme on the scond time try to do it one day. Yes i do plan to use it as training for an ironman or a tough mudder. My 23 year old daughter wants to do the ironman in Cebu next year and wants me to find some tough courses there for her to train on. Right now or training includes running up our local mountain with 20 pound weight belts, it is a 19% grade so very dificult we do not take a break. in the summer here in Arizona we have done it in 110 plus degree heat. Sometimes our workouts are 6 hours plus and burn well over 10,000 calories. Usually lose about 7 pounds.

Your information is great wish i knew the exact distance but we will know after our first climb. We need to know to set our pace. She likes to go around setting time records for mountains. Currenlty she is the best in Phoenix , she is lean and mean.  ha ha

The drinking sounds great but dont drink when i climb at all. Afterwords party central.   thanks guys  Poker Mike

RBM
Posted
Posted

Thanks gentleman , i think that i am going to play it safe and on the first try camp out. Then if i find it to find the dificulty not to extreme on the scond time try to do it one day. Yes i do plan to use it as training for an ironman or a tough mudder. My 23 year old daughter wants to do the ironman in Cebu next year and wants me to find some tough courses there for her to train on. Right now or training includes running up our local mountain with 20 pound weight belts, it is a 19% grade so very dificult we do not take a break. in the summer here in Arizona we have done it in 110 plus degree heat. Sometimes our workouts are 6 hours plus and burn well over 10,000 calories. Usually lose about 7 pounds.

Your information is great wish i knew the exact distance but we will know after our first climb. We need to know to set our pace. She likes to go around setting time records for mountains. Currenlty she is the best in Phoenix , she is lean and mean.  ha ha

The drinking sounds great but dont drink when i climb at all. Afterwords party central.   thanks guys  Poker Mike

Pokermike are you saying you will jog, run and or climb for 6 hours and take in no fluids? Maybe I misunderstood............

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I take Pokermike to mean no alcohol; our guides certainly took a couple of bottles of Emperador with them (decanted into plastic bottles at the start).

Pokermike - You can use the water on the mountain for cooking but it's not recommended for drinking.

We have all agreed to have another go - at some future date - and take longer over it, possibly hiking in from the West side.

• Like 1

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

Pokermike..if you and your daughter want to do a mountain race try the Seward Mountain Marathon..its held on  the 4th of July weekend in Seward Alaska .. I guarantee that it will be a real challenge 

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Thanks Big dog , i will have my daughter check that out. i am sure it is tough. the answer to fluids is i always have my camelback with me it holds three liters. Locally the mountain we climb typically will take a normally fit person about two hours to climb , we do it in a little under a half hour. If my daughter is not slowed down by me she does it in 20 minutes and change if we are doing a speed run. The average person does not complete the climb and just quits halfway, there is nice bench with a view , they take some pictures and thewn head back down. The great thing about this type of a hike or jog for us , is that when we get to the bottom we can get more water from our car if needed, keep bottles of frozen liquid in our cooler in the car. We grab a few bottles and turn around and go again, no break. If i do 6 times up and down i pace myself for one hour and 15 minutes per run.

The night before it is important to take in a lot of fluids. Then the morning of the hike drink from two to four liters of fluids before the hike. The day of if you are not hydrated you cant catch up. I am looking forward to so many great hikes over there.  Thanks everyone great input! Poker Mike

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have thought about what I will do differently next time:

1. Climb it in April as per guides' recommendation.

2. Bring own tent - proper climbing type.

3.Bring a better pair of boots, with some grip left in the soles. I used an od pair of hiking boots with soft soles and was sliding all over the place.

4. Bring some of the sort of food that we are used to when climbing i.e. a lot of Kendal Mint Cake and a supply of dehydrated food - a lot of the weight taken by the porters was rice and canned food, because that is al that is available here.

5. Down jacket was a good idea - seems silly in the tropics but it was well popular with K who wore it!

6. Take an extra day, hike in from Wasay or Guintubdan and enjoy the scenery.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1