Yet They Say Oh! No We Don't Have A Thing Called Long Nose Tax!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Bull Chit!   :unsure:

Above packages are for Filipino passport holder only, surcharge for Foreign passport Holder is USD40/pax **

WTF Who do they think they are Kidding. 1%20(103).gif 

**This was taken from a local Travel Agents Brochure only Yesterday

JP :tiphat: 

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

It's because of the weight difference.

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Shameful and stupid.

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

Mike I'm glad you said that.  If it was me I would be Banned from making any more comments.  For some reason people don't like to hear how stupid they are. 

Since I pay more taxes than most Filipinos I will not be paying their inflated prices for foreigners.  Stupid is the best description.  Am I banned now?  Put on your Rose Colored Glasses and forgive me, haha.  Some people don't want to know the truth.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I disagree. I was really upset when our Italian host showed a driver's license to get free entrance to visit museums and national heritage sites. We had to pay as foreign nationals. During a calmer, more rational moment, the whole thing started to make sense. Locals should be encouraged to learn more about their history and culture. They pay taxes as residents. We don't.

At one time Hawaii visitor attractions offered residents a one year pass for the price of one time entrance. If we wanted to visit the Polynesian Cultural Center several times in a year, we only paid once. The promo encouraged us to take our visitors. They paid the admission price. We were free (evening buffet was extra).

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Mike I'm glad you said that.  If it was me I would be Banned from making any more comments.  For some reason people don't like to hear how stupid they are. 

Since I pay more taxes than most Filipinos I will not be paying their inflated prices for foreigners.  Stupid is the best description.  Am I banned now?  Put on your Rose Colored Glasses and forgive me, haha.  Some people don't want to know the truth.

Mike, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you were calling the policy stupid, not the entire country.

This has been discussed in other threads.  Offering local discounts on a tourist price is common practice in many places, not just the Philippines.  It can be done in different ways that are not so blunt, but it is done.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Also, I would differentiate between a tourist tax and long nose tax.  To me, the long nose tax is an inflated price I (I guess I am a long nose) might pay at the wet market.  A tourist tax applying to all foreign tourists ( as in the Palawan example ) is different, in my mind.

• Like 3

Julia
Posted
Posted (edited)

:th_unfair: :angry: :23_11_62[1]:

Wife and I were looking into the underground river tour in Palawan. Seems you need an advance permit to enter.

http://www.lakas.com.ph/2012/02/how-to-get-an-entry-permit-to-the-underground-river-in-puerto-princesa/

8254027574_c27debb818.jpg

8252956865_f2ac232c97.jpg

It's because of the weight difference.

I beg to disagree about the weight difference as their basis for the entrance fee, because if weight is the factor in determining the entrance fee, i guess they would need to weigh first all those who intend to secure permit to enter the cave then they can charge then because of their weight, just MHO though....

this is some of the things that any Pinoy could never be proud of :(

in behalf of my country, I would say I am sorry for the way they treat the foreigners so unfairly. If I were in your shoes, and I were a tourist in your country, charged differently just because I were a foreigner, i would surely feel the same way like you do.

I do not know if it this idea works but maybe a letter of request for "fair treatment"  addressed to the Department of Tourism might help to correct this wrong practice of the locals. I will mention this thing to my friends in Palawan, maybe they could do something about this, i don't know... i will just give them a call and cal their attention, but still it is up to them if they will re-consider this matter...

Edited by TamXy
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I live on the Gold Coast in Australia, it's the tourist capital of the country.  Local residents are always offered special deals for any of the attractions that the tourists can't obtain; whatever their origin.  

Having said that, if you live in Asia and have a European heritage and don't speak the local language, it's naive in the extreme to expect you're not being take for somewhat of a ride in most circumstances.  There's a reason many of the members here don't go to the wet markets etc with their partners.  Farang, kano, gwai lo, bule, take your pick, it's all the same sh&t, different shovel but generally all parties involved walk away happy with the deal. 

I have to admit though, the OP example is a little over the top.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2