Yet They Say Oh! No We Don't Have A Thing Called Long Nose Tax!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Where it hurts them is word of mouth. It may turn off someone who had intended to visit the country but was on the fence so it not only affects the local operators but the country as a whole. But just like the whale shark thing, they have a cash cow. Let them milk it as long as they can. All the guides (who talk and tell jokes non-stop I heard) and all the others employed there can always go back to fishing and driving trikes for p150 a day when it's over.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

There is also "spouse or girlfriend of long nose" tax!

Local family tax?

:whistling:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Mike I'm glad you said that.  If it was me I would be Banned from making any more comments.  For some reason people don't like to hear how stupid they are. 

Since I pay more taxes than most Filipinos I will not be paying their inflated prices for foreigners.  Stupid is the best description.  Am I banned now?  Put on your Rose Colored Glasses and forgive me, haha.  Some people don't want to know the truth.

There is a big difference, calling a people stupid is wrong calling a policy stupid is your opinion and I agree with you. 

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Wife and I were looking into the underground river tour in Palawan. Seems you need an advance permit to enter.

The advance permit is not new.  We had to get it when we went two years ago.  I don't know if it is still as popular as it was back when we went, but the advance permits had to be dispensed as the daily line ups were long.  There are only a finite number of  trips through the day, and the permit was to avoid instances where people would line up and be disappointed because they were too far back in the line to be accommodated.

As for the higher charge for foreigners - we saw the same thing in some attractions when we were in Peru.  And, it was similarly bluntly stated.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

There is a big difference, calling a people stupid is wrong calling a policy stupid is your opinion and I agree with you. 

would it be safe to say

, that policy makers or the ones who make/formulate the rules or these policies   :89:

are Sxxxxd as they don't consider the consequences. due to the lack of planning or foresight  :89:

Larry45
Posted
Posted

I think foreigners, especially those that live here, get upset over these small surcharges because they are just tired of the constant price gouging on almost everything they buy here.  Property, rentals, vehicles, taxi rides, restaurant bills, food vendors, clothing, hardware, etc etc....anything not clearly priced will very often result in the seller trying to charge you more than the locals.  It's not an issue of whether or not the foreigner can afford it, it is a matter of principle, and nobody wants to play the fool.  So when an expat is constantly on the defensive about getting a fair price, he tends to 'blow his fuse' at legitimate non-resident surcharges, which as was said, exist all over the world.

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't call charging foreign-looking visitors extra a "legitimate non-resident surcharge". A legitimate non-resident surcharge would apply to anyone who isn't a resident of Palawan, regardless of nationality. Everyone else is a visitor and should be charged equally. But it's their country, they can do what they want. When I read in the paper that they're crying because they're not getting their share of tourists I will remember this story. Of course they'll always have the Fields Ave tourist segment.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
they are just tired of the constant price gouging on almost everything they buy here.

A bit off topic, but you know I keep hearing about this. In the two years I have lived here, I have yet to really see it. When we built our house I took a list of materials we would be needing to three different building supply places and my brother-in-law to a fourth (with out me :thumbsup: ) and they were all very close in price. I have never had a taxi charge more than the meter says. Our restaurant (both large and small establishments) bills always agree with the price listed on the menu. The local shops and tradesmen who make keys, fix my flip flops charge me the same as our maid when we send her out by herself. When I buy pan de sal at the bakery in the morning my 20 peso bag has the same amount as the locals next to me.

The one time at the wet market, a lady tried to charge me double for a bunch of grapes, but I had seen someone just ahead of me pay and I faced the lady down and got the local price.

It might be because I live in Metro and not in the provinces and this is only MY personal experience.

• Like 3

Larry45
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't call charging foreign-looking visitors extra a "legitimate non-resident surcharge". A legitimate non-resident surcharge would apply to anyone who isn't a resident of Palawan, regardless of nationality. Everyone else is a visitor and should be charged equally. But it's their country, they can do what they want. When I read in the paper that they're crying because they're not getting their share of tourists I will remember this story. Of course they'll always have the Fields Ave tourist segment.

If a foreigner can show proof of residency (maybe a driver's license), then he will pay the local rate, right?  I don't know, as I've never been any place here that has posted rate differentials.

they are just tired of the constant price gouging on almost everything they buy here.

A bit off topic, but you know I keep hearing about this. In the two years I have lived here, I have yet to really see it. When we built our house I took a list of materials we would be needing to three different building supply places and my brother-in-law to a fourth (with out me :thumbsup: ) and they were all very close in price. I have never had a taxi charge more than the meter says. Our restaurant (both large and small establishments) bills always agree with the price listed on the menu. The local shops and tradesmen who make keys, fix my flip flops charge me the same as our maid when we send her out by herself. When I buy pan de sal at the bakery in the morning my 20 peso bag has the same amount as the locals next to me.

The one time at the wet market, a lady tried to charge me double for a bunch of grapes, but I had seen someone just ahead of me pay and I faced the lady down and got the local price.

It might be because I live in Metro and not in the provinces and this is only MY personal experience.

Maybe you blend in better than I do, or maybe its the difference between province and city.  Seems like it's very common here.  I go to an eatery at least once a week that is a block away from me, and they still try to overcharge me almost every time...haha.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If a foreigner can show proof of residency (maybe a driver's license), then he will pay the local rate, right?  I don't know, as I've never been any place here that has posted rate differentials.

I don't know. If you presented a Philippine DL I don't think it would suffice but maybe if you argued they would agree. Who knows. I wouldn't patronize any "attraction" that had this kind of tiered pricing for "foreigners". 

I go to an eatery at least once a week that is a block away from me, and they still try to overcharge me almost every time...haha.

ditto...unless they know you most of them will try to overcharge you every time. I've lived in this town for 3 years now so most know me at least by sight so they usually don't try. But in the market I'm fair game so I don't go.

• Like 2