Yet They Say Oh! No We Don't Have A Thing Called Long Nose Tax!

Mike S
Posted
Posted
If a foreigner can show proof of residency (maybe a driver's license), then he will pay the local rate, right? I don't know, as I've never been any place here that has posted rate differentials.

I don't know. If you presented a Philippine DL I don't think it would suffice but maybe if you argued they would agree. Who knows. I wouldn't patronize any "attraction" that had this kind of tiered pricing for "foreigners".

Didn't work for me at several places in Cebu City .... I showed them my ACR I card and they just pointed to the sign that gave tourest price ..... in one case I paid it .... the other I left .... here they look at all foreigners as tourests ..... :1 (103): :th_unfair:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

The way I look at the local price and foreigner price is its saying us and then, Filipinos and everyone else who are not Filipinos.  Paying a little more doesn't bother me but the us verses them does. Its almost like saying you are not welcome here. 

Charging a non-local more than a local based on taxes does not apply in the Philippines because there is no City Tax or County Tax like we have in the USA.  I pay the same 12% National Tax that Filipinos pay, my wife and I pay Property Tax on our land, we pay taxes when we register our motorcycle and Multicab so we pay the same taxes as all Filipinos who have any money to spend.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

There is little manufacturing here, almost everything is imported. The main product they export are their own citizens who flee for jobs in other countries and send the money home. That is not a long-term sustainable economic model because it’s subject to the policies, politics, and whims of the host countries. Look how the US cut foreign work visas after 9/11. How many Filipino nurses got caught up in that? These countries have tremendous leverage by even threatening to send these people home.

They desperately need tourist dollars but they’re going to have to do better than “It’s More Fun in the Philippines”. It’s not more fun dealing with “the worst airport in the world”, predatory cab drivers, high crime due to lack of law enforcement and corruption, and really stupid and petty things like overcharging tourists - who travel great distances at great expense, a buck more because they’re “foreign”. It’s not one single thing it’s the whole bad package.

Thats correct Mike it is not one thing that gets our backs up its the whole package of one rip off after another

• Like 2