Dash Cam Article

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Mike S. mentioned that he bought a dash cam at CDR King.  I came across this article on Top Gear.

http://www.topgear.com.ph/features/feature-articles/help-curb-corruption-on-the-road-by-installing-a-dashboard-camera

For those of you who have a dash cam, how does the view compare to the one they have, the Vico TF2+?

I want to get one and it would be nice to see some reviews here.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I bought the same as above but the non-battery type because that was recommended for tropical climes. Works great. It doesn't say so in any manual I found but it overwrites the oldest files when the 32Gb disk fills. I read the 64Gb SD also works but the specs call for 32.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ3SQRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you are buying a dash cam, I would highly recommend getting one with dual cameras, one for the driver side window as well in the case you are stopped by a corrupt enforcer e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Komando-Dual-Lens-Dash/dp/B00FH1C4N8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1418325194&sr=8-7&keywords=dash+cam+dual

Unless you are driving on really long trips even an 8gb card would take quite a while to fill on normal journeys - 350 megs is about an hour of footage @ 720p MP4

Edited by MikeB
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

">

Unless you are driving on really long trips even an 8gb card would take quite a while to fill on normal journeys - 350 megs is about an hour of footage @ 720p MP4

Yes correct .... we went back to Mambucal yesterday and filmed from the time we left till we returned ... well part way back as the battery went dead and my cigarette lighters socket didn't work .... anyway filming over 3 hours only consumed 4 gig of my memory 16gig card so we had plenty of space left .... one good thing about this DVR is that it has a motion detector which shuts the filming off when not moving and back on  when you start moving again .... 

I hope this small section of the trip loads here .... take into consideration that I am still on a learning curve with this unit .... anyway we'll see what happens ... :mocking: .... picture ain't great but then this is not a video cam and never will be .... but it may get better as I learn to use it correctly .... :thumbsup:

PICT0011.AVI

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

If you are buying a dash cam, I would highly recommend getting one with dual cameras, one for the driver side window as well in the case you are stopped by a corrupt enforcer e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Komando-Dual-Lens-Dash/dp/B00FH1C4N8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1418325194&sr=8-7&keywords=dash+cam+dual

That seems like the best way to go.  So many choices on Amazon! 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

">

Yes correct .... we went back to Mambucal yesterday and filmed from the time we left till we returned ... well part way back as the battery went dead and my cigarette lighters socket didn't work .... anyway filming over 3 hours only consumed 4 gig of my memory 16gig card so we had plenty of space left .... one good thing about this DVR is that it has a motion detector which shuts the filming off when not moving and back on  when you start moving again .... 

I hope this small section of the trip loads here .... take into consideration that I am still on a learning curve with this unit .... anyway we'll see what happens ... :mocking: .... picture ain't great but then this is not a video cam and never will be .... but it may get better as I learn to use it correctly .... :thumbsup:

attachicon.gifPICT0011.AVI

The quality seems fine for this purpose.  How does it do in low light or night time?  Do you know how wide the angle of view is?

deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

That seems like the best way to go.  So many choices on Amazon!

Most cams will not be brilliant in low light, enough to see near objects and things lit with headlights, that goes for even the best with supposed night vision, angles depend on the lens, normally its around 120º per lens, if its dual cam you will get more coverage with both facing outwards, but would lose the driver side angle without adjusting it into position first 

Actually, i found a similar dual cam locally on OLX for 2500 pesos ;) They are based close to me so might pick one up on the next paycheck. 

http://www.olx.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/63041684/2way+Car+Dashboard+Camera?referralKeywords=car+camera&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-18,18

The lense seems to be 85º per camera, so 170º total. 

Found a demo video of it here... 

And more views of the unit 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqOfBkP47Y8

one good thing about this DVR is that it has a motion detector which shuts the filming off when not moving and back on  when you start moving again

That might be a bad thing considering someone could run into you while you are stopped :p, and (most) people are stopped when enforcers are talking to them (excluding Masarati drivers)

Edited by deevey
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)
and (most) people are stopped when enforcers are talking to them (excluding Masarati drivers)

If stopped I plan on just rotating the camera to focus on the drivers side window and as long as there is movement such as hand gestures the DVR will continue to roll .... it also I believe it can be set to give more time before it stops filming ...... not sure I want a DVR attached to my side window as it appears to be in the way and also if my window is down there is no place to put it .... JMHO .... by the way you can disable this feature if you don't want it .... so you get the best of both worlds .......... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S

deevey
Posted
Posted

not sure I want a DVR attached to my side window as it appears to be in the way and also if my window is down there is no place to put it

Oh god no, I only meant aim the camera through the side window, not attach it there :)