Dash Cam Article

jon1
Posted
Posted

An ozzie friend of mine has one mounted on the dash and another on the light dome facing the driver's window

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I believe any of these dash cams will pick up audio. I know mine will. If you're trying to prove (or demonstrate) bribery or extortion that should suffice. But mine runs on voltage provided by the engine (no battery) so if he makes me turn off the engine I'm SOL anyway.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If you're trying to prove (or demonstrate) bribery or extortion that should suffice.

One Question I keep meaning to ask is, does anyone know, if the results of these videos would  be 'Admissible' in a Court of Law here?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I believe any of these dash cams will pick up audio. I know mine will. If you're trying to prove (or demonstrate) bribery or extortion that should suffice. But mine runs on voltage provided by the engine (no battery) so if he makes me turn off the engine I'm SOL anyway.

That is good point,  It seems the best option would be to have one with a rechargeable battery that runs from the car power when the car is on, but stays on the battery when there is no car power.  Like the GPS units I have had.

Mike, if you turn the key to the accessory position, does it stay on?

Edited by OnMyWay

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I believe so. It plugs into the cigarette lighter so if that has power so does the cam. My car is in the shop so can't test. They recommended non-battery type because of the high heat inside the car in the tropics. 

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

If you're trying to prove (or demonstrate) bribery or extortion that should suffice.

One Question I keep meaning to ask is, does anyone know, if the results of these videos would  be 'Admissible' in a Court of Law here?

It would be better to have the video evidence than not to have it. By showing the video to the police and the other driver at the scene, the case may not even get to court.

The dual camera that Deevy showed is good for front and rear views and then, if needed turned to the driver's side window.

Mike, you could hard wire yours to the accessory side of the ignition or to a live feed. The trim along the window snaps off. View the installation on youtube. Just remember to shut it off or disconnect it after use.

• 2 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I got a dash cam from Santa.  It was purchased at the Blade auto accessory store chain.  I'm not sure what the brand is as it just says HD DVR on the box, and the small instructions have nothing about the manufacturer.  

It seems to work fine.  I'm not sure what the angle of view is.  It will record up to 1920 X ???? HD.  It has IR but the night video is not great, as expected.  It has audio.  It has a battery.  It has motion detection but I have it turned off.  When plugged into the cig lighter it turns on automatically.  I had an extra 32 mb SD card but I don't know how much "time" it will hold yet.  It says it has "cycled" recording which I assume means it will overwrite old files when the SD fills up???   I can choose the file sizes by time:  2 or 5 or 15 minutes.  I'm not sure what is better so I set it to 15.

When I get more familiar with it I will try to post a video.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I also have mine set at 1080p and have the loop recording set at 3 minutes so it writes a new .mov file every 3 min, size is 288Mb per file if it's a full 3 min. Not sure if that's the best way, you end up with a lot of files. I am having some issues with mine, when I plug it into the lighter sometimes it doesn't start even though the led light is on. Eventually it will, so far. It also keeps resetting the date back to 1/1/2000. The picture quality is good but not sure if I would recommend this model.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
It also keeps resetting the date back to 1/1/2000.

Likely because you got the one with no battery. Every start up is a new day. Don't you wish that we were like that?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The date and time has to be stored in non-volatile memory so the non-battery should be a non-issue. That would be a defect in the cam. I was also getting lots of disk errors tonight when I was trying to read the files with the SD card in the cam, when I plugged the SD directly into the computer it worked fine. Probably should have gone with a better unit.