Dodging Christmas Gift Giving

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

Since this is a potential cost saving strategy for many of us guys, this thread seemed appropriate.

Many of my Filipino friends (ok, ya busted me, Filipina's) have been asking me: "So, what you going give me for Christmas?"

It seems this time of the year even ladies I haven't heard from in months, or even years, come out crawling out of the woodwork and ask that ubiquitous question; yet not one of them has asked me what I would I like.

Well, being the cheap Charlie that I am, I've come up with a response that leaves them dumbfounded and has settled the matter once and for all. But let me backtrack a bit first. They all know that I'm a Christian, so telling them that I'm of another faith that doesn't celebrate Christmas and that I don't do Christmas won't work. Besides, even if you tell them that, they still expect a gift, but now they have a reason to not give you one; so as not to offend you of course.

So what I've come up with is this, I simply reply: "50 pesos". Of course I get the head cocked to the side with furrowed eyebrows pouty lipped befuddled blank stare that Pinay's are well known for. After a brief pause to get just that reaction I continue on: "Christmas is about the celebration of the birth of Christ our Lord, right?" (eyebrows shoot up, eyes wide open, partial smile and I always get an enthusiastic nod too); "It's not about giving gifts to each other" (eyebrows back to furrowed and more puzzlement). "So you can use the 50 pesos for jeepny fare to and from mass and give the change to the church; or just walk to mass and give the entire 50 pesos to the church".

Invariably their response is: "Oh ok, that's fine". After all, being Catholics they're not going argue with you offering them an opportunity to give something to the church. Though several have asked if I would go to mass with them, but I can easily beg off from that request by telling them that I've already made other plans.

Has yet to fail me, but there's a few days left before the big event. Now, if I could just find a way around those other pesky annual events, like all those damn birthdays (seems some girls have several per year), I wouldn't have to dig into my San Mig budget so often.

A quote from that immortal Christmas poem:

"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"

Edited by Gator
  • Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Now, if I could just find a way around those other pesky annual events

:hystery:  I still think mike "B's statement is a Winner

"It's gotten immeasurably better since I started saying NO!"

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
I still think mike "B's statement is a Winner "It's gotten immeasurably better since I started saying NO!"

Although that's often a correct response, it's not always appropriate. Don't want to upset the Injuns too much or you just might find an arrow in your back, lol.

• Like 2

Lou49
Posted
Posted

I always say " same as last year"........( which was nothing ).

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Although that's often a correct response, it's not always appropriate. Don't want to upset the Injuns too much or you just might find an arrow in your back, lol.

Ah! OK if post-2148-0-85741200-1419040463.jpgis not for you? post-2148-0-62855600-1419040524.jpg say it the way they would with a Smile of Course! :) . "Maybe, Later only" This they will understand I am sure.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

The wife takes care of it all,,,that way if the electricity is turned off because we cant pay the bill...............its HER FAULT!!! :santa laugh:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

....its HER FAULT!!!

doh.gif Ouch! brave Words there. beam.gif

JP :tiphat: bike2.gif

• Like 5

bows00
Posted
Posted

Ahhh.. boo hoo!  I feel so sorry for you... having to fight off all those Filipinas!

• Like 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
Invariably their response is: "Oh ok, that's fine". After all, being Catholics they're not going argue with you offering them an opportunity to give something to the church. Though several have asked if I would go to mass with them, but I can easily beg off from that request by telling them that I've already made other plans.

WHY dont you go with them, you might just find out who put the Christ in Christmas!

It's always better to give than to recieve...... :t07045:

• Like 4