Safest Town Or City

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

All statistics are only as good as the data entered.

:unsure: Lets face it, there are Lies, Damn lies and Statistics  :rolleyes:

I did this once before and here it is again. The Red areas of this map are know to have crime and other Problems.post-2148-0-54382000-1420353226_thumb.jp 

Just saying.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I just watched a silly Comedy last night called "A Million Ways to Die in the West" and compared to the old west of the USA this whole country is safer than being in church.

Of course I am as cautions here as I would be anywhere, but often you just don't see crime coming.  There were 8 of us at Coco Amigos for supper 2 nights ago.  One of the girls left her cell phone visible in her bag and someone swiped it while 8 of us did not see a thing.  Of course we were all absorbed in our own conversations or whatever and not expecting it.  My gf had her phone snatched the night before while walking on the boulevard, again right out of her bag through a spot where the zipper does not close it up.  You just don't know crime is in your area until it happens to you.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Seriously, beware of comparing crime statistics.

The basis of computation is usually quite different in different places.

For example, the UK uses a system which estimates the total number of crimes using a multiplier of reported crimes, on the basis that not all crime is reported. The USA does not do this... and so on...

It must be screamingly obvious that a nation which has yet to convict anyone for the Ampatuan Massacre is significantly "less safe" than the USA, and a whole lot less safe than Iceland!

There is NO international support for Davao's claim to be the "fourth safest city in the world".

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I just watched a silly Comedy last night called "A Million Ways to Die in the West" and compared to the old west of the USA this whole country is safer than being in church.

Of course I am as cautions here as I would be anywhere, but often you just don't see crime coming.  There were 8 of us at Coco Amigos for supper 2 nights ago.  One of the girls left her cell phone visible in her bag and someone swiped it while 8 of us did not see a thing.  Of course we were all absorbed in our own conversations or whatever and not expecting it.  My gf had her phone snatched the night before while walking on the boulevard, again right out of her bag through a spot where the zipper does not close it up.  You just don't know crime is in your area until it happens to you.

Yeah, the old wild west was only wild in hollywood movies. The actual wild west was a pretty tame place.

I have had a pick pocket snatch a phone in Baguio. I kicked myself for that because I had a slight lapse in the security I maintain for things I keep on me.

That type of crime doesn't bother me a great deal. It is just annoying. The only crime I really care about is crime that is violent or could easily lead to violence.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

All statistics are only as good as the data entered... with that said, how reliable do you think any city in the Philippines is providing statistics?

So right, if the mayor [or whoever] says crime is too high, the fastest way to bring it down is to fudge the figures.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Safe for whom? I walked around Bagong Silay Caloocan Phase 10 with $5k cash on me, riding jeepneys and trikes. I wouldn't normally but I had to cancel my cards for fraud the day before my flight. I neither looked like nor acted like someone who would have $5k on them and nobody ever saw more than the pocket money I expected to spend that day. :tiphat:

I could have carried less I suppose and have more wired to me and I did have more wired to me later but as expected it was 4, shall we say very special days, before they were convinced I was me and they sent the money, this is the Philippines and cyber crime is pretty high.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Seriously, beware of comparing crime statistics.

The basis of computation is usually quite different in different places.

For example, the UK uses a system which estimates the total number of crimes using a multiplier of reported crimes, on the basis that not all crime is reported. The USA does not do this... and so on...

It must be screamingly obvious that a nation which has yet to convict anyone for the Ampatuan Massacre is significantly "less safe" than the USA, and a whole lot less safe than Iceland!

There is NO international support for Davao's claim to be the "fourth safest city in the world".

I lived in NYC years ago and was always amazed at the crime stats that showed it to be safer than many other American cities. Those living in "the city" knew different. As did virtually everyone I knew there, I got robbed due to my youth and stupidity.

The real issue whenever this sort of question comes up is not crime stats but how safe you "feel." The old crank (and let's face it that includes most of us) who is constantly talking about the guy he knew who got robbed, or a recent purse snatching, or a friend of a friend who got shot, may never feel safe in the Philippines. Crime exists everywhere and you have to decide how to conduct your life to lessen its likelihood and how scared you want to be.

I live in what is considered a relatively upscale and safe US city but believe me I can drop you off in neighborhoods where you will get robbed pronto. My Filipina wife is shocked that there is crime here, since despite what her eyes tell her, she still believes all Americans are rich and why would rich people need to rob each other or live on the streets.

BTW, my home's been robbed in my safe city, as well.

IMO, the better question to ask isn't what city is safest but how to live in the Philippines and remain safest.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Very well said, and I agree entirely.

I used to have to warn friends from Hong Kong - which really is one of the safest cities in the world - to be careful when travelling on the London Underground at night - they could not believe that London was less safe than Hong Kong.

An Australian friend did thirty years in Port Moresby - said it was as safe as anywhere - and was lucky to survive when a " rascal" robbing his house put a screwdriver through his eye...

I think there are specific dangers in the Philippines - opportunistic theft, "face" related violence, anything to do with business and the wife/girlfriend's boyfriend - avoid these if you can.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
hocoa
Posted
Posted

Maybe I lived too long outside my own country, so safe to me means (small towns, not big cities);

1. You don’t see beggars or homeless people on the streets.
  2. Snatching is unheard of.
  3. The few cases of robberies are committed by outsiders (not local residents).
  4.  Gun control is strictly enforced.
  5. Virtually no one was ever kidnapped for ransom.
  6. Insurgency (NPA or Muslim) is far, no reason to worry.

Just my two cents …

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

u don’t see beggars or homeless people on the streets. Snatching is unheard of. The few cases of robberies are committed by outsiders (not local residents).  Gun control is strictly enforced. Virtually no one was ever kidnapped for ransom. Insurgency (NPA or Muslim) is far, no reason to worry. Just my 2 cents.

:hystery:  :hystery: Sorry My friend, For one moment I thought we were talking about the Philippines :rolleyes: But..........

JP :tiphat: