The Backyard Or Two Islands Away

forget_it
Posted
Posted

I love the wife's hometown, but there's just not much there. Smartbro internet, on your lucky days. The nearest mall is an hour away. No fast food. No doctor and the hospital is just a building with no walls and bamboo beds. Beautiful area though.

She misses it a lot, but she is acclimated to where we are now. And though she doesn't like to admit it, she misses the amenities here when she goes home to visit.

I kind of like having a few days alone every few months too, when she does visit home. :)

We usually end up with the whole family for a month during Christmas/New Years. Both of us are happy when that is over :)

• Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

So far all positive reply's

The wife's family are greatful for any help we can extend.

Living outside Philippines, my wife looks forward to going home, together we love to explore different Islands.

We try to visit family each year,and they make us very welcome,there are good reasons for having family around as stated, however one must not become a free ATM, or the well will soon run dry!

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
My wife is from Zamboanga City. The place is going to crap and I won't go there unless absolutely necessary anymore after visiting/working there the last 13 years (wow has it been that long already??).

How true is it, that part of Mindanao is unsafe for foriegner's, especially as stated, you worked and visited 13 years?

My friends family have given my wife and I an open invite to stay with them....JB

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife is from Zamboanga City. The place is going to crap and I won't go there unless absolutely necessary anymore after visiting/working there the last 13 years (wow has it been that long already??).

How true is it, that part of Mindanao is unsafe for foriegner's, especially as stated, you worked and visited 13 years?

My friends family have given my wife and I an open invite to stay with them....JB

It has been getting progressively worse since the seige in Sept 2013. People with money have been moving away since then. I was last there in August and my pinoy friends there had nothing but bad news. Daily random shootings, weekly kidnappings, people being muscled out of their property. And now that the US Military is no longer there, I expect that it to continue to slide downhill. There has been a news black out on all of this. Now this latest bombing http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/21221-car-bomb-goes-off-in-southern-philippines-al-qaeda-linked-militants/

Also, ISIS has started a presence in recruitment for their cause http://internationalterrorismstudyproject.com/2014/10/10/isis-supporters-on-the-move-in-the-philippines/

I would only go there if it was an absolute necessity (like a funeral) and even then I would not overnight there (fly in on the first flight arrives at 0700 and leave on the last flight 1700).

It really is a shame as prior to 2013 (2007-2012) things were improving, businesses expanding, high economic growth. Unless the RP Military steps in and fills the gap that the US Military left it will become what it was prior to 9/11. 

Edited by jon1
  • Like 1