The Backyard Or Two Islands Away

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The benefits for living close to her place are many. She will have a life time of contacts/batch mates for everything that may come up  /examples/ 
   Good points  :thumbsup:

But I would prefer to be some away with car, so we can GO there easy when needed    =Get the advantages but not risk the disadvantages  :)    

We are considering moving but only about a 30 minute bus ride away.
Better at such DISTANCE, but WITHOUT busline so WE can go to THEM when we want to, but it's hard for them to come to us, when I don't want to   :mocking:  
No fast food. No doctor
If you skip fast food, it's better chance you DON'T NEED doctor   :)  

My wife is from Zamboanga City. The place is going to crap and I won't go there unless absolutely necessary anymore after visiting/working there the last 13 years (wow has it been that long already??).

How true is it, that part of Mindanao is unsafe for foriegner's, especially as stated, you worked and visited 13 years?

My friends family have given my wife and I an open invite to stay with them....JB

It depend much of WHERE in Mindanao.    (E g besides SouthEAST (=Davao and east) I don't want to be in the south half.)

Some are safe NOW, but big risk the problem can SPREAD, so not fun if settle in a place which is safe NOW, but isn't 10-20 tears from now...

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I am wondering about the situation in Mindanao also. Bohol is only a short distance away and does anyone know how effective the Philippine military is going to be in preventing the spread of terrorism nation-wide?
Not good at some places at some other islands,

but Bohol is claimed to be "guerilla free".

If that is good or not concerning NPA is disputable    :)    In some places they do the "police work" much BETTER than the police do... 

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I am inclined to think that everyday foreigners are not in much danger from the NPA. 

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I could never live with her family out in the province, unless they got rid of their wall of speakers (they won't, so I won't).  But here, a few kilometers from the city, uncle is rebuilding his house.  My wife and I have discussed adding a room to it for us.  One hollow block room is pretty cheap!  Super cheap, and a nice family - but they always have money problems...   No perfect set up anywhere  :tiphat:

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well i am going to try to live with the father in law and Ems brother,

The house is being built with our money and we are having the full first floor to ourselves, but the ground floor will be shared for cooking and spending time together,

Will it work who knows, but i shall give it a go for Ems sake, we are fortunate that what we are spending will not effect our saving, 

I am still hoping to buy a lot and build somewhere where i want to live, still have not found that spot yet,

The rest of the family have come to ask for this and that and the answer they are getting back is No if i think its not needed,

So far so good, but it could change, but i am ready for that

The really good thing about your plan is that it is Ems who will decide.

Ems will have a big part of the master plan, she has ruled out some places that i thought i would like to be, but its made me realize you dont have to travel by plane to find the perfect spot, usually its just around the corner

stevewool
Posted
Posted

So far a very good response from many people, its not as bad as some people make out about living with the family, yes you have to be careful, but hey i get that here in England , and saying NO does not mean you dont love them any less,

Like i have said i am happy so far with the plans that we have made and stuck too with out the silly add ons by some members of the family, but again a big No and all seems well again