Visitors Arriving Earlier Than Agreed !!!

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Have you ever heared of this anywhere in South East Asia - Asians arriving EARLIER than the invitation told? :)

I had never heared of if myself, but in a documentary serie about Swedes, who have emigrated to different countries, some did that in INDONESIA.    (The Swedes had invited a bunch of all Indonesians, who they knew a bit as friends after living there 9 months, but never been invited home to any of them. Some arrived when they were still PREPARING the food and hadn't changed clothes yet.   Btw they had written at the invitation ALL conversation will be in Indonesian  (!)  although the Swedish man knew very litle, while one of the kids could speak good allready.)

Or perhaps the early arriving depended of they knew they will get food?   :)

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Food... 

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Food... 

Yes. And after the food is gone they will also leave early.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Foreigners have a reputation for not preparing enough food. Maybe that's the reason for early arrival.

In the Philippines, we specified whether the party is Pilipino time or American time. There is a big difference. For American time, being half an hour late is okay. Pilipino time means it's okay to be two or three hours late.

In Japan, the protocol requires arriving within plus or minus 15 minutes of the time stated with the invitation. Otherwise, you have to apologies for being early or late. Sometimes the guests arrive early and they wait around the corner for the correct time.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I worked for a British family business in Hong Kong. A very large family business, currently being run by the sixth generation of the family. From time to time, at least annually, the family would invite staff members to a cocktail party at the Taipan's house on the Peak. We staff members, of sundry nationalities, referred to this as "the Servant's Ball". One was expected to arrive, with one's wife, if any, in the 15 minutes after the first of the two times stated on the invitation so  "7.30 for 8" meant "between 7.30 and 7.45".

On these occasions, the General Manager, Manila, was amongst the guests. He invariably arrived five minutes after everyone else. This was, of course, his joke.     

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Very much early. At our Debut last year, we had 6 come for breakfast, 15 for lunch and then more than 100 for dinner at 8 PM. Some took food home and kept our containers. Five stayed overnight and many came all though out the next day until the food was all gone. It was similar at our birthday parties. This shy polite society changes when it comes to free food. All manners go out the window. 

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Nice topic, we just returned from a trip to Dumaguete. During the visit happened to be talking to a well off couple filipna brit whom just built a spectacular house in Valencia.

He commented that the high society guests whom attended the roof ceremony  behaved like pigs....Was shocking, food was eaten like animals, many brought Robinson empty shopping bags and stuffed them with food to take home. 

What is with such people, driving new cars, well off, why on earth do they resort to such behavior? 

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Nice topic, we just returned from a trip to Dumaguete. During the visit happened to be talking to a well off couple filipna brit whom just built a spectacular house in Valencia.

He commented that the high society guests whom attended the roof ceremony  behaved like pigs....Was shocking, food was eaten like animals, many brought Robinson empty shopping bags and stuffed them with food to take home. 

What is with such people, driving new cars, well off, why on earth do they resort to such behavior?

The more they can get for free means the more they have for things like shiney new cars! Just think! "I don't have to buy groceries for 2 weeks! What shiney thing can i get to show how great i am? "

• Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted

I had the same thing happen at my wedding. When the beer ran out, everyone left with a bag of food from the line. My german friend was laughing at how much everyone took.

Once it was cleared out to 12 of my closest friends, I turned the beer light back on. It was a great party.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Btw they had written at the invitation ALL conversation will be in Indonesian 

Thomas, Why would a Swede, Invite people to his house and say All conversation will be in Indonesian? OK I am all for learning a little of a Host Language but in your own House? surely this is a little odd to me. No wonder people take advantage. These people think the Party Host is there for the Pickings Now what about any Foreigners attending? Where would they Fit into this rather bizarre situation?

JP :tiphat:  :unsure: