Have I Just Been Foolish?

jpbago
Posted
Posted
you 'feel the water' before

In this case of hydrocele, I don't think that Meth could or would "feel the water."

By Mayo Clinic Staff

A hydrocele (HI-droe-seel) is a fluid-filled sac surrounding a testicle that causes swelling in the scrotum. Hydrocele is common in newborns and usually disappears without treatment during the first year of life. Older boys and adult men can develop a hydrocele due to inflammation or injury within the scrotum.

A hydrocele usually isn't painful or harmful and might not need any treatment. However, if you have scrotal swelling, see your doctor to rule out other causes.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

But I cannot afford to do this on a "regular basis".

Mr Meths, they say that Charity, begins at Home, and Home, is where the heart is. "K" is there and doing more that her fair share (Well it sounds that way) So you have added to the Share of care that is required.

As to making a mistake on this, only time will tell. Should you start and get the OH! buts! then is the time to be saying "Once Bitten" For me  :tiphat: to you on this one, now just sit back and hope all goes well but keep the guard up  :thumbsup:

JP.

Morning all. :morning1:

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Well the most recent development is that my brother in law has told his wife, who has told me, that he will follow the course of antibiotics and see if that does the job, first, before deciding on whether an operation is necessary. Which suggests that he is being careful and not wasteful.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Get them on an insurance plan, either Philhealth or Blue Cross.

They have Philhealth. But the co-pay is large.

Is this type of health cover available for expats as well?  what is the cost if available please?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

you 'feel the water' before

In this case of hydrocele, I don't think that Meth could or would "feel the water."

By Mayo Clinic Staff

A hydrocele (HI-droe-seel) is a fluid-filled sac surrounding a testicle that causes swelling in the scrotum. Hydrocele is common in newborns and usually disappears without treatment during the first year of life. Older boys and adult men can develop a hydrocele due to inflammation or injury within the scrotum.

A hydrocele usually isn't painful or harmful and might not need any treatment. However, if you have scrotal swelling, see your doctor to rule out other causes.

Yes I asked Mr. Google after making the post but I did not mean it literally, dont want 'Meth' thinking we are casting any aspertions.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

You're a good man I'm sure you made the right decision. This is something that we all will be forced to consider at some point. In the future you and K may get more requests when or if that happens you and K will deal with it one way or the other.

The good friend and coworker of my wife lives north of us here in the States. Her Dad passed recently of kidney failure. Long story short she chose to fly over and spend some time with him before he passed. They decided not to have him put on dialysis because of the cost. Hard choices and life is not always kind or fair. Living in the West we take many things for granted. 

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well the most recent development is that my brother in law has told his wife, who has told me, that he will follow the course of antibiotics and see if that does the job, first, before deciding on whether an operation is necessary. Which suggests that he is being careful and not wasteful.

Perhaps you could ask them to keep it quiet as to who paid and that may stop any future problems of others in need.

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Extremely good point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

K's eldest brother runs the family farm, he is a nice chap, very quiet, and I have no issues with him, but I tend to talk more to his wife, whose English is fluent, and to their very bright nine year old daughter, who got the collected works or Roald Dahl from me for Christmas.

They shot off to Ozamiz for a couple of days and it turned out that they were in the ER at the local public hospital, as he has a hydrocele. K said "Tatay's balls are swollen" but I forgot that the family nickname for him is "Tatay" and thought she was speaking of her father. Having straightened that out I noticed that K was saying she ought to call and see how he was, but she did not seem to be in a rush to do so, so I asked "Tatay'"s wife how he was, and was told "OK".

I then Googled "hydrocele" and sent her the links I found, including the UK NHS Direct one as it was far better than the Wiki page. I asked if he needed an operation, and was told yes, and they had booked one for September 16th - waiting list for public hospital over six months.. So I asked if she had checked the cost for private treatment (it's normally an "out patient" operation) and was told P 25K. I was NOT asked to help.

I talked to K and she was feeling guilty, because she had had that much money, but had spent it on building materials for repairs to her parents house - a project that she and Tatay are undertaking between them - just before Tatay was ill, and now she could not help.

So I stepped into the breach and sent her the money. 

Have I just opened the flood gates? Am I about to be submerged in demands for cash? Or have I done the right thing?

I am not going read the rest of the posts. Hydrocele is usually present since birth and usually means an undecended testicle or partially decended. The only way that would become urgent or even need an operation as an adult would be if there was a strangulating hernia....surgery would be urgent, within 24 hours maximum.

You gave the money. You live with it.

I will read the thread now.

Edited by chris49

chris49
Posted
Posted

25k pesos is not much.

Typical Filipino exaggeration...my money say he won't do the surgery.

Yep, I have a medical background.

Bottom line, you made a judgement, you should be ok with that. It's not so bad.

Don't do it again. Or post here first.