Philippine Retirement Destination

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I know a guy here, a writer in fact, who would love to do the blog for JJ. His name is Bob and you can pay him in Canadian dollars so right away, you get a 25% discount. Likely the city that he would pick would be Davao.

Unfortunately I can't think of a way to generate revenues by starting a blog. No revenues means zero or very limited expenses.

My landlord in Cuenca, Ecuador is a retired American from Seattle, Washington. He writes an extensive blog and makes money through real estate sales and rentals. The unit we are renting is one of five apartments he owns. The blog is one way to establish trust with potential buyers and renters.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Payment up front and no time limits only!     At present, I have 7 novels on the go, 22 self-help books half done and a Google+ that has a whole 3 entries since I got here last year!

The difficulty is how to get the public to realize the information is valuable or entertaining, and that they should pay for it. Sorry. Even more difficult is to write the novels and non-fiction books.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I have yet to see a true retired community of expats.

I am in Florida at the moment where there are lots of gated retirement communities. My impression is these communities were created as a place where residents from the colder North can come to die. I am looking for small, vibrant retirement areas.

I have yet to see a true retired community of expats.

I am in Florida at the moment where there are lots of gated retirement communities. My impression is these communities were created as a place where residents from the colder North can come to die. I am looking for small, vibrant retirement areas.

• Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I think there would be more retirement communities in the Philippines "IF" you notice how big this little words is.  Better infrastructure, less corruption, less gape between the rich and poor, I mean there is no middle class in-the Philippines that I can see. But the number one reason I think more don't retire in the Philippines is because most people in the states think of it as dangerous. I cant tell you how many times I've heard only about the radicals in the southern part of the country. The perception is that they run the country. When you try to tell people how wrong they are, they can't wrap their brains around it. Maybe I'm wrong for saying it, but I feel safer in the Philippines than I do at home sometimes. We have had 156 Murders already this year, I'm talking shooting. 59 rapes. It's all out of control. My Parents won't watch the news anymore. They have bought extra door locks and Dad keeps two shot guns loaded and ready at all times. People just kick your door down, tie you up, rape your woman and sometimes men, then leave. Its happened three times already this year. Television is alive and well in the streets of America. Criminals learn, get ideas and act it all out. So for me the Philippines in retirement sounds really good. All those south American countries provide drugs to N. America. Drugs lords leave them along for the most part because they bring much needed cash to the economy of these countries, as well as their drug habits. Not to the Philippines doesn't have a drug problem, but our first graders are smoking pot before school these days. Our 4th graders are doing harder stuff and having S-x. We are a lost civilization of real life Zombies, which is why zombie shows are so popular here now. We stopped putting drive in our country, there is no one to keep our country driving on. 

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I to live in Florida now, love the weather the beach, fishing every now and again and the time after  Easter when the snow birds go home.  It is then you can drive on the roads, ride a bicycle or motorcycle more safely.  Golf goes down as do prices on many things, we live on about half of what it takes in  the mid-west but we also live simpler. 

JJ I do agree with the statement about gated communities, at least here they seem like gods waiting room.  Mr. Music from the numbers you state you must live near Chicago or some other no gun safe city.  With Florida's concealed carry laws not even 80 year old ladies are confronted as they probably are armed, me I have my old bat, don't trust myself with a gun and know I would miss the satisfying  crunch that a bone makes after so little effort. 

I spent a year in Mexico and a year in South America and felt safe in both places, but now Mexico is just not safe. and where I lived in SA has become a repressed country. Asia just keeps looking better and I am sure it is much safer than the last rime I went, in 1968-69. 

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Didn't it become any development of Talisay for retired, or is it future?

Even more difficult is to write the novels and non-fiction books.
Not realy. I have written some books*, just telling TRUE things happening around me in real life (sometimes SMALL adjustments, when it make it better to read).

*  ((Two approved by publisher so far.  I were adjusting one of two more almost done, but then I got an idea to a third new, so I "had to" write it when I had it in my head   :lol:    But books I only write, when it's warm here in Sweden and I sit outside, so my book writing are put on hold most time of the year. It's warmer in Phils, so it suit me better to write there  :)

I suppouse you have many true stories to tell from your life too.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Ecuador, Panama, Belize, Costa Rica, and Colombia seem to be the popular retirement destinations for couples from North America

Just for reference, my brother is a USA State department counselor officer and was stationed in Panama at one time. One of his jobs was maintaining relations with the American retirees (in other words cranky ole farts :) ). He told me once that the requirements that these folks were looking for was sun, cost of living and safety but most important is that it is close to the grand kids.

The Philippines has two (I think three but there is the perception of poor safety) of the four.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

A big reason why the Philippines and other areas in SEA are not attractive to US retiree's is that it is just too far to travel. Spending 16-24 hours to travel back and forth is too much for most seniors. Central and South America are more attractive since travel by air takes much less time. Making it easier to go back for weddings and other family social events.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
But the number one reason I think more don't retire in the Philippines is because most people in the states think of it as dangerous.

The suggested approach is to market a specific destination like Samar, Cebu, Baguio, etc. without mentioning Philippines. This way you don't spend advertising money to overcome an existing bad reputation. This would be similar to marketing Bali as a visitor destination without mentioning Indonesia in the advertising.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I spent a year in Mexico and a year in South America and felt safe in both places, but now Mexico is just not safe. and where I lived in SA has become a repressed country.

Friends from Mexico assure me there are many safe areas favored by North American, Japanese and European retirees. There are over one million international retirees by one estimate.  I felt the same way about Colombia during our visit to Cartagena and Santa Marta. At no time did my wife and I feel threatened.