Philippine Retirement Destination

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
A big reason why the Philippines and other areas in SEA are not attractive to US retiree's is that it is just too far to travel. Spending 16-24 hours to travel back and forth is too much for most seniors. Central and South America are more attractive since travel by air takes much less time. Making it easier to go back for weddings and other family social events.

You and others maybe right that the Philippines is too far. It won't be as popular as Mexico and other Latin America countries. The next boom area will be Cuba as soon as the diplomatic relations are normalized. 

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
You and others maybe right that the Philippines is too far. It won't be as popular as Mexico and other Latin America countries. The next boom area will be Cuba as soon as the diplomatic relations are normalized. 

JJ, Mexico and other spots in Latin America are becoming rather dangerous, and SEA may be ready to boom as many can afford 1 round trip a year and the drugs, kidnappings, and gratuitous violence increase in Mexico and Latin American.  

I don't see Cuba as being cheap for non locals as most pries will be set by government. 

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I spent a year in Mexico and a year in South America and felt safe in both places, but now Mexico is just not safe. and where I lived in SA has become a repressed country.

Friends from Mexico assure me there are many safe areas favored by North American, Japanese and European retirees. There are over one million international retirees by one estimate.  I felt the same way about Colombia during our visit to Cartagena and Santa Marta. At no time did my wife and I feel threatened. 

Lake Chapala, Mexico is a popular retirement area for North Americans and others. Some drive to it from USA. I spent a month there.

http://www.accesslakechapala.com/guide/living-costs/

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Lake Chapala, Mexico is a popular retirement area for North Americans and others. Some drive to it from USA. I spent a month there.   http://www.accesslak...e/living-costs/

Thanks for the information. I wasn't sure about the areas in Mexico that international retirees favor. 

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I don't see Cuba as being cheap for non locals as most pries will be set by government.

As a Canadian couple, we have been able to visit Cuba more than a dozen times.  Things may be changing, but it was excellent value for the money.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I spent a year in Mexico and a year in South America and felt safe in both places, but now Mexico is just not safe. and where I lived in SA has become a repressed country.

Friends from Mexico assure me there are many safe areas favored by North American, Japanese and European retirees. There are over one million international retirees by one estimate.  I felt the same way about Colombia during our visit to Cartagena and Santa Marta. At no time did my wife and I feel threatened. 

Just saw an article of the 50 most violent cities in the world by murders per capita. All but 8 are in Latin America. 20 of the 50 are Mexico and Columbia.

http://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/crime/50-most-violent-cities-in-the-world/ss-AA8M1Mk?ocid=mailsignoutmd#image=1

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
As a Canadian couple, we have been able to visit Cuba more than a dozen times.  Things may be changing, but it was excellent value for the money.

Cuba is still expensive for Americans because you are required to travel with an organized tour. The hotels are luxuriou in the $300 to $500 per night category. Canadians don't have the same restrictions.

Just saw an article of the 50 most violent cities in the world by murders per capita. All but 8 are in Latin America. 20 of the 50 are Mexico and Columbia.

Thanks for the information.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Cuba is still expensive for Americans because you are required to travel with an organized tour. The hotels are luxuriou in the $300 to $500 per night category. Canadians don't have the same restrictions.

Many Americans go to Cuba via Canada or Mexico. Cuba does not stamp their passports. I have been to Cuba 26 times since 1994 when Russia abandoned the country with only 1 trip staying at a hotel. Cuba has many paladares (B & Bs) from $10 to $40 or you can rent the entire house.

Many Cubans do not want Americans to go there for fear they may lay claim on their former properties. The older ones are content with their lives under the current system, the life expectancy is 78, 11 more years than Filipinos even with getting free cigarettes and cigars monthly in their rations. Cubans eat rice too but always with beans, garlic, peppers, and onions. Many get money sent to them from relatives living or working abroad as doctors, dentists, and military. They get paid to go to college. Laws are enforced strictly. It is very difficult to live there or to stay long term. They want you in and out in 2 weeks leaving your money behind.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I did read an article saying Japanese think of using the Philippines for retireing.

Many Cubans do not want Americans to go there for fear they may lay claim on their former properties. The older ones are content with their lives under the current system, the life expectancy is 78, 11 more years than Filipinos even with getting free cigarettes and cigars monthly in their rations.
  That make it's SURE I don't want to live in Cuba, because I realy hate smoke. I have even forbidden smoking within SIGHT from my house, because it's a "stupidity free zone"  :)   and smoking is realy stupid... :bash:
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Leaving for Cuenca, Ecuador tomorrow. Hope to do the blog unless I get lazy. Hope to do a similar blog for the Philippines possibly on Dumaguete. My understanding from a Manila contact is there are some 2,000 Germans living in and around Dumaguete. Hard to tell if the numbers are accurate.

• Like 1