Strange But True...

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Can anybody explain why filipinas can swim for hours, yet as soon as it rain's they rush to cover their heads.This is done in the belief that they might get a cold or fever, if their heads get wet!

Anyone noticed other strange habit's which are hard to believe. :morning1:  Just a thought.

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Can anybody explain why filipinas can swim for hours, yet as soon as it rain's they rush to cover their heads.This is done in the belief that they might get a cold or fever, if their heads get wet!

Anyone noticed other strange habit's which are hard to believe. :morning1:  Just a thought.

John, don't even try. After over 20 years of marriage, 30 years in the military getting rained on. Working out and sitting with a wet sweaty head till dry. Growing up in Southern California, sitting on a surf board (with wet hair), you get the picture. No amount of logic has worked. Make life easier on yourself, if it even looks like it might rain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,next week, just wear a ball cap.

Yeah it doesn't make sense. It is the same everywhere but especially so outside of typical western countries. Most people don't understand that you don't get a cold from being cold or from being wet. A cold is a virus which is typically transmitted by touch, it's even very rare you could get an airborne transmission. (To the best of my knowledge and research) And while I don't believe in wearing masks to prevent it I can see at least some logic there. But as far as being cold and wet causing colds, I don't buy it medically speaking. (I am trained and licensed in the medical field as a paramedic and have discussed this with many doctors.)

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well my friends all this sure beats getting S....t on from Great heights, which is always one of my Worries.  :hystery:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Well my friends all this sure beats getting S....t on from Great heights, which is always one of my Worries.  :hystery:

JP :tiphat:

:agree: ......And I thought that it only happened to me Jack !

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

There's reversible jackets....Someone needs to invent a reversible umbrella-one for rain-one for sun :541:

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
But as far as being cold and wet causing colds, I don't buy it medically speaking. (I am trained and licensed in the medical field as a paramedic and have discussed this with many doctors.)

I thought that some viruses were airborne and spread by sneezing, as for wet and cold...germs don't care for cold..but it does lower your resistance thus may help in becoming ill, if you run inside from being soaked in 15 degree weather and kiss everyone and drink hot chocolate from an unwashed cup......you may catch the flu. 

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Talk of strange habits. I will wear a T shirt over a day or 2 around home. If it's a decent material and I haven't sweated heavily. Or shorts, if I folded them, I would probably wear over a few days, Maybe break out a fresh pair to go shopping or the bank, Some of my bike clothes I will wear twice if I hang them out in the hot sun to dry them, it's no big deal.

The Filipina, my wife, will grab every item, even if it's only worn for a few minutes and put it for washing...wtf? Some these fabrics don't stand repeated washings.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

But as far as being cold and wet causing colds, I don't buy it medically speaking. (I am trained and licensed in the medical field as a paramedic and have discussed this with many doctors.)

I thought that some viruses were airborne and spread by sneezing, as for wet and cold...germs don't care for cold..but it does lower your resistance thus may help in becoming ill, if you run inside from being soaked in 15 degree weather and kiss everyone and drink hot chocolate from an unwashed cup......you may catch the flu. 

I'm a nurse Gerald. I do have a bit of asthma and cold rainy weather can bring it on. But viruses as I know are transmitted by people in close proximity. If you wife or kid has a runny nose, fever, you will get it to or vice versa, Every person reacts differently whether it be mild or severe, but if it's around the house you will get it.

I think you can get a runny nose being exposed to wet and cold but that's more of a body reaction eg constricted blood vessels which then dilate back  when you get warmed up. Or possibly allergy, which is not a virus. eg getting a runny nose after swimming is quite normal.

• Like 2