Visa Plan Of Action?

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

Just making some notes about visa requirements and have come up with the below. Would be grateful if someone could take a look and point out any flaws or make suggestions. Just to be clear I'm only intending to stay for a year or two, not close to retirement and doubt I'd be getting married but you never know I guess. Hope it makes some sense and thanks for looking:

Option 1 (Preferred)

• Book return leg of Phil flight as far into the future as possible (up to a year I believe online) as maybe able to use for return to UK. One-way ticket and "throw-away" doesn't appear to be working out cheaper.
  • Upgrade Visa to 59 days on arrival at immigration office at airport and before getting passport stamped. If asked about date of return flight (longer than 59 days) say that you intend to apply for LSVV (Long-Stay Visitors Visa - 6 months) after 59 days
  • If asked about initial hotel stay being for only 1 month say that you'll be moving on from there but not sure where to
  • Apply for LSVV (Long-Stay Visitors Visa - 6 months) and ACR I-card 7 days before 59 day visa runs out at participating (?) BI office. May also need ARP (Alien Registration Program) registration (seem to believe I've read it's becoming mandatory in September, 2015 and SSRN number needed for ECC?) - cost around 11,500 P
  • 7 days before above runs out, apply for new LSVV etc. (ARP, ACR -I card [valid for 1 year only I believe])
  • If still there after 3 years, need to complete a visa run (leave country for 1 day and start all over again with above). Also need Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) for this (may need SSRN [ARP] in order to get this?)

Option 2

• Book return leg of Phil flight to fall within initial visa waiver period (30 days) or if cheaper, purchase "throw away" ticket to fall within this period too, although it doesn't appear to be after initial investigations
  • Upgrade Visa to 59 days on arrival at immigration office at airport and before getting passport stamped. If asked about date of return flight falling within 30 days (see above) then say you intend to change it to a later date with airline
  • If asked about initial hotel stay being for only 1 month say that you'll be moving on from there but not sure where to
  • Apply for LSVV (Long-Stay Visitors Visa - 6 months) and ACR I-card 7 days before 59 day visa runs out at participating (?) BI office. May also need ARP (Alien Registration Program) registration (seem to believe I've read it's becoming mandatory in September, 2015 and SSRN number needed for ECC?) - cost around 11,500 P
  • 7 days before above runs out, apply for new LSVV etc. (ARP, ACR -I card [valid for 1 year only I believe])
  • If still there after 3 years, need to complete a visa run (leave country for 1 day and start all over again with above). Also need Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) for this (may need SSRN [ARP] in order to get this?)

On a side note, although most of us get 30 days for free on arrival and can get an extension up to 59 days either at the airport or at a BI office, has anyone applied for a 59 day visa before leaving their native land out of interest which I believe you can do?

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Option 2 seems to be best.

Just book your exit flight out of the Philippines within 30 days of your arrival and make it to Hong Kong. You don't have to use it but you have to show it.

Once you arrive, decide where you want to stay until you find a place to rent. Before your free visa expires get a 6 month extension if you plan to stay.

Once you find where you want to stay, shop around for a condo for rent. Be prepared to pay 2 months rent and 1 month deposit.  The real estate agent can also show you some apartments or even houses in nice subdivisions. 

Then, it's up to you to decide where you want to stay and for how long.

Just a word of caution if as if you didn't know already. Be careful in choosing a g/f and future wife. You would not be the first foreigner who gets ripped off. Long engagement verses a rush to the alter would be good advice.

• Like 1

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

okay, thanks gratefuled. I'll bear it in mind on the GF front. I guess things could rapidly turn into a nightmare if you let your d*@% do too much of the thinking lol.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Nice summary!  I never understood it all that well before I left.  I used a one way and throw away, but that option depends on the prices you can find.  Sometimes a one way is very expensive and you might find a cheaper RT that can serve the same purpose.

A few notes below:

Hi all,

Just making some notes about visa requirements and have come up with the below. Would be grateful if someone could take a look and point out any flaws or make suggestions. Just to be clear I'm only intending to stay for a year or two, not close to retirement and doubt I'd be getting married but you never know I guess. Hope it makes some sense and thanks for looking:

Option 1 (Preferred)

• Book return leg of Phil flight as far into the future as possible (up to a year I believe online) as maybe able to use for return to UK. One-way ticket and "throw-away" doesn't appear to be working out cheaper.
  • Upgrade Visa to 59 days on arrival at immigration office at airport and before getting passport stamped. If asked about date of return flight (longer than 59 days) say that you intend to apply for LSVV (Long-Stay Visitors Visa - 6 months) after 59 days

I have never extended at the airport but many do.  If you will not be staying near a BI office, best to do it at the airport.  Be aware that you will probably be dead tired so doing it later at a BI office is simple too, especially if you are near an uncrowded one.

ARP, if needed, is no issue, and there is no cost.  I think your cost estimate is a bit high.  My most expensive 6 month extension was my last one one, p9771, with ACR card renewal.  You can see my costs here:  http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/17940-visa-costs/page-2

You only need a new ACR card once a year, so you might get one every other 6 month renewal.  Your mileage will vary by BI office!

Be aware that after you are here 24 months, you can only extend up to 36 months at the main BI office in Intramuros, Manila.  I wish I would have done a visa run rather than the last two trips to Manila, as they are a pain in the A**.  Keep your eyes open for a cheap visa run ticket before 24 months if you want to avoid Manila.

Option 2

• Book return leg of Phil flight to fall within initial visa waiver period (30 days) or if cheaper, purchase "throw away" ticket to fall within this period too, although it doesn't appear to be after initial investigations
  • Upgrade Visa to 59 days on arrival at immigration office at airport and before getting passport stamped. If asked about date of return flight falling within 30 days (see above) then say you intend to change it to a later date with airline

On a side note, although most of us get 30 days for free on arrival and can get an extension up to 59 days either at the airport or at a BI office, has anyone applied for a 59 day visa before leaving their native land out of interest which I believe you can do?

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

Thanks OnMyWay. Very helpful. I'll add the info to my notes.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Book return leg of Phil flight to fall within initial visa waiver period (30 days) or if cheaper, purchase "throw away" ticket to fall within this period too, although it doesn't appear to be after initial investigations

The onward ticket does not need to be within the 30 days. A throw away can be to anywhere and often you can get cheap flights to nearby countries. Airasia have lots of promo fares. 

post-1-0-18332400-1430361977_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Be aware that after you are here 24 months, you can only extend up to 36 months at the main BI office in Intramuros, Manila.

In Dumaguete they now tell me they will continue to renew my tourist visa until the time I have been here 3 years and there is no 24 month requirement.  Each BI office seems to interpret their rules differently.

I have been here many years using the tourist visa route.  Many of us do that.  If you live close to a BI office you just go in every 2 months, pay 2830 and go about your life.  Once a year they add 300 for an annual fee and 2000 for an ACR card renewal.  When you do a visa run you come back to varying visa fees for the first 6 months and then back to 2830 every 2 months.  Simple.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
In Dumaguete they now tell me they will continue to renew my tourist visa until the time I have been here 3 years and there is no 24 month requirement.  Each BI office seems to interpret their rules differently.

That is good news.  I forgot to ask in Olongapo before my last trip to Manila.   :bash:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah, they changed it a year or so ago - now you can do all your extensions at your local office.  No need for Manila for the 36 months.

Not to complicate the issue.... but there is a 6 month extension available, but only at certain offices.  Not sure which ones, but not mine (Iloilo).

And yes, your exit ticket does not need to be within the 30 days.   The easiest way to think about it is that the exit ticket is required by the airline at your country of origin - they know nothing about your immigration status or length of stay - just that you can exit. 

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Nice plan.

I would head out of Metro Manila within 7 days. I am not going to say where, because you are the type of guy to research that.

Girls are ok. If she is going to take you to her family home and intro you there, you are ok to go along with that, Gauge to spend the same amount there as you would on your normal budget.

Try to get a hotel waking distance to everywhere eg  Malate, Ermita...taxis and tricycles can be a hassle, wastes time and money.

This one:if SHE,  wants to take you to her province, would consider that, it's like a guided tour. Go with that if it feels right. It gets you out of Manila....you can move from there, study the area first.