Building Another House

canadamale
Posted
Posted

When i had my house built in canada i used Styrofoam forms that are filled with concrete, I wonder if they have such a thing here???  Very cost efficient. ( in canada). Some names,  smart bloc, rediform. Zego Building Systems in AU uses this system

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've been told north of Cebu (staying on Cebu island) is relatively protected!

The eye of the supertyphoon passed directly over the northern tip of Cebu.

There is a company called Solidcon that constructs walls which are 3 inches of concrete, 3 inches of foam insulation and then another 3 inches of concrete.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

When i had my house built in canada i used Styrofoam forms that are filled with concrete, I wonder if they have such a thing here???  Very cost efficient. ( in canada). Some names,  smart bloc, rediform. Zego Building Systems in AU uses this system

Here, depending on who you get to build anything on your property like a house, wall, or addition, they use hollow block. Some are very cheaply made and crumble easily. You get what you pay for. My home was already built with the exception of additions and expansions which I monitored carefully. 

A good thing to remember is a quote I overheard here. " CHEAP IS NOT GOOD AND GOOD IS NOT CHEAP"

Good Luck, MABUHAY

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Like anything in life plan plan and then Plan again, now if you can be there to see the build take place its going to be better, its great all the good comments that are coming this way to help us get the best for for we are trying to achieve

• Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

There are 2 different grades of hollow blocks in canada also. One s for concrete walls eg. Basement load bearing walls and one is for like retaining  walls in a garden. I wonder if that s the same here ? I had a room added onto the gfs fathers house and the contractor we hired seemed to do a great job. The same contractor is now building another room in which the family plans to run a small buisness.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There is a company called Solidcon that constructs walls which are 3 inches of concrete, 3 inches of foam insulation and then another 3 inches of concrete.

That's one of the nice things about Davao... When everybody else is getting either the typhoon - or heavy rain from one that missed them - we usually end up with a nice sunny day! Ah, life here is so rough!!!

:D

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I rented a house when I first got over here.  The nipa roof was in horrid shape.  I had the whole thing replaced for next to nothing (I forget the exact amount because we added a cr at the same time).  The nipa roof survived typhoon Yolanda but not the neighborhood cat.  In less than one year we had half a dozen buckets out to catch rain water, and a couple places outside the house, on the roof overhang, we had multiple 18 inch holes. 

without a cat... you are supposed to get a few years out of a nipa roof.  I would go for tin.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

We are more than halfway through building a house, have engineer as thought be pretty much trouble free.

My advice, find your lot, go home and return once your wife has finished with the construction.

RBM. you have reported that before and  I am not going to refer to your project.

To Steve: leaving your wife in charge of any construction project while you are not here is not a good idea. It's not here about abusing the money, it's about interpretation or misinterpretation or a plan when you are not here.

Steve again: thatched roof is something I will be putting on when I extend the house, but not on the main house, like over on outdoor eating area combined with a place to park the car, something I have see  before.

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,

i must apologise, my directional sense is not very good, happened to be looking at a map today and realised when I said North it should of been SOUTH  of Cebu City.  Does the change the thing about not being in a typhoon zone??  If its still in a typhoon zone then where in the Philippines is it safe from Typhoons??

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Clearly a quality metal roof would withstand a storm unlike the thatch. Thatch would be cooler?
Metal roofs blow off too, if not connect it very hard.

Metal roofs are hot, but it's possible to make the house cold by proper issolation. And build it HIGH so the heat have space to go UP and OUT there.

I know of one, who has build a house clever enough - and rather cheap - in Thailand, not even need AC, only slow fans moving the hot air UP.

I've heard northern Bohol may be dangerous,
I have heared that too "in general" but NOT of any specific case.  E g one live in Trinidad (=NorthEast) with a few neighbours, and I haven't heared of any such danger.
Malaria carrying mosquitos during the day, Dengue carrying mosquitos at night. ( maybe vice versa).
Yes, vice versa.

Tiger mosquitos (=dengue) don't mind hot sun light,

while other mosquitos want to be active at night or in the shade.

There is really not a helluva lot to do outdoors so a lot of your time will be in your home.
WHAT??  There are A LOT to do outside   :)    (Beside doing things you can do inside as using the computer or read a book, e g sailing, canoeing, walk checking the nature or just get to know the Filipinos in the neighbourhood...)

But I want a big house anyway to be in during rain/typhons.  

is it near rebels and the second consideration is typhoons.
In some regions NPA rebels make it SAFER  :mocking:   doing the police work, which the police don't do proper...   SOME say NPA demand "rebel tax" from poor farmers too, BUT I don't know if that's true (in some regions) or if it's just propaganda from the government, because I haven't heared any bad about NPA from any POOR people...

Concerning typhons they are much more common in north, uncommon south of Cebu, but it has happened there too.

I think of building a "globe" house.  (See my avatar, but one storey less than that one.)  They have no separate roof, so no roof can blow off  :lol:     Perhaps with strong shutters covering the windows, so nothing can blow through them.   And I prefer a leeward side of mountain/forest, but that's hard to get and get a nice view, because the typhons are spinning so the wind can come from any side although the typhons themselves move from SouthEast/East.

• Like 1