Double Baptizimal Planning 5 Months Ahead

Larry45
Posted
Posted

One pig costs minimum 12k Larry so can't be 5k. 

On the momento, yes, just told it to Gina, she gave me the nod.

Larry, the other caveat on the 50k budget is my pension is above 60k, if they push it over, then we shut down the rest of Nov. I have used this strategy before.it quickly forces the idle ones to think about what they are going to eat. One bro in law has a remittance from his wife in Kuwait, and we rarely see a centavo from that.

OOPS, you did say the pig was a gift, however, if you are giving out the total, the cost you are quoting to others eg as advice, would be around 20k

Hey, spend as much as you want, Chris.  Just pointing out that it can be done for a whole lot less.  You seem to enjoy a big party and feeding the whole barangay, so more power to you.  

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mate, you were lucky but don't rub it in too much. I will enjoy it but not because of dropping a bundle on a single event. I will enjoy it because that's the way I am.

The thread, my original post. tells you that where we live, this kind of thing is mandatory. I'm going with that, and if you also note I'm factoring a few donations. In this area no one is going to give away a pig, We are farmers so unless you breed your own, you are not going to get one as a gift. You can buy piglets and raise them, that's what we are doing

Edited by chris49

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Chris,

My wife is also from northern luzon (mountains) and there are similar traditions. What you propose sounds fine. I expect where you live is similar in that relatives will show up to help with all the preparations. I know that at our wedding there were anywhere from 20-40 people working at any one time the three days leading up to the wedding to make preparations. It was a community event and many in the community helped. This wasn't a "kano pays" type of event. Everyone who attended felt obligated to share with us (bring rice) and give a gift (pesos). The gifts paid for about one third the cost of the wedding. My wifes family is a proud family and also paid for about one third of the cost and I took care of the rest.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Chris,

My wife is also from northern luzon (mountains) and there are similar traditions. What you propose sounds fine. I expect where you live is similar in that relatives will show up to help with all the preparations. I know that at our wedding there were anywhere from 20-40 people working at any one time the three days leading up to the wedding to make preparations. It was a community event and many in the community helped. This wasn't a "kano pays" type of event. Everyone who attended felt obligated to share with us (bring rice) and give a gift (pesos). The gifts paid for about one third the cost of the wedding. My wifes family is a proud family and also paid for about one third of the cost and I took care of the rest.

Where's that? Benguet, Trinidad, Cervantes?

I agree with 100% of what you said. We will get a lot of helpers, gifts are hard too say because it's a poor area, 50-100 pesos, might fly or might not.  Yes whole groups of people work through the night and there's sort of unwritten rule that the poorer relatives will take home some of the excess food. My mother in law is one of these kind of helpers, so yes plenty will be here.

As you may have noticed the Ilocano is less showy than pinoys from other regions. But they like to do things properly with a little overkill to be on the safe side. I constantly tell Gina, I'm the CEO, she's the manager. During my rehab from fx arm, I gave her both roles, she did her best, but she messed few little things up to now. Ilocana, like Gina, compare your wife also if it applies, they are very good in short term planning. But they can't think 2 days ahead, and they have difficulty to see the big picture.

Tomorrow is Pension day, I will get the control back.

"Kano picks up the tab" is not a convention except in the area of drinks. Somehow they always ask more. Eventually I had to cut them off completely so I keep nothing in the house and ask the sari sari to keep one beer cold for me. Or drink red wine which they don't like.

June is the first month x 5 until 8 Nov. I have another contingency plan to have my entire Nov SS available as back but don't tell even Gina right now.

Earthdome, others, I think I will report here monthly as a progress report. Thanks for the input.

ADDENDUM: We are baptizing 2 kids here and combining 2 birthdays, so we might get off cheap.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Now Chris don't be rash no need to tell Gina about that. Lets slow down and give this some thought. Gina is entitled to spend whatever she deems appropriate for this monumental occasion. Right? Oh, but any over runs will affect; up-4925UFH41K1NREL4.jpg

chris49
Posted
Posted

WE ARE NOT HAVING CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR OR MINIMISE.

Then there's New Years and you know I can't win-win always.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Gina yet again defies the laws of imagination. She can be a hard study sometimes but she manages to work her magic in

the strangest ways,

We now have 4 pigs instead of 3.!!!!

"Honey you remember last 7 weeks of your broken arm and you gave me the financial control"   "Yes I know that"

"Well I saved a little each week and bought another pig"

Well ok, I also recall a few days you cut our food, but you know what...."I love you, mahal na mahal kita mahal"

And thank you, come payday, my arm is already better, I'm taking the control again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Gina yet again defies the laws of imagination. She can be a hard study sometimes but she manages to work her magic in

the strangest ways,

We now have 4 pigs instead of 3.!!!!

"Honey you remember last 7 weeks of your broken arm and you gave me the financial control"   "Yes I know that"

"Well I saved a little each week and bought another pig"

Well ok, I also recall a few days you cut our food, but you know what...."I love you, mahal na mahal kita mahal"

And thank you, come payday, my arm is already better, I'm taking the control again.

17 JULY, TARGET DATE 7 NOVEMBER.

Raising 4 pigs is a pain in the arse, off our budget.  Each pig is consuming a bag of food over 30 days, so that's 1500 x 4=6000/month, that would go around 30k by November. The out clause is to sell 2 pigs mid October or earlier. The way they are growing they will go well over 100kg, so maybe 12000 x 2=24, 000 towards the cost of the Baptisimal.

There is a formula to mix in corn with the food, starting now in the 3rd month. Corn is there, but some problems getting it dried, so by theory might reduce the monthly food bill. Corn must be ground and boiled, so we can handle all that. One visit from a vet, mandatory, but useless injecting vitamins, but I played along.

This pig business is tough with the labor and the food and we did discuss that on another thread. The main benefit here is an enforced savings. I reckon we would invest 9-10k to sell a pig for 12,000, or if things went extremely well, maybe 13-14k on a 10k investment. Will let you know, because 1-2 pigs will be sold early.

We still need to raise the 50k. My estimation is we get away with 30k or under factoring in the pigs as free, they are not "free" but we are thinking like that. We need pulitan, food later on, so 40 chickens, easy here, just get them 45 days ahead. Some will be for our consumption and they are very much better than market chickens.

Gina does not fully get the big picture so good if we go over, on the other hand, we will probably need the extras. Of course the godmothers and godfathers will throw in some money, so a buffer on the day.

Told Gina to cut down the budget. So we did and can save 10k/month, July/Aug/Sept/....October, no because we will do some outdoor tiling, cementing, we may extend the roof over the patio area.  We are going over on the savings, but will face 7 November-4 December with low money if we also spend the November pension, her child allowance. No luxuries here at the moment, just one trip to Vigan in a month for the main shopping, I do 1-2 more viits to top up a few things, going down by bike. Mc Donalds is the reward.

Another issue. Caity will enroll in the local catholic school, that's in 2 years, maybe 3 years from now if she completes her kindergarten here. We checked up the requirements which do say "Church Marriage with recommendation from local Parish Priest". So given that we might repeat the marriage and Priest will get his donation.

So remember it's 2 kids. So we are going on with the All in One affair. Two Baptisimals, 2 birthdays, she says scaled down Christmas, but you know that one.

Happy with it? Yes and no. It's tough holding down the expenses, still 3 months to go. But it is a good exercise for Gina to demonstrate how to get things done if you really want them. Without going into debt or last minute panic.

Got a few Aussies coming up. A few local expats, 3 Brits, one American.

Open invite all forum members, anyone from the area or anyone who might be in the area. We can offer transportation in and out of Vigan, free food all day, 2 meals and drinks.

I have a new bike on installment with the dealer, my mate, but no one knows that one. My dividend for 4 months of cut backs.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Chris, it sounds like you have your hands full but you're having fun! Congrats!!!

:D

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

But it is a good exercise for Gina to demonstrate how to get things done if you really want them. Without going into debt or last minute panic.

Chris, on this I wish you well. In this House the last minuet Panic is usually the costly item, that no one saw coming. Last time it was an Additional Canopy and 30 extra Chairs & 5 tables. Try Finding those at a good Price, 4 hours before Kick off. :no:

JP  :tiphat: