How Much Could You Live On? One Month.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Talking about Reduced Budgets.

Remember.post-2148-0-06844900-1438153517_thumb.jp

boulevard post-2148-0-26736800-1438153570.jpg 40 to 60 peso

Local Sorry sorry sat on a bench post-2148-0-58363200-1438153686_thumb.jp 20 peso

Took time but I got it right.

JP :thumbsup:  :tiphat:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

WOW thats 22 bottles and still have 10 peso left for 5 fish balls from a street food vender or 4 fish balls and a fag  out of the $10, life could be one big party :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I have actually gained a few pounds here, but then again I am no longer forced to exercise 1-2 hours a day, or carry heavy loads over long distances.

But as to how much (or how little) I could live on? A man can survive and exist on surprising little. But I did not move to the PI to lower my standard of living. If I moved here and had to scrimp or watch every centavo, I would have stayed in my home country (where there is more of a safety net in case thing go badly) gotten another job (or two) to maintain my standard of living until such a time I could retire and move here in comfort.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

A man can survive and exist on surprising little.

Yup So very right it is those things we Live with that cause all the problems.  :thumbsup:

:)  But don't we just Love them all the same. :-kiss:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

All of the above noted guys.

We all like the good life me included. I have lived it for sure. Currently will pick my spots, but given an opening will go upmarket. Not much available here though.

I did say run a one month experiment on yourself. And I extrapolated to make it 4 months a year if it was a successful way to save some dollars. Every dollar converted to pesos, even with the best intentions is getting spent. So I was thinking of how to save some.

Most of you did not answer. Living rent free, and catering only to yourself, how much could you get it down to over a 30 day month?

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Mogo 51. The Remy Martin was one of the finest brandies I have had in some time, but unlikely to be repeated. How to go along without drinks is another thing. I went through periods of having 2 Pilsens/day with snacks and enjoyed every drop. Somehow got out of the habit and can't say I miss it. If it's not icy cold it's not worth having and the sari sari despite my request had been a bit inconsistent keeping it in the top freezer. If I keep it at home, it's not always comfortable keeping it away from family members. Mother in Law will invariably approach me saying so and so would like to have one bottle. So I stopped that.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So the easiest way to save money is to have no social life.

Well a restricted & controlled one one at least. :rolleyes:

JP :thumbsup:

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Well a restricted & controlled one one at least. :rolleyes:

JP :thumbsup:

You two say that really?

• Like 2

Crocodile
Posted
Posted

Most of you did not answer

I was not going to respond as the topic of how much can I live on has been done to death but I do have one point to add.

Stay away from other foreigners who have money.  If my gf and I go for a walk it costs nothing.  If we go for a walk and meet friends who are not on a tight budget there is always pressure to go for drinks, snacks, meals etc and doing that every day kills any budget.  Today we were invited to join friends at a pool party.  We go to that pool all the time for an entrance fee of 40 pesos each but when we go with friends we are expected to chip in for the 'cottage' and food and beer and the cost goes from 80 pesos to 500 pesos in a heart beat.

I would really agree with this - it is easy to go from very cheap to no-so-cheap in a heartbeat.

Eating/drinking at a local bar/restaurant can take only a few hundred peso, but loosen the purse strings at a more western restaurant and the bill can multiply very quickly.

I really don't think it is alot different to living anywhere else - if you stay at home, buy your groceries/drinks from your local supermarket then the days will be reasonably cheap.  If you go out for every meal, then the numbers (peso) will start to add up very quickly.

I think if you start with a budget, monitor every peso you spend for a month, analyse it and see where you spend the money, you will soon realise where you can save and where are the money pits.

Good luck!

• Like 5