How Much Could You Live On? One Month.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

So, if some of you know about Samar or live there, please tell me what you think about it. Thanks. 

If you search Catbalgan in these forums you will find a lot of posts by member Bruce.  He spends a lot of time there and posts some good information.  You could possibly send him a private message to ask him about the area.  Here is one of his posts:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/20716-retarded-girl-update-novermber-2014/?p=135235

Yes, Bruce tell much more details, specialy about "his" city.

Short sumary about Samar: 

It's the porests of the biger islands.

Much coconuts   :)

NPA more or less control big part. Many find them doing a much better POLICE work than the police do.

If you read all Bruce's posts, you will find once he was followed be a shady man, which scared him. But he has a very good reputation there and a significant hat easy to recognice, so after he told he got scared to /someone/ , it was spread it's not allowed to tough Bruce, then he wasn't followed no more.  

Although he drive motorbike himself, so he don't need the trikes - he gave small bags of rice to the trike drivers for free, so they kept an eye on him as an extra safety.

tothevictor
Posted
Posted

I am not wealthy, but I make sound investment choices. We set up all the various business ventures for a couple thousand bucks. They were all profitable in month one. I often ask myself why it is that people who come here insist on living on so little when it so easy to take a TINY amount of capital here and have it generate an income that is higher than most pensions.

Just my two cents, sorry if I went a bit off topic.  TL;DR: How much could I live on in the Philippines for one month? About 200,000 pesos.

Hello Victor,

Through hard work, perseverance and business savvy.....you also have mastered the local jungle rules.

CPA'd of international Asian flavor, you know how to get your spices -- one way or the other.

Respectfully -- Jake 

Thanks for your comments, Jake. I first moved to Singapore when I was three years old (no, not an army brat - worse - a journalist's brat), I've been in Asia pretty much ever since apart from a few misguided attempts to re-integrate in the antipodes. This part of the world has been home to me for over three decades.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Why am I getting sh&t about this? 

Don't worry about it, some people think they know everything and are always right even though they are corrected often.

NOW

This topic is titled "How Much Could You Live On? One Month".

So lets either get back to that or start a new topic if you wish to discuss other things as I see this topic is all over the place.

chris49 Please learn how to use selective quotes to quote what others have said. Here, http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/9938-basic-posting-tutorial/?p=93260
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
Don't worry about it, some people think they know everything and are always right even though they are corrected often.

I shall have to remember that one :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
bows00
Posted
Posted

The long and the short of the matter? Asking the question "how little could you live on" is a crazy approach to take. The first question you've got to ask is "how do you want to live".

I love this quote. My long term plans and the real reason why I selected the Philippines. BTW, how old are you?

• 3 weeks later...
mogo51
Posted
Posted

I reckon I can live well under the $10, but will average it out to $10, spend the extra pesos for a once a week treat, probably breakfast at Maccas.

$10, is this the amount for the month 

Not this little black duck!

chris49
Posted
Posted
Not this little black duck!

Rent free and single.

But the extended family does make it impossible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Arild Sandberg
Posted
Posted

Iḿ still in Sweden but I know our costs in Phil we got our own house so no rent electricity costs are at rafli 3,500 php monthly a maid 4000 / Montly, food (home) 7000 we got our own trike (simple but ok for us) so not much costs for transportation.

What can I say we can easily live on USD 500 monthly or less including some beers for me!!!

End of 2018 we gona move back to stay!

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Iḿ still in Sweden but I know our costs in Phil we got our own house so no rent electricity costs are at rafli 3,500 php monthly a maid 4000 / Montly, food (home) 7000 we got our own trike (simple but ok for us) so not much costs for transportation.

What can I say we can easily live on USD 500 monthly or less including some beers for me!!!

End of 2018 we gona move back to stay!

We have done that out of necessity. But there a few more things to consider. TV, Internet, Mobile Phones....Immigration (which might not be an issue), Medical Care and so on.

If I'm living on $500, I prefer to have another $500 available.

Going back to my original post, I started this topic. I can live on 10-12,000 pesos if single and I might keep it up for a few months, but not forever. No rent, I also have my own house.

• Like 1