Wealthy Filipino Family Members

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Curious if any of our members have wealthy Filipino family members? If so my question is in what way are you accepted or not?

My immediate Filipino family are all highly educated solid upper middle class. Some more distant members doing very well some poor or very poor.

From what I have seen wealthy family members had difficulty seeing or knowing about poor ones. A generalization from my very limited perspective. 

Because your wife is now married to a Rich Kano maybe has mixed children, have well to do family members now embrace your family closely and want you included in their life? I know the questions are kinda vague I'm just interested what your feelings are and what you would do.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I think i have married into a middle family, Ems  parents worked very hard to put there children into university and they was the first to buy there own house too,

On the other hand Ems sisters and bro in law think they are super rich , again THINK

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I am not at all viewed as a rich Kano.  They know better.  They have travelled all over the world, have spent time in North America, and are not under any impression that average Western folks are rich.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I understand Mac, my wife's sisters all worked OFW when I first met the family so they also understood not all Foreigners are wealthy. Its a big plus. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

My wife's family is working class but above poverty level. They have farms and are able to send their children to private schools. Maybe someday they will rise to Middle Class. Right now it is difficult financially to get them into a university. My wife and a few others are rare exceptions.

They do not see me as wealthy  but just an American. They would like to see my wife emigrate to the USA  but she refuses as long as her parents are alive. No one knows my income and no one has asked. One nosey aunt asked me my age. I asked her if she is writing a book. She said, NO and just smiled and never asked again.

It's like I always say, they and anyone else are on a "need to know" basis. If they don't need to know for any good reason then I don't tell them.  Besides, what's keeping me from telling them lies? Yes, I may come across as an Azzhole but that's the way I handle some people.

I can be NICE too. Really, I can. ( big old grin)

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I have a few family members who think they are Rich, talk like they are Rich and buy the things that they think, will make many think they are Rich, If I said the word Credit, would that surprise anyone here.

I am not a Popular guy for 2 or 3 reasons but then some confuse me with a man that gives a S...t!

When people send children to private schools ( to keep up with the Jones's) then come asking for loans for Gas and Rice and the Usual, I have to sit and ask, so I thought you were Rich?

Yes there may be many Rich family members in members families but it is to what Standard of the Others that to me counts here.

From my Observations on the Extended family and those that tell all I am Rich, they are always the last in Line to help out in a family Crisis.

I am most Certainly not Rich by many standards but to most in the family we are streets ahead.

So now when I hear Stories of a Rich Family member coming, I will ask my Wife, who told you they were Rich? Then I sit and watch and low and Behold, they ask some where in the Visit for a cash Advance, Whilst the Topic is a good one, I feel that there are going to be some skeletons coming out of the Cupboards,

People like us don't marry into real Filipino money. As to being Educated, most of them (the Younger ones) are all  Degree Holders but no jobs. So Education is not a basis for wealth. In one particular case Educating his 4 Children beyond his Means has put my BIL in colossal  debt yet his demeanor and social Standing would make many think he is Rich.

I think we all know now that Our beloveds Family are attention seekers and like to think Material things matter. If we can't pay Cash we don't buy now but wait.

To answer the main Question on this, My family for the main, do not like the Plastic Elements of the family.

The cracks in the supposed Wealth are showing.   Take this for what it is but just have a listen to some and see how things pan out.

We have one Cousin who appears to be wealthy sent his kids to private then Uni etc but neglects to tell people I live in My Sisters House that she had Built with money as an OFW Yet now she is retired and coming Home, she is having a hard time in telling him you are rich, you tell all, so build your own house now you have lived off me for 15 years.  All of a Sudden he is not so Rich.

Anyone else come across this?

JP :tiphat: post-2148-0-25338100-1438562413.png

This is me of Course Others may be Hoodwinked 

• Like 3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

My GF family is from one of the well known families from south Cebu. The family is middle class,  however owns an incredible spread of prime farming land that they really never went about doing anything about it, so in fact they are quite rich but have not really done anything with their land. They have taken to me quite well, however english is still very poor among family and extended family, most of them just call me Doc, as I look after most of the medical concerns for family and immediate neighbours.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

most of them just call me Doc, as I look after most of the medical concerns for family and immediate neighbours.

Mike my Friend, whilst I am sure we all Admire the things you can do for these People, I am sure that none of us has to spell it out to be careful on this score, Just One mistake and ....................... :unsure:  :thumbsup:

JP post-2148-0-34214000-1438568193.png

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

most of them just call me Doc, as I look after most of the medical concerns for family and immediate neighbours.

Mike my Friend, whilst I am sure we all Admire the things you can do for these People, I am sure that none of us has to spell it out to be careful on this score, Just One mistake and ....................... :unsure:  :thumbsup:

JP attachicon.gifwink.png

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
I have no idea what you are talking about.

This is what I am talking about, it was your Statement Mike.

They are calling you Doc and it may be that if something went wrong you advised on then a problem for you could arise.

But OK you carry on.

Edit to spell check.

Edited by Jack Peterson