Asking For Cash/help

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Its funny when i started this thread i was angry but also in my heart i was torn too, yes the big man with his deep voice saying NO NO NO, but it hurts thinking well its only a tenner here and there, and the more you think about what we have here and what they may have there, well its hard,

Amyway after talking to the wife and asking too ( WHAT WOULD YOU DO ) to my friends , we did managed to sort things out in the end, and no monies was sent this time,

Now today we spoke to Ems dad and her brother has just come home from the hospital , he is better but his medication is 1000 a month, no problem we will send you this and advance the next year,

Once you know that there is a problem and its  not bullsh&t  you are there to help straight away

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Its funny when i started this thread i was angry but also in my heart i was torn too, yes the big man with his deep voice saying NO NO NO, but it hurts thinking well its only a tenner here and there, and the more you think about what we have here and what they may have there, well its hard,

Amyway after talking to the wife and asking too ( WHAT WOULD YOU DO ) to my friends , we did managed to sort things out in the end, and no monies was sent this time,

Now today we spoke to Ems dad and her brother has just come home from the hospital , he is better but his medication is 1000 a month, no problem we will send you this and advance the next year,

Once you know that there is a problem and its  not bullsh&t  you are there to help straight away

Check the price in Watson's or any of the other pharmacies that have generic products... I take a Beta Blocked for my heart... P33 each by the prime manufacture and P11 each for generic brand... And, funny thing... The generic brand is the same brand I took in Canada!

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was going to say that, but there was no question on meds or the price.

Bob is on the right track though.

Edited by chris49

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Check the price in Watson's or any of the other pharmacies that have generic products... I take a Beta Blocked for my heart... P33 each by the prime manufacture and P11 each for generic brand... And, funny thing... The generic brand is the same brand I took in Canada!

Thanks Bob :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
crosby
Posted
Posted

This situation is compounded by "foreigners" not truly understanding the culture in most (or at least many) cases, it's considered automatic that the kids will look after the parents and grandparents,  Way uwaw to boot ( no shame) it would usually be the case that as soon as there is a foreigner on the scene it's akin to winning the Lotteries. And later on guess who's paying for that Kidney/Heart treatment?

The last poster was 100% correct the only word to remember is "no".  In western society income is joint income, and whilst there is some autonomy i.e. we can spend something on ourselves without discussing every cent but we certainly would not tolerate either partner funding his or hers family, why so many blokes accept this bulldust just because you have married a Filipina is beyond me.

In my case, I very soon realised that it could easily turn into a massive problem, as my wife was compelled to send money; fortunately not behind my back but I can tell you that a lot do.

Anyway I set about getting her Mechanic brother here at enormous expense, followed by the younger brother, i.e. they really did hit the jackpot. Now let me say that part of the deal was that they would pay back all the expenses once I got em here,  they did,  but don't forget it was a massive risk cos there's no way ever they could have paid it back if the visa was refused.

Anyway my point is this:  I did this so that the brothers could now afford to look after the Parents, or at the very least we all pay 1/3rd each of the living requirements, bearing in mind that an ordinary wage is about 4000 pesos a month.

So you think OK then so we now send 1350 pesos (or so) each  yes??    wrong................................. they all send 4000 pesos (at least) + her dad is a Shire Councillor so has an income any way, the result they've got money coming at them from every direction, meanwhile I'm in exactly the same position as before I risked 1 million pesos and spent 1000 of hours getting them here.

But do you see the difference in culture ? the mindset is totally different, while I would feel like a grub accepting charity, they are proud of it  everything now is "barato para sa dato"  (visayan = very cheap for the rich)  especially San Miguel & 5 years Tanduway!

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
In western society income is joint income, and whilst there is some autonomy i.e. we can spend something on ourselves without discussing every cent but we certainly would not tolerate either partner funding his or hers family, why so many blokes accept this bulldust just because you have married a Filipina is beyond me.
Perhaps - beside the culture - it depend of the LAW    :)  

It say the children HAVE TO assist OLD parents (and sibblings in need IF they have done their best to solve their problems themselves.)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

In western society income is joint income, and whilst there is some autonomy i.e. we can spend something on ourselves without discussing every cent but we certainly would not tolerate either partner funding his or hers family, why so many blokes accept this bulldust just because you have married a Filipina is beyond me.

It say the children HAVE TO assist OLD parents (and sibblings in need IF they have done their best to solve their problems themselves.)

Yes Thomas it does but we are not talking about the Indigenous people are we, there is NO law that says we, as Foreigners, have to Support an Extended family

Jack :)

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Thomas I know that you are quite knowledgeable about the phills  but when does the law here ever get enforced here. Not often.

crosby
Posted
Posted

What   --cking law, you are exactly what I'm talking about, they married a Foreigner, I will look after her and our kids till death, as my folks did for me , WHY as a retiree am I expected to look after some parasites, sorry but that is what they are , they will take, take, take. Look after themselves is all I'm saying!   i.e. what did they do before I got there? whooaaa!

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes Thomas it does but we are not talking about the Indigenous people are we, there is NO law that says we, as Foreigners, have to Support an Extended family

Jack :)

Yes it is such law. I have read it proper (over a year ago) to see if there is any lopehole   :mocking:

Well. The law say our Filipina wifes have to try to assist her parents and sibblings, IF they are in need and them in working age ONLY if they do their best themselves  = The lopehole in many cases. NOT endless extended family as cousins and such. 

If the Filipina wife don't earn enough herself then the husband have to support her...  :)   

BUT it DON'T say the one with most assets need to pay ALL, other close relatives are suppoused to contribute too if they earn more than to their own basics. 

The law is FUZZY concerning which living standard though. I GUESS it mean enough for the basic FILIPINO living standard.

So many foreigners contribute MORE than the law say, specialy to LAZY relatives...

Thomas I know that you are quite knowledgeable about the phills  but when does the law here ever get enforced here. Not often.

Correct. (E g it's possible to BUY drivers licence.)  But that don't change what's legal   :)