Srrv (Special Resident Retirement Visa)

PhilD
Posted
Posted

I've done a little reading on the SRRV.  Basically, for me it would cost $10,000 USD but you never have to leave or keep applying for extensions to stay. That's a lot for me.  Does anyone have one of these ?  Is it worth it ?  If you don't have SRRV, what are other options for staying there ?
What kind of visas do most expats use to stay there ?

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You are going to get every answer under the sun (and a few from the depths of heck!) On this one... Why? Because every person here has different situations in life - and that includes life style... Married, girlfriend, single... Are you making this your home forever or just not sure... Six months in and 6 months out routine? Live in the city? Province? Travel a lot out of country? Budget? Is life expectancy long or short... Do you get angry at others easily... Do you love the Filipino way if life? Are you easily swayed by your expat buddies or are you a decision maker who sticks to your guns forever or go with what feels right did the time... And, most important if all, what do you think is right? That's the one that will give you the best answer! Listen to the replies you get and toss out those that aren't really you... And then, the final step... Get a nice big coin and flip it!

:D

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've done a little reading on the SRRV.  Basically, for me it would cost $10,000 USD but you never have to leave or keep applying for extensions to stay. That's a lot for me.  Does anyone have one of these ?  Is it worth it ?  If you don't have SRRV, what are other options for staying there ?

What kind of visas do most expats use to stay there ?

I would say among forum members. 13 A Visa, married to Filipino. Or Balikbayan visa, married to Filipino, leaving the country about every year or so for renewal would be the most common.

Since we don't know your situation it's hard to advise further. But perhaps you might come over and get your 29 day visa at the airport and pay immediately the extensions up to 6 months, which can also be done at the airport. Cost? I am not sure exactly. 12-13k pesos which is still less than what you would pay for the SRRV.

Getting over here, talking to others, will give you a better idea how to proceed.

I have a friend, an Aussie, who went immediately for the SRRV. But he did marry a Filipina later. He would have been better off waiting.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 3

GPJ
Posted
Posted

If you have served in the US Military and at the end of your term was given an honorable discharge than the required deposit drops to $1,500.  The Special Resident Retiree's Visa (:SRRV") is a visa issued by the Bureau of Immigration through the Philippine Retirement Authority.

• Like 3

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

Its not going to cost you $ 10k USD ..

It will cost u the application fee which is approx $1500.

You will have to deposit $10k in an account of a bank of their choice, but still in your name.

You will have to attend once a year to PRA ..not BI , and there is an annual fee of approx $370 ..

( sorry these figures not exact )

You can use the $10k as part of the purchase price of a condo or a couple of other options.

• Like 2

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Although Im just shy of 2 years from doing what you are doing I must admit I was thinking of just doing the $10k bit money in the bank retirement visa thing, but perhaps a 6 month visa at the airport would be the way to go particularly if you are going to get married and then do the 13 A visa

thing

• Like 1

JustB
Posted
Posted

Its not going to cost you $ 10k USD ..

It will cost u the application fee which is approx $1500.

You will have to deposit $10k in an account of a bank of their choice, but still in your name.

You will have to attend once a year to PRA ..not BI , and there is an annual fee of approx $370 ..

( sorry these figures not exact )

You can use the $10k as part of the purchase price of a condo or a couple of other options.

Are you sure? I thought you had to go down the US$50,000 deposit route if you wanted to use the monies for a Condo and the "Smile" option of depositing US$10,000 (over 50 & with pension income) Or US$20,000 (35-50 or no pension income) had to stay on deposit in a PRA approved bank.

BTW... Hello to everybody [emoji106], been lurking here for a while but this is my 1st post :)

• Like 2

PhilD
Posted
Posted

Thank you (I am)Bob, Gusincebu, JustB, Ynot, GPJ, Chris49. and all others. Obviously I have a lot more to learn about this. Assuming I'm not married to a Filipina and I don't want a condo or land for at least a few years, (I probably will want to rent so I can move around the country a bit before settling somewhere) I suppose the 6 month Visa might be the way to go for awhile. I will study this also but I heard that some guys do this and then just leave the country for one day then come right back and get another Visa. Is this so ?

JustB
Posted
Posted

Thank you (I am)Bob, Gusincebu, JustB, Ynot, GPJ, Chris49. and all others. Obviously I have a lot more to learn about this. Assuming I'm not married to a Filipina and I don't want a condo or land for at least a few years, (I probably will want to rent so I can move around the country a bit before settling somewhere) I suppose the 6 month Visa might be the way to go for awhile. I will study this also but I heard that some guys do this and then just leave the country for one day then come right back and get another Visa. Is this so ?

The 6 months is (re)extendible until you've been in country for 3 years, then you just need to leave the country for the day & the clock resets (I.e. You can come back on a 30 day visa waiver, extend this to 6 months then extend in 6 month chunks until you get to 3 years again).

Nb The 6 month extensions are (or at least were,) only available at the immigration offices in Manilla, Cebu & Davao so if you find yourself at one of the smaller locations, you may find that you need to renew in 2 month chunks & (presumably) the 16month limit will/may apply.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I thought you had to go down the US$50,000 deposit route

I remember reading about the SRRV and deciding it was not for me but the program changes from time to time.  What remains in memory is that the plan is age dependent so your age when you apply makes a difference.  As I recall, the $50,000 was for someone who had not reached the maximum age?