Another Wine Grizzle

RBM
Posted
Posted

For the last couple of years we have been staying at Saltimbocca Tourist Inn Bacolod at least 6 nights every month. Although the place is a little shabby its suits us. Pool is nicely maintained, location is excellent as is parking. Rooms, well depends which one but for us sufficient and nice little garden.

We are quite well known to staff, they always find us a room if we failed to make a reservation. Periodically we bring a red with us and request them to put in the fridge as we want to have it outside with dinner. On the odd occasion we in fact have enjoyed ia bottle in the nice garden, staff have happily supplied us glasses.

So it came as a shock two weeks ago when staff informed us if we drink a wine in the garden we shall be subject to a p200 corkage charge. Feeling this was incorrect I requested to speak to the manager, as is typical here, managers delegate and are never around...Finally after a lot of persistence I was successful. First she tried to avoid me by talking and sending messages via the staff, as I guessed she was senior went over and requested a chat.

After explaining, we are frequent guests, rarely drink our wine on the premises and only in garden she agreed yes I was unfair sir, so sorry......K all good we departed best of friends.....

Few days later we are back, requested front desk would you mind placing our wine (wrapped in news paper) in fridge as we will bring it out tonight.....A sheepish look....Sir our instructions now from manager if you bring any wine into the premises open or unopened there is P200 corkage. Even if in your car this applies......Sir best hide it in your car....

Non amount of pestering this time would get me the manager, and nobody knows where her office is....

Put it down to Philippine public relations at their best.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

1. Red Wine should not be chilled. I know what you are thinking, because of the heat, but it actually disturbs the tannins and alters the flavor of the wine. Subject of an on going debate between me and my Aussie mate who lives in a deluxe condo in Eastwood, yet still refrigerates the wine. It's tough in the heat but you should not expose it to the sun and still drink at room temperature.

2. Most Aussies don't agree, they have their own approach, but I can assure you my approach is correct.There is an item called a wine cooler which assures you will get the wine at room temperature, about 23 degrees.Chilling the wine and keeping it at room temperature are 2 different things

3. Corkage fee is standard isn't it? In restaurants here and there. I get your point, but they haven't only imposed that on you, surely it's across the board?

4. I had it only once in the Philippines, 600 pesos. Like you I as shocked, but of course I did not open my wine that day.

RBM
Posted
Posted

I have a wine cooler as I import wine for personal consumption. My preference is 16c, most coolers will cool between 5-----25 as mine does. Of course I prefer white to be much cooler, guess personal taste also comes into it Chris, no two of us are the same. My supplier whom owns a vinyard and spends time here says 14----16. For myself, room temperature wine here is not acceptable.

Corkage in Bacolod mostly P300, Cebu seems to be 5----600. Better to buy their wine if your able to find something that suits.

My biggest gripe was two fold.

1.... Complete turn around from manager just few days after she agreed reg guest no problem.

2.....Wine in your car will also be charged as car on premises....now that was a shock

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm addressing now the wine, not the corkage.

Like my mate, you and him prefer the cooler temperature. Lke a lot of Aussies. But he was better on the cheese, he gave me a Bega cheddar and a nicely age Danish Blue.

Where do you get your wine? It can be hit and miss but we were getting a Chilean Cab Sav at Pure Gold and more recently the Rothbury's Shiraz from Eastern Victoria per the lable, also at Pure Gold. I just have one bottle for the month and I drink it alone over 3-4 days. Room temperature per my preference.

When I said 23, I meant room temperature, and I have not actually measured it.

Edited by chris49

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
not the corkage

Chris, just out of curiosity, did the manager change? new guy/gal trying to bump the profit margin?

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

It's not my topic Steve, wait for RBM.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
After explaining, we are frequent guests, rarely drink our wine on the premises and only in garden she agreed yes I was unfair

Do other guests do this or are your actions the main reason for the new policy.  It seems they don't like what you are doing and they are willing to lose your business if you do not want to stop.  So change hotels or change your actions, the policy makers are giving you the choice and it is their business.

Me?  I would look around at other options for choice of hotel as there is an old expression:  Familiarity breeds contempt.  It has been my experience that frequenting any business for a long period of time makes me think of that expression.  So many businesses would rather put their efforts into finding new customers than retaining old ones.  That is too bad, but make it their loss, not your.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

not the corkage

Chris, just out of curiosity, did the manager change? new guy/gal trying to bump the profit margin?

As said in my opening post Steve, typically once a Filipino resumes a position of responsilbility they delegate and one rarely sees them if ever. It was just luck that I guessed the current manager was whom I thought she was. She had no intention of speaking to me except via her staff. Unfortunately for her there was no option after I approached. We spoke very affably, she agreed she was unfair and the fact we rarely drink a wine there, plus when we do its in the garden not in their restaurant it's quite OK.

So one can imagine my shock when a few days later there is an about turn. My GF suggests could be she lost face in front of staff.....How long she has been there I have no idea.

We have the option to change hotels, this is being pondered over now. Or just hide wine in car and hope the guard does not check. Just seems as Dave said, they prefer new guests rather than old reliable ones.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

After explaining, we are frequent guests, rarely drink our wine on the premises and only in garden she agreed yes I was unfair

Do other guests do this or are your actions the main reason for the new policy.  It seems they don't like what you are doing and they are willing to lose your business if you do not want to stop.  So change hotels or change your actions, the policy makers are giving you the choice and it is their business.

Dave they are entitled to their policy, I have no problem with this.

My problem is saying one thing and a few days later making an about turn..... Also charging corkage for possession kinda puzzles me.

No have not seen other guests drinking wine here, as said we rarely do, from memory two times only.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Dave they are entitled to their policy, I have no problem with this.

My problem is saying one thing and a few days later making an about turn..... Also charging corkage for possession kinda puzzles me.

No have not seen other guests drinking wine here, as said we rarely do, from memory two times only.

I'm sorry RBM about your issues dealing with this Filipino culture.  I believe you are correct about losing face, especially in front of her staff.  It is quite prevalent throughout the islands.  It was their mistake of allowing you to go against their established policy and a bigger mistake of refusing to deal with this matter face to face.  It's one of those NO meaning YES or visa versa because either they are unable to communicate out of embarrassment or simply because they are unable to grasp the meaning of customer relationships.  

Direct talks that may lead to confrontation is not their cup of tea.  It's like nobody complains about their misbehave kids in Jollibee until someone (like a foreigner) gets up and says something.  And then another Filipino culture rears it's ugly head called mod mentality where everybody gets involved, to be followed by hot tsismis (gossiping).  

Only in da Philippines.......respectfully, Jake

• Like 1