Another Wine Grizzle

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Off topic, I am not much of a drinker but once a year or so like a red wine like a Cab or Shara... like you I like it chilled not cold but cool.

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

1. Red Wine should not be chilled. I know what you are thinking, because of the heat, but it actually disturbs the tannins and alters the flavor of the wine. Subject of an on going debate between me and my Aussie mate who lives in a deluxe condo in Eastwood, yet still refrigerates the wine. It's tough in the heat but you should not expose it to the sun and still drink at room temperature.

2. Most Aussies don't agree, they have their own approach, but I can assure you my approach is correct.There is an item called a wine cooler which assures you will get the wine at room temperature, about 23 degrees.Chilling the wine and keeping it at room temperature are 2 different things

3. Corkage fee is standard isn't it? In restaurants here and there. I get your point, but they haven't only imposed that on you, surely it's across the board?

4. I had it only once in the Philippines, 600 pesos. Like you I as shocked, but of course I did not open my wine that day.

Have disagree with you on 1. of your post.  Many years ago was a frequent traveller to Hunter Valley , king of Shiraz coungry.  Went to several wine appreciaton evenings by people such as Murray Tyrell, renowned wine master.  He once explained  that 1/2 hour or so,

in a fridge for red wine is appropriate, expecially in the warmer months, as 'room temperatue' in Australia is often much higher than say

UK or Europe.  Your Aussie mate is correct, cheers Chris.

I toured the Hunter Valley many years ago. It was pointed out the no winery in the Hunter uses any form of refrigeration. As you might hsve noticed they used giant Oakwood casks which are actually sunk underground.

Chilling wine is an Aussie thing, and of course they do it in the states.

I do happen to know a bit about wine and if you notice above I have an ongoing battle with my mate about whether or not a wine should be chilled (we are talking red wine here, white wine must be chilled). Each to his own, but in France where they do know a bit about wine they don't chill it.

What about in hot countries? Aha, that's where storage and wine coolers come in. As I know a wine cooler does not chill the wine. It gradually adjusts the temperature to what you consider to be room temperature.

Since Tyrell is a famous name in wine making I would have to accept what he said. Were wine coolers in vogue then?

Edited by chris49

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So here have one of those round and round Topics that we will argue on way or the other forever. Lets see what the Experts on the Subject say EH?

http://www.vintecclub.com.au/best-temp/

Just trying to help here post-2148-0-91944300-1441600916.png

JP :thumbsup:

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Excellent Jack, I'm not saying it supports my point but it tends to.

Earlier I said "room temperature" but I made a mistake adding 23 degrees, per the link it should be a bit lower.

The recommendation includes a fridge but a wine cooler supersedes all that.

Personal taste also. I'm happy a "room temp" but then you get into definitions of what is "room temperature"

And someone mentioned Italian wines above. Slightly different variety of wine and in that case I would lower the temperature a bit.

Edited by chris49

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

All this brings me to another point about wine.

Snobbery, some people tend to think that the more you pay the better the wine.

How many of us feel that wine should be about personal taste,On the rare occasion's I have had Champagne, some taste really nice other times, well I woundn't even cook with it!

Also it depends what one is eating at the time,( EG: red wine doesn't go down so well with fish!)

So for me, Corkage or not, it's all about the taste, temperature and company..... :cheersty:

Just to give a reasonable priced wine in UK

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Echo-Falls-White-Zinfandel/243716011?from=offers&tags=%7C105651%7C19998%7C103120&parentContainer=%7C19998%7C103120_SHELFVIEW

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

1. Red Wine should not be chilled. I know what you are thinking, because of the heat, but it actually disturbs the tannins and alters the flavor of the wine. Subject of an on going debate between me and my Aussie mate who lives in a deluxe condo in Eastwood, yet still refrigerates the wine. It's tough in the heat but you should not expose it to the sun and still drink at room temperature.2. Most Aussies don't agree, they have their own approach, but I can assure you my approach is correct.There is an item called a wine cooler which assures you will get the wine at room temperature, about 23 degrees.Chilling the wine and keeping it at room temperature are 2 different things3. Corkage fee is standard isn't it? In restaurants here and there. I get your point, but they haven't only imposed that on you, surely it's across the board?4. I had it only once in the Philippines, 600 pesos. Like you I as shocked, but of course I did not open my wine that day.

Have disagree with you on 1. of your post.  Many years ago was a frequent traveller to Hunter Valley , king of Shiraz coungry.  Went to several wine appreciaton evenings by people such as Murray Tyrell, renowned wine master.  He once explained  that 1/2 hour or so,in a fridge for red wine is appropriate, expecially in the warmer months, as 'room temperatue' in Australia is often much higher than sayUK or Europe.  Your Aussie mate is correct, cheers Chris.
I toured the Hunter Valley many years ago. It was pointed out the no winery in the Hunter uses any form of refrigeration. As you might hsve noticed they used giant Oakwood casks which are actually sunk underground.Chilling wine is an Aussie thing, and of course they do it in the states.I do happen to know a bit about wine and if you notice above I have an ongoing battle with my mate about whether or not a wine should be chilled (we are talking red wine here, white wine must be chilled). Each to his own, but in France where they do know a bit about wine they don't chill it.What about in hot countries? Aha, that's where storage and wine coolers come in. As I know a wine cooler does not chill the wine. It gradually adjusts the temperature to what you consider to be room temperature.Since Tyrell is a famous name in wine making I would have to accept what he said. Were wine coolers in vogue then?

Chris my knowledge about wine is limited how ever I have some experience with wineries and do enjoy many different varieties. Especially the southern grown pinor noir and some of the wines from the Barrossa are particularly good.

I have never heard of a wine chiller adjusting to room temperature, mine and others I am aware of run similar to a fridge where one sets the temperature, recommended ( dare I say it) for a red is 16----18.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

How many of us feel that wine should be about personal taste,On the rare occasion's I have had Champagne, some taste really nice other times, well I woundn't even cook with it!

Also it depends what one is eating at the time,( EG: red wine doesn't go down so well with fish!)

So for me, Corkage or not, it's all about the taste, temperature and company..... :cheersty:

Just to give a resonable priced wine in UK

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Echo-Falls-White-Zinfandel/243716011?from=offers&tags=|105651|19998|103120&parentContainer=|19998|103120_SHELFVIEW[/quote

I believe this has long been ridiculed, white wine white meat, red wine red meat.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

At one time in my youth I worked at a winery in southern California (insert drunken young man jokes here). And if memory serves there were mainly whites in the coolers with a few selected rose wines.

But having said that, the bottom line is. If a guy buys it, he can drink it any dang way he pleases! :hystery:

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Which per the link RBM is considered as room temperature 16-18 degrees.

And I think the definition of room temperature adds to the confusion because it in itself is highly variable.

EDIT: Did you open the link posted by Jsck. Room temperature in France was 16-18 degrees back in the era those recommendations were made.

Edited by chris49

chris49
Posted
Posted

Just to give a resonable priced wine in UK

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Echo-Falls-White-Zinfandel/243716011?from=offers&tags=|105651|19998|103120&parentContainer=|19998|103120_SHELFVIEW[/quote

I believe this has long been ridiculed, white wine white meat, red wine red meat.

They put wines in front of experts and switched them. The results were so negative, they had wine tastersraving about cheap American wines, while ignoring French Classics.

What I do especially back in Australia where there's wide selection, price and all. I ask the people in the shop what is selling well off the shelf. This will usually lead to a good selection.

• Like 1