Just Moved Into Our New House

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

These guys did not want a daily rate - they wanted a flat rate for the whole job.  The contractor brought various numbers of guys each day... so not sure how it compared to a per man/per day rate.  We paid p50,000 flat rate for the labor.  They took almost 7 weeks with 3-5 guys per day... so about the same, I think.

Lunch and merienda was provided daily.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

You had painting and decorating a electrical fittings like lights and switches. We did not. You paid a bit more but you got a bit more for your money also. I tried the contract system previously, didn't like it much especially when calling in an electrician and plumber who can get a big rate for work that is completed very quickly. But on your side your "head contractor" or builder makes all the decisions and controls the workers. In our system I'm the head guy while Gina is the liason to relay my instructions. Cheaper but can lead to some difficulties in translation along the way. Especially when the builder like to tell her how they will do the work but contrary to my instructions.

When building in this system you can't really go away more than 1-2 hours. But in your case as the contractct has been made, your input is less after initial instructions. Working with no plan just a few sketches on paper and Gina with a habit to alter them.

Under contract the way I know is food is not included. So 7 weeks of food and merienda goes against you in a sense. I mean it adds up.

In your way, they must finish the project, hence the 7 weeks. Our way would be to stop the work for a break, maybe a financial break and resume later. We did this when tiling because hadn't yet ordered the tiles.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Fridge wasn't working despite repairing it twice. I let it sit now about a year. We get electricity from mother in laws house and some outdoor lighting. We run fans but our electricity is a line from their house. We pay both bills.

With the Ref and everything running, the bill was 1800-2000. Last 12 months we have a low of around 450 and recent bill was 730 pesos. Which is not bad when you are paying someone else's bill.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Wonder what his electric bill is?

I'd bet it's more than yours and mine combined!

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:tiphat: Tim, thank you for the link.  You have had an interesting 2 years.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
We are in the middle of adding a front porch, or sala. I was calling it a patio but was told a patio is the pavilions at the cemetery, so now I just call it a front porch ha ha The house is 15 feet x 26 feet. The front porch is 15 feet x 10 feet. In price comparison - the main house was p300,000 and the porch, which is half the size of the house, was under p10,000 ha ha. Bamboo/nipa is much cheaper than cement. When finished it will have a sliding bamboo door, lattice work bamboo walls, and a gravel floor. Keeping it simple. I want the dart board in there... but she does not - she wants the TV out there... we have not had that fight yet ha ha... Only about p4,000 in materials, the rest is labor.
  10 000. Why don't you build two - his and hers?  :)
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
10 000. Why don't you build two - his and hers?

One in front... one in back...   good idea  :tiphat:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Well the front porch is about done. I like it!  They are putting on the sliding door now, but it is getting dark, so I took the pics already.  Close enough.  It is 10 foot x 15 foot.  So far just a dirt floor, Melane wants gravel...  I don't care. 

I am hanging the dart board out there tomorrow (unless I am at the hospital donating blood?).

Kind of hard to get far enough away to get the whole house because of all the growth - but that is a good thing  :tiphat:

post-2045-0-43645100-1441876290_thumb.jp

post-2045-0-45486100-1441876352_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Really beautiful!

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Well... they finished the porch but she said the guys were coming back today... to build a fence... what fence?  We need a fence?  I really do not get my memos....

• Like 2