Trike Manufacturer?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I agree with the posters who said it is best to look local as all these trikes and motorcycle/sidecar combinations are either made in backyard factories or imported.  Then I started wondering who advertises their service on OLX and found this guy who will make sidecars for 35K pesos, which is reasonable

http://olx.ph/item/sidecar-stainless-trikes-ID4XwSK.html?p=8#ea90340545

But you really should look around in the area you want to buy it as shipping will eat up any savings if you buy it from afar.

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted

In Mindanao the styles vary, for example, the enclosed style is used in Gensan, the largish sidecar type is favoured in Koronadal, in Sarangani they like the tiny sidecar style. I'm sure throughout the island there are differences wherever you go. I have found that the taxi ones tend to be colour coded by location too. In Koronadal the motorcycle of choice tends to be the 100cc Bajaj, small engine but strong pulling power. These retail for 40,000p new, a made to order sidecar will cost you 15-20,000p depending on livery requirements, leather seats etc. Obviously prices vary across the islands but Dave is correct when he says that it is best to buy/build wherever you are living because of the shipping costs.

Will be interested to see your choice!

• Like 1

Removed
Posted
Posted

Thanks Gerald!  Yes, I lived on a 33' boat named Nautilus for many years, but sold it when I met asawa ko.  We were married in Quezon City, and used the money to buy a beach in Batangas.  Perhaps someday I will get a motor bangka or sailboat to put around the islands, but my liveaboard days are over.  Time for new adventures!

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Best thing is to ask the tricycle drivers in the local area who makes their side cars. I expect that most side cars are made locally and hand crafted at a small shop that specializes in this.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Best thing is to ask the tricycle drivers in the local area who makes their side cars. I expect that most side cars are made locally and hand crafted at a small shop that specializes in this.

Totally agree with this many reasons, one being what area you will live in and What the LTO will allow for registration as we here in Dumaguete have some pretty Large ones both for Hire and Private use. Just a heads up that it may be good to seek out LTO Registration Details before you commit. We all know the Strange Laws and things that can get thrown at us. :unsure:

A Friend had a sidecar put on his 150cc Honda and got done because he was still on MC Plates and not TC Plates.

Just a Thought  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

Removed
Posted
Posted

Thanks VirginPrune - I googled "Gensan tricycle" and found the enclosed types that I prefer!  I will travel there, build it, and have them put it on a ro-ro ferry to bring it back to Batangas City.

To Jack Peterson - what is "the LTO"?  What is the difference between "MC Plates" and "TC Plates"?  Thanks!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

To Jack Peterson - what is "the LTO"?  What is the difference between "MC Plates" and "TC Plates"?  Thanks!

LAND TRANSPORTATION OFFICE (LTO) They are the Agency responsible for Drivers Licenses and Vehicle Registrations. Also for Traffic Violations.

MC =  Motorcycle. (Solo) TC=  Tricycle (Motorized) Some towns and Cities have Registration for Pedicabs also ( Push Bike Trikes.)

Just so you know  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

chris49
Posted
Posted

Thanks VirginPrune - I googled "Gensan tricycle" and found the enclosed types that I prefer!  I will travel there, build it, and have them put it on a ro-ro ferry to bring it back to Batangas City.

That's the sidecar. How about the axle conversion to a longer axle with an additional wheel and the housing to accommodate the side car? And the installation of that?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

That's the sidecar. How about the axle conversion to a longer axle with an additional wheel and the housing to accommodate the side car? And the installation of that?

I guess they will sort that out but here again all this has to be reported to LTO for the Proper Classification and update of Registration details  as it will change the Construction and use. As I said before, nothing is easy sometimes, Here, Is it?  

of Course you can do the local thing and just Shrug your Shoulders when stopped and the Paper work is all wrong post-2148-0-80154000-1441940886.png

Jp :thumbsup:  :tiphat:

chris49
Posted
Posted

I guess they will sort that out but here again all this has to be reported to LTO for the Proper Classification and update of Registration details  as it will change the Construction and use. As I said before, nothing is easy sometimes, Here, Is it?  

of Course you can do the local thing and just Shrug your Shoulders when stopped and the Paper work is all wrong attachicon.gifwink.png

Jp :thumbsup:  :tiphat:

I mean as to the cost ref the quotes above, which are for building the sidecar. But do not mention the cost of doing the conversion on the bike, the axle, the extra wheel and the frame which it sits on.

I am quoted here 70-80k for the complete job. The quotes above are lower but that's only for building thesidecar, which is only half the job. The sidecar still has to be fitted onto the frame over the extended axle and wheel.

Here there is a type which fits a sidecar over a steel frame. Occassionally the owner might remove the sidecar and use the steel box thing to transport livestock eg pigs and the food. If the person has the intention of using the sidecar as family transportation, it might be better to go with an ownwer jeep, same principle, frame over the bare chasis. About 300k all in.