Starting Off Right By Asking Questions!

John Kirby
Posted
Posted

Hey Everyone!

First and foremost, a very brief introduction: I plan on leaving for the Philippines this coming Summer 2016. I'm taking my brother and my dog with me (boxer-lab mix). I've traveled a lot however I have not yet had the chance to travel the Philippines. I'm taking this venture as a journey and almost a discovery process.

So here's the debacle if it is one...

I currently work as a 1099 (independent contractor) for a US company, and will remain so. My brother is not employed at this time. I make the equivalent of 70,000 PHP/wk so I don't think (assuming a lot here) that money will be an issue. I'm trying to figure out the basis of where to look at relocating to, and I have a few requirements:

• Reliable Internet/Power (really a must as all my work is virtual)
  • Somewhere that I can live with my brother and grow to have a family of my own plus his
  • Backyard, or alternatively dog-friendly.
  • Preferrably somewhere close to networking opportunities so my brother can get out and meet someone

I know these are pretty basic, but it seems like the more I search the more complicated the answers really get. There's a lot of information on these sites and I'd like a few opinions on the matter.

Thanks!

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Welcome John,

First with that income you can live about anywhere you like.  But to get fast, reliable internet will narrow your choices.  For sure the best internet will be in and around the cities.  But with this comes the higher prices of rent.    The citys being Manila, Cebu and closley near the citys to have that good internet.  Some will argue that they have good internet in the provinces but that is hit and miss.  I have a close friend who is living in Bohol and work dependent on internet.  He has to travel to a nearby town to use the internet because at his newley built home it is often down and not fast enough for his work!  Back yards are not easy to find in the locations you will be looking but there are many places you can walk your dog.  As for networking for your brother, if you are refering to finding a girlfriend, I don't believe he will have any trouble once he is there and word :thumbsup:  gets around there is a new avaliable white male in the area!

This should be a start.  I'm sure many others will soon put in there 2 peso. :tiphat:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Hi john, Welcome to the forum. Just to keep it simple at the start

Like Intrepid says, the closer you are to a big city the better the internet. I live in Metro Manila and my plan gives up to 15 mbhs for about 75 USD. We have not had a major interruption of service for about 2 years (4 days,last major typhoon that rolled through).

The problem is the closer to cities the higher the cost of living etc. Your housing requirements suggest a subdivision. Like anyplace else the bigger the more expensive etc etc etc.

I realize your just getting basic information right now but My big concern in regards to your budget would be your brothers family. If he has kids already what type of education are you looking for? Medical insurance stuff like that.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I cannot give you any heads up, as I am in Thailand.  But I do urge you and your brother to read the postings in this forum regarding

how to live and protect yourselves and your assets before you arrive.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. with your forthcoming move.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

post-2148-0-12289800-1442365211_thumb.jp   and   post-2148-0-02193500-1442365003.jpg Your answers are here but Like the "yellow pages" say, let your fingers do the walking :) Plenty of help on the screen through that keyboard post-2148-0-05531600-1442365183.gif

JP :thumbsup:  :tiphat:

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

You have never been here but plan on living here?  This place aint Kansas. You will either love it here or be gone in 5 years or less. Tell us more about yourself so we can guide you towards the right area, if there is a right area.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

You have never been here but plan on living here?  This place aint Kansas. You will either love it here or be gone in 5 years or less. Tell us more about yourself so we can guide you towards the right area, if there is a right area.

Best advice you can receive.

Come and visit first, Philippines is not for everyone. Example if your in any way noise sensitive I would just cash in my ticket immediately....

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted

Top post of the week and a strong candidate for the much coveted "Post of the Month", which is not actually in effect at this time.

John, are women involved? In the Philippines they will guide you rightly or wrongly. It will be somewhat difficult to meet a girl who would not want to take you to her home area. I think a lot of us have had to make that decision. If you decide to take her elsewhere she immediately becomes a liability if she doesn't know the area, maybe won't speak the dialect.

I think you need to be in a place where you can meet other foreigners and get some interchange of ideas. Olongapo in the Subic area would be ok for that.  

Me too would like to know more. Your age, long term goals?

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Welcome, John!  Bringing a dog here is going to be very limiting for you, at least initially.  Any chance your brother can watch the dog, back home, while you come and check out a few different areas to live?  Just from your picture and bio, Makati (and nearby) is probably going to be the best place for you to meet similar expats and live the life you want.  Cebu would probably be a solid second choice and Olongapo/Subic a very distant third.  The latter is mostly older, retired military types so I doubt you would fit in well there.  But there are tons of young, professional expats near Makati, and quite a few in Cebu also.  But yeah, come check it out first, before you relocate your family here.

• Like 3

John Kirby
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys!

First of all thanks so much for your responses thus far!

It seems as if I didn't include that much information to go off of, so I'll elaborate here, and answer some specific questions by some other people.

I'm 28 years old, and I am ex-military. I've been all throughout Europe, deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan and I've also traveled to Malaysia twice. So I feel like I 'kind-of' know what I'm getting myself into, so that's a plus.

I'm not married, not attached, and there isn't a girl that's making me decide to move. Huge plus. :)

My brother is 26, a little on the big side (280~ lbs) with no family or kids he's bringing along. So it's really just bro-time haha...

My dog I'd like to tag along. My brother is very low-key and doesn't need much (except for video games i reckon) so I want him to experience some of what life offers and not just having him bound to the TV screen.

You're right, this may not be for me, or for my brother, so we're initially planning a 6 - 12 month trip (will also be visiting surrounding places).

I'm not trying to buy any property or get married on touchdown, so it's really just an explorative venture to see if we can settle down here. I like to be prepared, so I've been researching so much on this forum and other expat avenues (albiet, mostly about cost of living and legal aspects).

My long term goals are really sub-directed towards my brother. I think he deserves to get out and see that someone is out there for him (blah blah mushy mushy). I LOVE my job and I can do it anywhere. I enjoy travelling and the Philippines and surrounding areas have always been on the top of my go-see list.

@scott - Medical insurance isn't a huge priority, as I plan on budgetting a fair amount for anything that comes up.

@mogo51 - I'm definitely aware of the security issues :) I still have plenty to learn however.

@JP - Thanks!

@SubicSteve - Yeah, I didn't put too much information in the OP. I hope this helps.

@RBM - Not noise sensitive at all. If it comes down to it I can always sound-proof my office space.

@chris & Larry - Great advice!

• Like 2