Starting Off Right By Asking Questions!

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info John, normally I limit my advice to just my personal experiences as there are others who have lived here longer than I. But this time I am going to put on my "ole man" hat. So this is the 11BZ5 calling the 11B20 into the office for some CSM to young Sergeant counseling......

But the bottom line is your doing the right thing, asking questions, gathering intel, making a plan, refining the plan, asking more questions then implementing your plan.

Triple LIKE Sergeant Major!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Younger expats are resented by both provincial Filipinos and older foreigners, for the same reason....insecurity and jealousy.

Call me ignorant but I never thought about these issues. Do you think they would pose a legitimate problem?

Not everyone agrees with Larry.  In fact I see an opposing viewpoint.

I see older expats being resented by younger expats because they cannot figure out why the older guys have such prime young filipina wives so there is a bit of insecurity and jealousy.  But I don't see that all the time.  The young and the old that figure this country out soon realize that there is currently enough good times to go around for all and there is no need of jealousy and insecurity (unless you get the wrong gf).  Keep in mind this is just my point of view, in the same way Larry's statement is just his own point of view.

I don't think it is a legitimate problem for anyone willing to adjust to the situation and overcome any obstacles they encounter.

Don't Dumaguete have enough Internet for his need, so he can get all needs fulfilled in one place?

Yes, Dumaguete might work for him.  I just don't know the man well enough to recommend it to him.  There is not much night life for a young man.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

Bringing your dog is going to present quite a few limitations to your experience here ..Certainly for a start ..where u live ..rent i presume .. condo ..not suitable, most apartments .

Not suitable . So probably a house with a yard ? Public transport , taxis, etc . No go with dog ..If you want to get around and see various places .. hmm hotels , resorts, pensione and guest houses .. no go dogs ..

Far from wanting to rain on your parade , but really you need to rethink this whole strategy and perhaps reseach a bit ( which i guess is what you are doing on here ) on where and how you want to live, and what you want to achieve here.

I hope it works out for you .. good luck

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello John Kirby,

Using the search box (upper right corner), I typed in pets and got 123 hits just from this forum.  Member Medasman submitted this topic regarding shipping pets into the Philippines: (MAR 2014) http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/18609-shipping-pets/#entry117107    Good luck!

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Concerning smaller places, I believe it's better to "import" the gf > wife   :)  from somewhere else to avoid they see it as you have taken one of "their" women.

. Thomas, on 16 Sept 2015 - 5:51 PM, said: Don't Dumaguete have enough Internet for his need, so he can get all needs fulfilled in one place? Yes, Dumaguete might work for him. I just don't know the man well enough to recommend it to him. There is not much night life for a young man.
Yes, not much partying, but I suppouse enough interesting women   :)   even if many of them are occupied with studying.

Dumaguete region can solve his problem with a place suiting his dog.

And I believe it's better for his brother too than Metro Manila or Metro Cebu, because it's harder to get contact with people in biger cities, while in some small places a foreigner can become an attraction  :)   Dumaguete is to big for that though, many foreigners there, but in difference from Metro Manila it's close to the countryside.

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Maybe it's just me but I think your post raises more questions then you need answers.

Who would travel half way around the world for 12 months with his dog and brother?

If you have never been before let your family look after the dog and come and see. Stay 30 days, travel round and answer all your questions first hand.

Can't understand why you wouldn't just do that. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first.

The saying more fun in the Philippines is fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Yes Paul.

And put the dog in a kennel for a month or 6-12 months as the case may be. Sure you maybe you are attached to the dog, but you didn't take him to Afghanistan, did you.

A couple I worked with, the wife. Insisted to bring a small dog to Saudi Arabia, they had the dog illegally in an apartment. They left the door open, the dog wandered out and disappeared. Ditto the Philippines, they eat dogs here, so draw your own conclusions.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

No doubt there are circles where dogs are eaten, but that is not a pervasive practice.  It can be the poor man's pulutan (food to have while drinking), but not every poor man will eat dog meat!  Most drinkers would prefer other pulutan.

I've asked my wife.  She can't name one person (rich or poor) she knows who has had dog meat.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Common enough here up north. I was offered some last night.

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Bottom line, an expat needs to live where he will fit in, or life will be difficult.  Younger expats are resented by both provincial Filipinos and older foreigners, for the same reason....insecurity and jealousy.  Definitely best for the young guys to live in the city where they can mingle with their peers, be it locals or expats. 

Call me ignorant but I never thought about these issues.

Do you think they would pose a legitimate problem?

Philippines is a completely different country for young guys like you than it is for the older, retired ones.  Different needs, wants, and expectations.  Being 46, I'm certainly not young, but I'm in the middle and can see both sides.  My point was that "one size does not fit all" and the expats advising you might not be able to relate to someone 35-40 years younger than them.  Hell, I can barely relate to an expat 20 years younger than me!  Just keep that in mind.  Good luck to ya!   :)

• Like 5