Starting Off Right By Asking Questions!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys!

First of all thanks so much for your responses thus far!

It seems as if I didn't include that much information to go off of, so I'll elaborate here, and answer some specific questions by some other people.

I'm 28 years old, and I am ex-military. I've been all throughout Europe, deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan and I've also traveled to Malaysia twice. So I feel like I 'kind-of' know what I'm getting myself into, so that's a plus.

I'm not married, not attached, and there isn't a girl that's making me decide to move. Huge plus. :)

My brother is 26, a little on the big side (280~ lbs) with no family or kids he's bringing along. So it's really just bro-time haha...

My dog I'd like to tag along. My brother is very low-key and doesn't need much (except for video games i reckon) so I want him to experience some of what life offers and not just having him bound to the TV screen.

You're right, this may not be for me, or for my brother, so we're initially planning a 6 - 12 month trip (will also be visiting surrounding places).

I'm not trying to buy any property or get married on touchdown, so it's really just an explorative venture to see if we can settle down here. I like to be prepared, so I've been researching so much on this forum and other expat avenues (albiet, mostly about cost of living and legal aspects).

My long term goals are really sub-directed towards my brother. I think he deserves to get out and see that someone is out there for him (blah blah mushy mushy). I LOVE my job and I can do it anywhere. I enjoy travelling and the Philippines and surrounding areas have always been on the top of my go-see list.

@scott - Medical insurance isn't a huge priority, as I plan on budgetting a fair amount for anything that comes up.

@mogo51 - I'm definitely aware of the security issues :) I still have plenty to learn however.

@JP - Thanks!

@SubicSteve - Yeah, I didn't put too much information in the OP. I hope this helps.

@RBM - Not noise sensitive at all. If it comes down to it I can always sound-proof my office space.

@chris & Larry - Great advice!

:thumbsup:  Quadruple  post-2148-0-11511300-1442402063_thumb.jp Anything else is Well,  wasted? cos it is not necessary

John has said it as it is, So! Guys and Girls, lets go for it and help out here.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome, John!  Bringing a dog here is going to be very limiting for you, at least initially.  Any chance your brother can watch the dog, back home, while you come and check out a few different areas to live?  Just from your picture and bio, Makati (and nearby) is probably going to be the best place for you to meet similar expats and live the life you want.  Cebu would probably be a solid second choice and Olongapo/Subic a very distant third.  The latter is mostly older, retired military types so I doubt you would fit in well there.  But there are tons of young, professional expats near Makati, and quite a few in Cebu also.  But yeah, come check it out first, before you relocate your family here.

After the update.

Olongapo 2nd, Cebu 3rd, but Manila/Quezon City would be more practical for the intitial stay. Any area eg Timog, Eastwood, Fort Bonifacio, if not Makati.

The dog doesn't fit in the city environment though. Maybe someone else can handle that one?

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
my dog with me (boxer-lab mix)

Here is the problem.  Philippine cities are not dog friendly.  Yes, there are dogs running loose everywhere and they breed like rabbits and fight like mini paquious.  I used to take my dog for walks in the back streets of Cebu suberbs and we were attacked many times a day by other dogs while their owners looked on and laughed . .  then frowned as I threw rocks at their dogs to get them to back off.  In the end I moved my dog to the country and just let him fight.  He got ripped up a lot but had fun.

There are loads of dogs here on chains or in cages.  Seems to be the middle class thing to do.  The dogs almost never seem to be exercised.  Perhaps that keeps their meat tender when they get eaten.  Ok, they don't all get eaten but enough do that it irritates the heck out of me.

In smaller cities, like Dumaguete, there are areas like the Boulevard where some foreigners walk their dogs.  I wish they wouldn't when I step in the dog sh** but it happens.

So the dog will be a problem unless you can afford to rent a house with a fenced yard so he can run free for exercise.  if you can do that then fly at 'er.

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Welcome, John!  Bringing a dog here is going to be very limiting for you, at least initially.  Any chance your brother can watch the dog, back home, while you come and check out a few different areas to live?  Just from your picture and bio, Makati (and nearby) is probably going to be the best place for you to meet similar expats and live the life you want.  Cebu would probably be a solid second choice and Olongapo/Subic a very distant third.  The latter is mostly older, retired military types so I doubt you would fit in well there.  But there are tons of young, professional expats near Makati, and quite a few in Cebu also.  But yeah, come check it out first, before you relocate your family here.

After the update.

Olongapo 2nd Cebu 3rd, but Manila/Quezon City would be more practical for the intitial stay. Any area eg Timog, Eastwood, Fort Bonifacio, if not Makati.

The dog doesn't fit in the city environment though. Maybe someone else can handle that one?

The dog doesn't fit at all in the environment. I will let others tackle that.

LOL.  How is it for you when you roll down to the corner store and some young expat with a birthday in the 80's is talking to your sweetie there?

chris49
Posted
Posted

After the update.

Olongapo 2nd Cebu 3rd, but Manila/Quezon City would be more practical for the intitial stay. Any area eg Timog, Eastwood, Fort Bonifacio, if not Makati.

The dog doesn't fit at all in the environment. I will let others tackle that.

LOL.  How is it for you when you roll down to the corner store and some young expat with a birthday in the 80's is talking to your sweetie there?

Notice I don't live there myself. :no:

It is actually hard to advise someone, but I liked your first choice. Manila in the beginning. There's a lot to know about the Philippines before going off to Cebu or Subic.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
In smaller cities, like Dumaguete, there are areas like the Boulevard where some foreigners walk their dogs.
Don't Dumaguete have enough Internet for his need, so he can get all needs fulfilled in one place?  A few years ago a foreigner with IT business told me he found it ok there, but messures changes   :)

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Olongapo 2nd, Cebu 3rd, but Manila/Quezon City would be more practical for the intitial stay. Any area eg Timog, Eastwood, Fort Bonifacio, if not Makati.

I agree with the Manila/QC picks of Timog, Eastwood, Fort Bonifacio, Makati.

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Bottom line, an expat needs to live where he will fit in, or life will be difficult.  Younger expats are resented by both provincial Filipinos and older foreigners, for the same reason....insecurity and jealousy.  Definitely best for the young guys to live in the city where they can mingle with their peers, be it locals or expats.  One thing I will caution the OP about is to consider the source when receiving advice on the Philippines, as that was a mistake that I made prior to coming.  I was listening to a bunch of retirement age expats who had basically bought and paid for their wives, relatives and Filipino friends...so it was a bit of a shock when I came here to the province, immersed myself living as an equal, and didn't find quite the same delusional utopia as others had.  Something to think about. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info John, normally I limit my advice to just my personal experiences as there are others who have lived here longer than I. But this time I am going to put on my "ole man" hat. So this is the 11BZ5 calling the 11B20 into the office for some CSM to young Sergeant counseling.

I am ex-military. I've been all throughout Europe, deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan and I've also traveled to Malaysia twice. So I feel like I 'kind-of' know what I'm getting myself into, so that's a plus.

I thought the same. Like yourself in 33 years in the Army I went all over the world (and since I am married to a Filipina visited the Philippines several times over the years) and assumed that I was prepared for cultural differences. Just remember that you will be living in the Philippines not deployed or stationed here. There is no FOB to return to after a 3 day patrol. No Post Exchange and slice of America to visit for a quick Pop eyes chicken lunch. When you move here you will be living out in the "ville". On the bright side, because of your past experience you will be better able to adapt to the changes you WILL encounter.

I'm not married, not attached, and there isn't a girl that's making me decide to move

We here on the board love your types. Make sure you let us know when you get in country and we will start a pool to see how long that lasts. You and your brother will be prime targets here. Just be careful.

I LOVE my job and I can do it anywhere

I am going to assume that your job is somehow computer related. Since you two have no attachments here what so ever, I am going to suggest that you start off in the Manila area. Why? Better infrastructure to insure your business is not interrupted. You have the luxury to take your time, explore and choose a long term place to set up. You really don't want anything to interrupt your cash flow here.

Speaking of cash, insure that you have plenty. Have an emergency fund set aside that will not be touched to buy a ticket home. There is NO security net here, none what so ever, nada, none, zilch! The embassy will not help one bit. There is no salvation army, no homeless shelters or crash pads. You run out of money here and your toast :bash: .

But the bottom line is your doing the right thing, asking questions, gathering intel, making a plan, refining the plan, asking more questions then implementing your plan.

Oh, what type of dog do you have anyway? :tiphat:  :tiphat:

• Like 3

John Kirby
Posted
Posted

Bottom line, an expat needs to live where he will fit in, or life will be difficult.  Younger expats are resented by both provincial Filipinos and older foreigners, for the same reason....insecurity and jealousy.  Definitely best for the young guys to live in the city where they can mingle with their peers, be it locals or expats. 

Call me ignorant but I never thought about these issues.

Do you think they would pose a legitimate problem?