Balikbayan Program Verses Wife With Dual Citizenship?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Yes... See the memorandum...

Put the Link up and then we all can see

DavidK
Posted
Posted

It's always fun when you hit immigration: "Where's your return ticket?", "Don't have one", "Why not?", "I live here", "We could send you back", "To where? I live here with my Filipino wife".

Mutter, mutter here's your 30-day stamp, get lost.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Wife is dual citizen, she wants us to stay longer than a year,  understand Balikbayan program good for 1 year. 

The Info from the BI is quoted below but I have heard from others that you do need to complete an application to downgrade from BB to temporary visitor if you stay longer than 1 year.  That would be more paperwork and additional cost if true but I am not sure how much.  Check with BI for costs etc but it CAN be done.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-previlege

Those who are admitted as Balikbayans are given an initial stay of one (1) year. They may extend their stay for another one (1), two (2) or six (6) months provided that they present their valid passport and filled out the visa extension form and submit it to the Visa Extension Section in the BI Main Office or any BI Offices nationwide. An additional requirement will be ask for Balikbayans who have stayed in the Philippines after thirty six (36) months.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Read BossMan's entries just before mine... He refers to the memo and the pertinent part in 2 separate posts...

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Read BossMan's entries just before mine... He refers to the memo and the pertinent part in 2 separate posts...

Not needed by me so those that need can but as well all know These things written or not can change at a mins notice and even then, it all depends on what the Immigration stamping your Passport had for Breakfast EH? So before I Bow out of this one, I will just Wish W&M all the best on the issue

Jack :)

Morning All  :morning1:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I'm also out. Humbly admitting the only time I did it was in 2007, clearly before the new memorandum was in effect.

Does not apply to me, but thanks for all the clarifications and updates.

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just out of curiosity, I just called PAL (my airline choice when traveling) to specifically confirm their policy and understanding of this process... I asked the lady to confirm that no onward ticket is required prior to boarding when traveling with your wife to move to the Philippines for purposes of attaining a Balikbayan stamp (priviledge). I asked this in black and white and requested confirmation from her on the phone-after being put on hold twice-she came back and said (exact quote)...yes sir, I believe that's correct.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 4

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I will not ask this question again!!! I thank all of you that replied and in summation have come to the conclusion that better safe than sorry in the circumstance regarding Balikbayan and dual citizenship travel. You all have been great, maybe I'll met a few of you in the next year or so. Take care!!!

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just out of curiosity, I just called PAL (my airline choice when traveling)

Philippine Airline also happens to be designated as the official airline for balikbayans so if anyone is up to date with the knowledge then they will be.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I entered the Philippines twice with my wife in on year (2014) and received a new 1 year BB stamp both times. The two trips were only 4 months apart.

• Like 3