Bacolod Foreigner Friendly?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Bacolod is known as the City of smiles but I have been watching an American's opinion of the city where he states that the people are not friendly. He was only there about 5 days but is his opinion correct in the view of any of you guys who live there or have visited. 

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

this place works for me ..... and we have been here almost 3 years ..... before that in cebu city for 5 + ...... we don't miss cebu except for the occasional lack of some stuff we can't find here ..... we have grown to adapt .... life is not as fast paced and i do find the people more friendly ..... jmho :thumbsup:

:cheersty:find here

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
watching an American's opinion of the city where he states that the people are not friendly.

Do you know, is he talking about the female people or the male people not friendly?  I heard they closed down almost all the red light bars to build a City Mall but that was second hand info.  Would that color his opinion?

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is that with Mike from my Philippine journey-vlog about 2 months ago? I thought a bit quick on the draw to say that too. It's hard to make a true assessment when you are just "passing through" vs living there like Mike S.

Had he encountered one really good experience, likely he would not have said this.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

watching an American's opinion of the city where he states that the people are not friendly.

Do you know, is he talking about the female people or the male people not friendly?  I heard they closed down almost all the red light bars to build a City Mall but that was second hand info.  Would that color his opinion?

No it had nothing to do with that. He is not into nightlife, just travelling around the Philippines.

Is that with Mike from my Philippine journey-vlog about 2 months ago? I thought a bit quick on the draw to say that too. It's hard to make a true assessment when you are just "passing through" vs living there like Mike S.

Had he encountered one really good experience, likely he would not have said this.

You are correct, it was his statement. Funny thing I just watched another video from a wanker who calls himself the Rabbi and he said the same thing that the people were not friendly but as he is videoing and getting no response from the locals when he calls out good morning. Someone commented on the video and said,

rabbi that's not the way to say good morning in bacolod. they don't understand you in bisaya. they speak in illonggo. you're better off saying good morning, they would understand that.

:no:

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

No it had nothing to do with that. He is not into nightlife, just travelling around the Philippines.

You are correct, it was his statement. Funny thing I just watched another video from a wanker who calls himself the Rabbi and he said the same thing that the people were not friendly but as he is videoing and getting no response from the locals when he calls out good morning. Someone commented on the video and said,

rabbi that's not the way to say good morning in bacolod. they don't understand you in bisaya. they speak in illonggo. you're better off saying good morning, they would understand that.

:no:

You know, that ""Rabbi"" walking all through the market saying Maayon Buntag all over the place to vendors and everyone of them (rightfully) looking at him like he has a third eye. That scrubby 'ol guy treats the locals like they are inanimate objects to be put on display. My point with these guys is-if you are going to be vlogging..try to "represent" a little better - I got to walk that same path at a certain time.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
You know, that ""Rabbi"" walking all through the market saying Maayon Buntag all over the place to vendors and everyone of them (rightfully) looking at him like he has a third eye. That scrubby 'ol guy treats the locals like they are inanimate objects to be put on display. My point with these guys is-if you are going to be vlogging..
If he walk around making video, then he kind of HAVE a third eye  :)
Quote rabbi that's not the way to say good morning in bacolod. they don't understand you in bisaya. they speak in illonggo. you're better off saying good morning, they would understand that. :no:
According to some oppinions, Ilongos from IloIlo region is known for being nicer in average than people in Cebu. For them, who know both that and Bacolod - any difference in people there and in Bacolod region?
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Funny thing as my night progressed watching more videos on the subject of Bacolod I come across a video of an expat talking about the exact two people I were talking about and this same subject. It's Just a coincidence and true so I will share the the video.

:AddEmoticons04230: :AddEmoticons04230: :AddEmoticons04230: :AddEmoticons04230: ...... to the above video producer ........ i wonder why the rabbi didn't speak to them in russian ... they might have understood when he said good morning ..... some people are really ignorant they feel that everyone here in the phils either speaks tagalog or cebuano .... and it just ain't so ..... especially at a local market where you have a lot of people less educated or from the sticks ...... i would love to see how friendly the rabbi feels the cebuanos are ..... jmho ..... :mocking: 

:cheersty:

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Agreed as we all have different inturprecations of different situations.

We visit Bacolod at least once a week usually stay over couple nights. After living in Cebu I would say the Baccolod people in my view are definitely more reserved with foreigners, no where near as open as Cebuanos. Once one make the first approach they are indeed friendly although English is no where near as freely spoken as Cebu, or understood.

The girls I suspect are very shy as totally different from Cebu, although this is different in the red light area. Yes Dave City Mall is occupying a large chunk of the area and just one original note spot remains which has relocated. Another one did open recently in the area but nothing like before.

• Like 1